Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Gizalba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2015, 12:04 pm

Hello, I wondered if anyone here is diagnosed with obsessive compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) and could tell me what is is like to have? (it is otherwise known as Anankastic personality disorder in the ICD-10). I hear OCPD is quite rare though, so if anyone with an OCD and ASD diagnosis wants to reply with how OCD effects them, that would also be helpful.

Background: For a long time psychiatrists told me I had borderline personality disorder (BPD), although I never felt like that made sense regarding my symptoms. I then came across Asperger's syndrome and read a lot about that, which seemed to explain my difficulties really well, so I wondered (still wonder) whether I have ASD. However following an in-depth 5 session assessment with a psychologist, the professional conclusion now is that I don't have BPD, and actually probably have OCPD.

Reading about OCPD, research suggests that it crosses over a lot with Asperger's, like OCD does. Therefore perhaps I have OCPD that just resembles autism a lot due to the overlap in symptoms. However I'm still trying to figure this out.

Note: This disorder is different to OCD (anxiety disorder), as it is a personality disorder. The below that I found on the NHS website explains the distinction between the two a bit, but I still find it hard to understand the difference:

This personality disorder differs from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), a related mental health condition, in several important ways:

- People with OCD are aware that their behaviour is abnormal and are anxious about it. Most people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder think their behaviour is perfectly acceptable and have no desire to change it.

- Some people with OCD are compelled to carry out rituals, such as having to touch every second lamppost as they walk down the street. This is not usually the case with people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder.

- People with OCD may feel compelled to make lists or organise items in their house, but feel anxious about doing so. People with obsessive compulsive personality disorder find relief from anxiety when doing such tasks and may become irritated when prevented from doing so.