Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:18 pm

He could. It's only for 4 months.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Feb 2015, 7:23 pm

I've had fairly positive experiene with VR lately and have hopes for what they can do for me in the future, I've been doing some trial work with IT stuff lately. It's more learning than actually working, it's more of classroom than it is a job plus I'm not getting paid yet but I've used the opportunity to learn as much as I can about computers in this short time. They say they might pay for me to go to school which is obviously a real opportunity if that's possible and I'm hoping to start WAT or whatever and get paid soon, maybe they'll hook me up with a job too. I'm just jumping thru the hoops and doing what they tell me to since I don't have anything else going for me. Last time I tried VR they had me at KMart and that was not a good experience, I moved out on my own now in the big city where there is more opportunity.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:32 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I'm just jumping thru the hoops and doing what they tell me to since I don't have anything else going for me.

This is my attitude as well.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 11:12 pm

Small update: Got a call back from VR yesterday (Thurs) spoke with the manager at my local center and my case manager and was told that good will recommended that I return to their program for interviewing/resume writing skills (something that I can just youtube) and community re-integration program I also mentioned that goodwill wanted to 'place me' in a job to see where my weakness lays which would be the retail sector both me and somebody whom helped on my behalf said that it would be more beneficial for me to be placed in an computer (or broadcasting) related field and that goodwill is more self serving then beneficial for somebody with my skill set & that I have letters of recommendation stating how well I did during their work evaluation.

So I have a meeting this upcoming Wednesday to go over what can be done in terms of a real job placement not something that it retail or fast food orientated.

Hopefully I will be placed in a decent job soon

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 1:06 am

I hope you get a data entry job. You'd be doing what I do!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 10:41 am

JoelFan wrote:
...good will recommended that I return to their program for interviewing/resume writing skills
... goodwill wanted to 'place me' in a job to see where my weakness lays which would be the retail sector both me and somebody whom helped on my behalf said that it would be more beneficial for me to be placed in an computer (or broadcasting) related field

Good grief. Why are they looking to find your weaknesses and not your strengths?! That seems backwards. Most people seek work that fits their skillset, not to challenge their weaknesses.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 12:39 pm

androbot01 wrote:
JoelFan wrote:
...good will recommended that I return to their program for interviewing/resume writing skills
... goodwill wanted to 'place me' in a job to see where my weakness lays which would be the retail sector both me and somebody whom helped on my behalf said that it would be more beneficial for me to be placed in an computer (or broadcasting) related field

Good grief. Why are they looking to find your weaknesses and not your strengths?! That seems backwards. Most people seek work that fits their skillset, not to challenge their weaknesses.

Because according to my work contract (for lack of a better word) Goodwill is getting 34 bucks an hour off my name so yeah they want to milk this for all that I am worth.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 1:42 pm

Ah...of course, profit before common sense.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 4:04 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Ah...of course, profit before common sense.

Yep and Goodwill lacks any common sense lol

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 4:37 pm

VR only helped with the simple things. They didn't give me any kind of testing or job placements or anything related to the disability I applied with, just $75 a month transportation check to look for jobs, money for new job clothes, and a job coach who helped me write resumés and cover letters (which I already knew how to do). I had to find the job myself, and I was on my own for the job testing and interviews. After I complained about going insane from the noise on my bus ride to work, they did get me some noise-isolating headphones.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 4:44 pm

starkid wrote:
After I complained about going insane from the noise on my bus ride to work, they did get me some noise-isolating headphones.

The noise on the bus is dreadful! And all the awkward jostling of people. Still though, better than walking.

I start my training program week after next. Don't know what to expect really. There are 8 people in it, so I'll be meeting new people which could be cool. And they pay for my bus pass while I'm in the program.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:56 pm

Just a small update the meeting that was scheduled for this week had to be postponed due to an injury somebody suffered as of this time I dunno when I'll be able to see and discuss my thoughts on their work goals.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 9:06 am

JoelFan wrote:
Just a small update the meeting that was scheduled for this week had to be postponed due to an injury somebody suffered as of this time I dunno when I'll be able to see and discuss my thoughts on their work goals.

That's frustrating. I thought I was starting my program on Monday, but I haven't heard anything. I called and left a message, but it wasn't returned. Urgg!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 4:28 pm

So, they finally returned my call today (the day the program was supposed to start,) and it's been postponed indefinitely due to lack of enrollment. So that's it.... a holding pattern.
I'm bummed because I was enthusiastic to do this. And also because it's probably my only route back to employment.

I fear I am officially a welfare bumb. I'm not sure where to go from here.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 5:25 pm

Just a small update on my end I've got a tentative reschedule date which is scheduled for next friday so well see how it goes.

androbot01, See if you could get temporary assistance through SS office or local groups until your local VR office is able to enroll you...also you may want to check with a supervisor at your local office inform them of your situation and ask if there's a program that you could be placed into until they are able to enroll you

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 7:22 pm

JoelFan wrote:
Just a small update on my end I've got a tentative reschedule date which is scheduled for next friday so well see how it goes.

androbot01, See if you could get temporary assistance through SS office or local groups until your local VR office is able to enroll you...also you may want to check with a supervisor at your local office inform them of your situation and ask if there's a program that you could be placed into until they are able to enroll you

Hopefully better this time around?