Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 3:23 pm

Hey gang, right now I'm at a stand still with VR as they want me to go back to a local goodwill center for what they call "community integration training" despite the fact my work evaluation (from the same company) has stated I am at or near competitive employment status. I've tried mentioning that to my VR case manager and she kept telling me you have to go back to Goodwill because "it's a part of the program" I have seen where goodwill's "community integration" staff's people and it's retail...I've already been there and done not to mention being on the floor with florescent lights and music doesn't really do anything for my sensory issues.I know what I want to do I have some knowledge in the field that I want to get into however it seams that goodwill won't help staff me in the job/field that I want to get into but rather want me to settle for the "bottom of the barrel" type of jobs I've been told by somebody whom works with those whom are on the spectrum that VR and/or goodwill is a "one size fits all" and giving the fact that I am high functioning I will fall through the cracks (which has been the story of my life)

I'm looking to see if I can bring in an advocate to help speak on my behalf so that I can perhaps get my foot into the door in a real job.

My question for this group is: Has anybody really had any good experiences or success with finding a job using VR or goodwill? My class schedule has changed and I'm now doing two classes a week (which takes a lot out of me) and I need a day to recoup I mentioned that my class schedule has changed to one of my case managers at goodwill he basically said that it would be "futile" for me to even bother with the community integration program.

I want to try to make some side money this year but I don't want to have to resort to bottom of the barrel type of jobs. but I dunno what to do

Anybody have any advice?

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 11:11 pm

nobody?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:55 am

I would concentrate on the classes and get the advocate.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 10:03 am

JoelFan wrote:
nobody?

A lot of folks don't get on at the weekends.

I never participated in any programs like that, but, like Kortie suggests, if you can get an advocate, that could help.

Good luck with the classes.

Personally, I would be trying to find my own job outside of a gig you already know you wouldn't fit in.
As for avoiding bottom of the barrel jobs, I'm not sure what to say about that. When I was in college, I did restaurant and retail. The next step up from those tended to be the typical 9-5 m-f jobs, and that's not feasible if you're doing classes during the day (I did switch to night classes, which were less stressful for me anyway, the teachers tend to be daytime professionals, as do the other students, it's much more chill and practical, so, before I graduated, I had a typical m-f job, but, it was 7-3, which I loved, avoiding rush hour.).

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 7:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would concentrate on the classes and get the advocate.

Well I got a small progress to report somebody on my behalf reported to VR that the whole Goodwill/retail is a joke being that it's below my skill set and will be contacting them to see if I could get placed in a job where I could be working with computers (doing what I dunno) tho I am going to have them emphasis the area I want to get into with luck maybe some strings could be pulled and I can get my foot into the door.

Everybody I have talked to (outside of VR) have told me that I shouldn't have to settle for retail or fast food and that I am more "higher functioning" then that.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 6:47 am

I started with a local VR specifically for people with mental illness just last month. I get the feeling I will end up in a pretty basic job.
Today I have a meeting with two case workers to determine my "path through the program." One has already said she wants me to enter a 16 hr/week, 4 month program. I am nervous as I would like to be offered this opportunity, but it will also be a major change. And then theres the chance that they may suggest something completely different.

I get the feeling, though, that it's best to just go with whatever they suggest.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 7:17 am

I hope you get, at the very least, a clerical-level job.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 7:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope you get, at the very least, a clerical-level job.

Thanks :D I guess they have a bunch of employers that they work with. One is gardening place which would be cool. But yeah, clerical would be good.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

So JoelFan, have you had any luck with an appropriate placement?

I had my appointment today and they accepted me into the program. They are friendly and supportive, but I can't bring myself to trust them.
And for some reason I feel like crying. I think I've been off work too long and am starting to lose it.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 5:10 pm

androbot01 wrote:

I had my appointment today and they accepted me into the program. They are friendly and supportive, but I can't bring myself to trust them.
And for some reason I feel like crying. I think I've been off work too long and am starting to lose it.

Hi, Not as of yet...I've got the names of a few higher up's that I am slated to talk to but I am holding very little hope as I've been told by people on the outside whom has connections on the inside it's a "one size fits all" I dunno what state you live in hopefully they are a little bit more progressive with finding the right services that matches your needs.

When I do speak to the person or person(s) I'll do a follow up. Tho right now I'm looking at a possible opportunity at the college I go to to work in their book store as it's quiet not brightly lit so I don't think I'd have to worry about sensory overload.

It just seams that there's more resources for children and teens on the spectrum but when one is an adult they are f****d in a sense that there's very little resources and what is out there tends to be for those with various stages of ID or more severe stages of Autism.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 5:20 pm

That's great! I've worked in a couple of bookstores over the years and they were not bad.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 6:56 pm

androbot01 wrote:

Hi, Some minor progress was made while I was in classes today I had somebody call in and speak to a supervisor at a local VR office and relayed what I had typed up for the person the night before, the supervisor at VR was upset that I was being boxed into a category that is below my skill set and informed the person whom called on my behalf that she will be looking into seeing what placement would be more appropriate for a person like me whom is high functioning that is not in the retail sector (computers and/or broadcast ops was hinted) Likewise the supervisor will be talking with my current Case manager to see if there's other resources they have besides Goodwill as there's an agreement that goodwill would more then likely be a waste of time.

So some progress is being made

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:08 pm

Sounds good to me, JoelFan!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:08 pm

Cool 8)
The would be great if you could get into technology!

I start my program week after next. Wish I could just start now, I'm so anxious about it. I don't entirely trust them. They're all so young and inexperienced and neurotypical. I know they want to help, but they don't understand what it's like to be mentally ill.

Also, there is my dog. I have to be out of the apartment four hours four days per week. I can't leave him alone because he will bark. So I can either get a shock collar and hope that works, or leave him with my Mom which she is happy to do. But Mom's a little loopy and I fear for what might happen.

I hope I'm not doing this just to get some goofy job.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:10 pm

It's better if you leave Henry with your mother.

Otherwise, the landlord might try to screw you by saying your dog's barking too much.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:18 pm

He could. It's only for 4 months.