Afraid of being alone forever?

Page 16 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2015, 1:50 pm

Outrider wrote:
Regarding the whole 'I make the effort but it doesn't work' thing, maybe your classmates think you are 'trying too hard' as they call it.

For some people there can be a very fine line between being seen as "desperate"/"needy"/"trying too hard" one hand and "content"/"invisible". Certainly the "stop trying and it'll happen" kind of advice is not universally applicable.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 5:06 pm

What are you studying in college?

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 7:42 pm

mpe wrote:
goofygoobers wrote:
When I invite people to do things, they NEVER DO THEM.

What kind of things do you tend to invite them to do?
Quote:
When I approach people, they NEVER want to initiate ANYTHING. I'm tired of doing all the work in any kind of relationship. I thought this kind of stuff was a two way street. I'm so damn tired of feeling alone and stuck with being the annoying girl no one wants to be around. Do you understand?!

I understand exactly what you are saying :(
Which rather goes against the idea of aspie women finding things less difficult than aspie men.
Do you also feel that whilst you are "doing all the work" you have little clue if what you are doing might be right or wrong?

I invite them to normal things like going to the movies (cinema).

I feel as if I go into relationships with a blindfold over my eyes. I can only guess where I'm at and what I'm perceiving.

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2015, 9:49 pm

One of my greatest fears.

The best advice I can give is that eventually you'll find the right person/people to be around.

Antharis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2015, 11:32 pm

goofygoobers wrote:
mpe wrote:
goofygoobers wrote:
When I invite people to do things, they NEVER DO THEM.

What kind of things do you tend to invite them to do?
Quote:
When I approach people, they NEVER want to initiate ANYTHING. I'm tired of doing all the work in any kind of relationship. I thought this kind of stuff was a two way street. I'm so damn tired of feeling alone and stuck with being the annoying girl no one wants to be around. Do you understand?!

I understand exactly what you are saying :(
Which rather goes against the idea of aspie women finding things less difficult than aspie men.
Do you also feel that whilst you are "doing all the work" you have little clue if what you are doing might be right or wrong?

I invite them to normal things like going to the movies (cinema).

I feel as if I go into relationships with a blindfold over my eyes. I can only guess where I'm at and what I'm perceiving.

I know 100% where you're coming from with the blindfold comment. This is why it's important you focus on friends now, since people at that precise age are more receptive to letting new people into their lives.
Do you have someone you could consult about your doubts/impressions? a buddy or some sort of social butterfly that is in the same environment? I'm thinking if you had at least an NT buddy they could give you a better perspective than any of us could on account of being there.
As for feeling like you're doing all the effort, the silver lining is, you find the keepers when you find people that reciprocate (This is something everyone has issues with, even NTs) . I had to go out of my way to approach people, and that's how I found my friend circles. I've gotten used to just pursuing my love interests and being the one to convey my feelings first since it's the only way I'll get a chance at dating the guys I actually want. It's very hit/miss and a lot of guys are thrown off by girls that pursue, but there are also a lot of guys that just won't realize what's going on if you don't tell them, NT AND Aspie alike.

Maybe this helps a bit more?

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 4:05 pm

I can relate because very few guys show interest in me and the few that do seem to just want to stop feeling lonely and lose interest pretty fast. I guess just keep trying and look for people who share common interests

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 4:25 pm

slw1990 wrote:
I can relate because very few guys show interest in me and the few that do seem to just want to stop feeling lonely and lose interest pretty fast. I guess just keep trying and look for people who share common interests

girl?

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 7:15 pm

Yes, I'm a girl.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

sly meets slw.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 11:29 pm

I bet one of the guys on here would be attracted to you if we met you in person. Maybe you should try to meet someone on here.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 12:09 am

You're situation could be far worse and in some regards is not to different from my own course, but more than likely less of a satirical or ironic tale.

I have the same concern stuck in the back of my head, but have some faith that it will one day sort itself out. Don't know how or when, but I have hope. Hope and lots of time to fill with my creative misadventures. Better to keep your head high and your spirit higher than use my approach, it's a little date dr say the least

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 1:45 am

slw1990 wrote:
Yes, I'm a girl.

what's slw mean?

its hard to find similar interest with women i find. but suppose that means women suffer the same problem with men, though I could just be super odd.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 1:47 am

for some of use we are already living forever alone.

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2015, 6:16 pm

I have felt this way. I have actually met people and been in relationships but am once again single. I sometimes think that I shall not find anyone again who I will click with. Though, sometimes you do meet people when/where you least expect it.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 6:25 pm

MrBear wrote:
sometimes you do meet people when/where you least expect it.

That's one of the sad truths of this endless dance. More often than not we find a pearl not when we endlessly search for it, but when we least expect it Just have to keep going in the hopes of one day reaching the other side. Still can't deny that I've seen more from this pursuit than anything else in my life. It's not all good, but I still have a few memories that will last :)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 11:45 pm

The problem is not looks. And since you are here I assume your on the spectrum (correct me if wrong).

The problem I think I see most often in these situations, when we are talking about a young person, is they are slower to develop social skills, need to learn to identify and modify certain behaviors perhaps and develop compensation techniques for any obstacles the condition has created for them. That is not an easy task. It must vary a lot from person to person, but in my case at least I thought I was about 5-6 years behind my peers. Not in all things, or even most things, but definately in the interpersonal skills area.

And there is no certainty about how far one can go with this, towards being able to fit in successfully and be able to relate and understand other people (NTs). This much I can say. With effort, you will progress. Also, from the limited amount you have written my gut feeling is that you are not really that far back on the curve.

Have patience, and have confidence in your ability to overcome difficulties. And probably you will.