Afraid of being alone forever?

Page 16 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 11:45 pm

The problem is not looks. And since you are here I assume your on the spectrum (correct me if wrong).

The problem I think I see most often in these situations, when we are talking about a young person, is they are slower to develop social skills, need to learn to identify and modify certain behaviors perhaps and develop compensation techniques for any obstacles the condition has created for them. That is not an easy task. It must vary a lot from person to person, but in my case at least I thought I was about 5-6 years behind my peers. Not in all things, or even most things, but definately in the interpersonal skills area.

And there is no certainty about how far one can go with this, towards being able to fit in successfully and be able to relate and understand other people (NTs). This much I can say. With effort, you will progress. Also, from the limited amount you have written my gut feeling is that you are not really that far back on the curve.

Have patience, and have confidence in your ability to overcome difficulties. And probably you will.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 12:03 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
sly meets slw.

:lol:

halleluhwah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2015, 12:29 am

I think your first time having sex and your first relationship are kind of just things you have to trust will happen.

I remember, before I did either of those things, I thought I never would. It was hard even just to imagine myself in a relationship or having sex. It felt wrong somehow, like I didn't have the right, or like I wasn't really made for that kind of thing. Partly, this was the result of a lifetime full of invalidation from others who were homophobic or ableist. But I think most people struggle with this sort of anxiety to some degree when they reach a certain age.

People say that once you have sex, you'll realize it's not that big of a deal. And that's true, but in a way, realizing that it isn't a big deal is itself a big deal. And it becomes possible to look at yourself as a sexual being, and as somebody who deserves to be loved and to have that kind of pleasure.

I found my first boyfriend using okcupid, and it was pretty awkward when we first met. Afterwards, the relationship itself wasn't that fun or that healthy, and I think both of us were in a bad place and not right for one another. But it definitely brought me to a place where I can meet people and feel kind of comfortable having sex or going on dates (usually with the help of some alcohol). Spending some time hanging out with a bunch of radical queers made me even more sex-positive and open to new experiences.

You're pretty (based on the photos in the OP), which unfortunately counts for something in our culture. But even if you weren't, you would eventually be able to find somebody to love.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:14 pm

You didn't answer what you study, people's type often differ per major.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Medical Laboratory Technology

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm

Cool! There's a great need for people in your field of study.

narcolepticpenguin
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2015, 8:39 pm

I am a guy,and a nerd/adventurer,outdoorsman,former boxer/poet/horror writer. aspie at the same time iv dated quite alot,I dont really go much for physical attraction either,but certain things I have noticed do really bother me in a women,like 1 girl I was with for a month,I really did not like the fact she had really short upper teeth,shed smile id smile shed laugh id laugh,but the second I saw her teeth I had to hold back from wretching. she was a bigger women but I liked her,on the other end iv dated all kinds of women,one girl I didnt like her because she told me she wanted me to be more physically aggressive,another was just offensivly dumb. yet each time I had to be the guy who initiated the contact,from my experience most guys dont know how to react when a girl asks them out because they wont flat out say hey want to go out? they do girly stuff. I have friends who I consider really attractive women but I wont date themm,and iv explained to their boy friends that im just a friend nothing more,they dont understand why but they have come to accept it,so to wind this down,most guys like somebody to chase like show a guy u like to be around that you and him have the same interests but dont quite say I like you until he shows for sure he likes you too. also maybe if your meeting epople online,people online can quite often be very fake about who they truly are,maybe try meeting more guys around friends

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 4:50 am

goofygoobers wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Medical Laboratory Technology

Bunch of nerds then?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 2:08 pm

The OP has a boyfriend now, this thread is not necessary anymore.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 2:33 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

what about the rest of us alone forever people?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:22 am

sly279 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

You eat nutella.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Xelatoneffer wrote:
I feel the same way at 28. I didn't find anyone til I was 25 but it only lasted 1 month In person (she lived in Germany). She wasn't accepting of my aspergers or depression and said it was just an excuse. Afterwards I didn't feel anymore confident or optimistic. Then again almost a year ago with a girl I met at work but it only lasted 3 weeks. I made the mistake of telling her about my aspergers and depression. Dumped me the next day for BS reasons. I've joined an Aspie meetup group to put myself out there more but all the girls in the group are married. I think some people will never know that life or only get a couple short samples of that life.

I've read once an article ages ago by a female aspie attends adult aspie meetups, and she said how noticeable how all the females there were in relationships while all males were not.

So I don't think the OP has to worry much, even WP is showing this trend too.

I declare myself a prophet.

I am always right in this....again, and again....and 100th again :lol:

Btw, congrats OP.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:21 am

@Face of Boo: When did the oP say this? Through PM?

If so thats amazing - a 'forever alone' thread being exactly what helped them find someone.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 10:13 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
sly279 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

You eat nutella.

ewww. that stuffs nasty.

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2015, 10:15 pm

Outrider wrote:
@Face of Boo: When did the oP say this? Through PM?

If so thats amazing - a 'forever alone' thread being exactly what helped them find someone.

I think having a vagina probably helped her a great deal more than this thread did. :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 4:15 am

I've my own, let's see if it's gonna work and gets me a gf within months :lol:.