Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

J-H-H
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

Note: Please don't comment on this thread purely to say that ghosts and psychic abilities don't exist. Please be polite.

When I was as young as four years old, I used to be somewhat psychic, according to my family. My brother also apparently saw some things, but neither I, or him, remember any of this. I have had some encounters and dreamed about places that I've never seen, only to visit them later.

Okay, I'll tell you my story. Four years before I was born, my aunt's husband died from lung cancer. They lived with us and they didn't have any children. My aunt is my mother's half sister, and she practically raised my older brother. My mom was busy with work at the time, so my aunt walked him to school and taught him a lot of things. Her husband was always very kind to my brother, and he was kind of like a father figure to him, you might say. Let's call him John.

Four and a half years after John died, I was born. As I grew up I didn't know much about him, I was too young to understand. When I was about three or four years old I was walking home from kindergarten with my mother. I suddenly started to talk about the man that I claimed always walked with us, but my mom became confused and said that there was no one there. I said: "Oh you know him. It's the man we sometimes visit in the cemetery, his name is John." According to my mom I described him perfectly.

I think I was two years old when I sat in the kitchen and suddenly I looked up, my eyes following something, as if there was a person entering the kitchen. I grinned and watched until I was looking at the chair in the corner. Then I stopped smiling, as if that someone had sit down, and resumed eating. My mother's friend saw this and she believed that I saw John, since that had been his seat when he was alive.

What are some stories that you'd like to share?

(I hope that I posted this in the right category by the way, had some trouble haha)

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm

Not sure if you'd call it psychic.

When I became a Christian, I became more involved with people. And as I became more involved, I began to believe that my "gift" was prophecy. In the circles I was in, prophecy meant speaking what God wants said, like a prophet does. It was no big deal for me - just every once in a while something came out of my mouth that was... well... prophetic.

I remember one girl, a close friend who doubted me because I wasn't a pentecostal. We were at a pentecostal service together and the pastor was preaching. About 20 minutes into his sermon, I turned to her and strung a sentence together that made sense of what he was saying. She nodded politely. Then the pastor said exactly the same thing, word for word. She turned to me with her mouth on the floor, stunned. I had several instances like this, where I seemed to pull a logical or even spiritual conclusion out of thin air, with no comprehension of how I had done so.

Years later I learned about quantum leaping, which in this respect is a brain function where you come to a logical conclusion before taking the steps in logic. You arrive at the answer almost immediately because your brain has a way of intuiting the answer, and in your mind you know it's correct.

I've since seen many people do this very thing, and make it seem like magic. It usually comes with a bunch of experience on the topic, but not always. When I first got into IT, a colleague was able to fault find computer networks with this same quantum leaping ability, and then after years of experience, I was able to do the same.

So what seemed like prophecy to me was really a trick of the mind where it intuits a logical response, better and faster than using a logic process. It's a buzz when it happens, and perhaps that's why it feels like something supernatural.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm

Once upon a time, I was working at a new age store, doing some coding and computer maintenance. A customer came in and talked to the manager, who came into the back where I was working. She was carrying a camera. She told me that it wouldn't take pictures anymore, and asked if I could have a look at it.

Not only did I find that the shutter mechanism needed servicing, but that the bellows were cracked in several places (it was one of those old Polaroid instant cameras). So I serviced the shutter and replaced the bellows from a similar camera that had a broken case. I took a few test shots and everything seemed as good as new.

The customer seemed happy when she left the shop, but she came back later and insisted that I had somehow damaged her camera. It seems that she was one of those ghost hunters with a "magic" camera that could take pictures of ghosts - every picture she showed from before me had blobs and streaks of light overlaying the background.

The manager insisted that I "do something", so I took the camera into the back room, and with an Ex-Acto knife and a hatpin, I added some holes and slits to the bellows. Five minutes later, I came back out and asked her to take my picture.

Sure enough, the "ghosts" had returned. The customer thanked me and asked me what I had done. I told her that I had performed a little-known ritual that re-opened the portals to the Spirit Realm. She was awe-struck, and gave me $40 for the repair job, and a hug that would have made a pimp blush.

Moral #1: All of the facts in the world mean nothing to those who believe otherwise.

Moral #2: There is money to be made as a psychic.

Moral #3: BBWs give awesome hugs!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:52 am

Quote:
"A psychic is a person who claims to use extrasensory perception (ESP) to identify information hidden from the normal senses."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic

The normal senses are traditionally considered as five that are touch, sight, hearing, smelling, and taste.

And now science indicates that proprioception is an important enough sense to be considered as a sixth sense.

And along with this additional sense, there are other senses, including:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense

Quote:
temperature (thermoception), kinesthetic sense (proprioception), pain (nociception), balance (equilibrioception), and various internal stimuli (e.g. the different chemoreceptors for detecting salt and carbon dioxide concentrations in the blood), only a small number of these can safely be classified as separate senses in and of themselves. What constitutes a sense is a matter of some debate, leading to difficulties in defining what exactly a sense is.

Quote:
Some species of animals are able to sense the world in a way that humans cannot, with some species able to sense electrical and magnetic fields, and detect water pressure and currents.

In addition, there are also abilities in affective empathy that not all humans share, as well as emotional contagion, and mirror neurons that are less or more sensitive.

Some human beings can literally feel the touch of someone else touching someone else from a distant, the same as if that person was touching them.

And this applies to other senses, as well, like smell and taste.

I have extreme tactile sensitivity, and my abilities in the emotional contagion of this heightened human ability are far beyond the experience described by some other folks in life.

So in that way, I have psychic abilities that some folks share with me and some do not.

Of course it is all natural. IT is just an ability that not all folks experience in their separate perceptions of their own unique Universe.

But nah, psychic phenomenon DOES NOT HAVE TO BE SUPERNATURAL, IT CAN JUST BE WHAT SCIENCE CURRENTLY HAS NO EXPLANATION FOR.

My wife has the ability to perceive the difference that occurs when another person's perception of time suddenly changes.

That is quite an odd ability, considering there has only been one time in my life, where the experience of time suddenly slowed dramatically without any ingested or injected substance, and my wife experienced and described the precisely same experience while I was experiencing it walking around the block WITH HER.

We checked the News, ha! ha!, and determined it wasn't a world-wide event, he! he!. :)

But never the less, it was part of my reality and her reality separate, yet one, by her description of my reality as hers, per perception of the speed of time.

It was just a Cool Winter Sunny day, and again, the only TIIME I have ever experienced a drug free slowing of time, suddenly like that, and the only time my wife has experienced it too.

I have no idea what it means, but yes, that day, it was A REAL PERCEIVED PART OF OUR UNIQUE UNIVERSES that were different, but yet the same.

Human abilities are different, and to assume just because one does not experience something that another person experiences is a HUGE POTENTIAL FALLACY, OF BETTER UNDERSTANDING MORE OF POTENTIAL REALITY, whether or not one experiences MORE OF REALITY PER GREATER NATURAL AND UNUSUAL SENSORY ABILITIES OR NOT.

I NEVER EVER pooH pooH stuff, just cause I can't do it.

And truly an open mind, per my personal philosophy of life, in not discounting what other folks say IS LITERALLY AND SCIENTIFICALLY IMPOSSIBLE, SAVED MY LIFE.

Doctors gave me NO CHANCE of recovery from 19 medical documented disorders, including life threatening ones.

They just 'threw their hands up in the air' and said "sorry fellow, medical science can't do anything for you, just go home and deal with it."

BUT I cured myself and proved them wrong, with extra sensory abilities that they have no idea how they work, and used them with my personal creative ability to make human miracles real, in my case, at least.

And yes, I have those miracles irrefutably documented for the pooh pooHERS and the NAYsayers of life.

Human potential goes WAY WAY WAY, ABOVE AND BEYOND, what science currently has to offer.

To believe less, is the potential to DIE SOONER, AT LEAST PER MY CASE.

A LOT OF THAT STUFF THAT JESUS WAS TALKING ABOUT, OR whoever wrote it down was talking about, Is correct in metaphor when the FLESH AND BLOOD REALLY HITS THE ROAD PER THE TRUE HUMAN POTENTIAL OF HEALING INCREDIBLE HUMAN DISORDER AND DISEASE, as REAL LIFE miracles.

To believe less, IS TO POTENTIALLY 'SHOOT ONESELF IN THE FOOT'.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 6:08 am

Fnord wrote:
Once upon a time, I was working at a new age store, doing some coding and computer maintenance. A customer came in and talked to the manager, who came into the back where I was working. She was carrying a camera. She told me that it wouldn't take pictures anymore, and asked if I could have a look at it.

Not only did I find that the shutter mechanism needed servicing, but that the bellows were cracked in several places (it was one of those old Polaroid instant cameras). So I serviced the shutter and replaced the bellows from a similar camera that had a broken case. I took a few test shots and everything seemed as good as new.

The customer seemed happy when she left the shop, but she came back later and insisted that I had somehow damaged her camera. It seems that she was one of those ghost hunters with a "magic" camera that could take pictures of ghosts - every picture she showed from before me had blobs and streaks of light overlaying the background.

The manager insisted that I "do something", so I took the camera into the back room, and with an Ex-Acto knife and a hatpin, I added some holes and slits to the bellows. Five minutes later, I came back out and asked her to take my picture.

Sure enough, the "ghosts" had returned. The customer thanked me and asked me what I had done. I told her that I had performed a little-known ritual that re-opened the portals to the Spirit Realm. She was awe-struck, and gave me $40 for the repair job, and a hug that would have made a pimp blush.

Moral #1: All of the facts in the world mean nothing to those who believe otherwise.

LMFAO!! !!
brilliant!!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 6:27 am

Whether or not there is an afterlife, there ARE energies around us that science is yet to detect. Science may or may not pick up on them.

It doesn't make sense to assume that what we *see* is only what exists. That's myopic, pardon the pun.

They say there are parallel universes to ours. Is it them interacting with our universe?

It's very unscientific to stop questioning, also.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2015, 6:48 am

Fnord wrote:

Tremendous! :D 8) :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 7:07 am

smudge wrote:
... there ARE energies around us that science is yet to detect...
If they haven't been detected, then we have it only on your word that they exist.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm

I'm saying, why wouldn't there be other energies around us? Just because we don't have the equipment to pick them up yet, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:29 pm

Just because you imagine something does not mean it exists.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

smudge wrote:
I'm saying, why wouldn't there be other energies around us? Just because we don't have the equipment to pick them up yet, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

And the simple fact is some humans have different or MORE EQUIPMENT, per picking up on EXTRA sensory information, DEPENDING on innate or environmental factors.

And that's a scientific fact that NO ONE can refute.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:01 pm

aghogday wrote:
smudge wrote:
And the simple fact is some humans have different or MORE EQUIPMENT, per picking up on EXTRA sensory information, DEPENDING on innate or environmental factors. And that's a scientific fact that NO ONE can refute.
Evidence, please?

Here's another story...

I was playing Monopoly with some family members, and it was getting down to the endgame. I had all of the yellow properties, and my sister's token was exactly seven spaces away from the most expensive one.

As soon as she picked up the dice, I said "You are going to roll a seven." She just laughed and threw the dice.

Four and three. Seven.

"How did you know?"

"I just ... knew."

She turned over all of her cash and properties.

The next player's token was exactly 6 spaces from one property and 8 from another.

"You're going to land on one of my properties, too."

She rolled an 8, and was forced out of the game. The game continued in this way with me calling (most of) the rolls, with the others either going to Jail or landing on an expensive property. After the game was over, I asked them if they wanted to play again.

They turned me down, saying that I was cheating by using my "powers" to control the dice. Then they told our parents (we were all in our early teens at the time). No one would accept my explanation of odds and probability, and they wouldn't even look at the table I drew to explain why 4 rolls out of 9 are likely to be a 6, 7, or 8 on two six-sided dice.

The parents thought that I had cheated, and the kids thought that I was "psychic", even though there was no evidence to support either claim!

It just goes to show that ignorant people will believe what they want, in spite of lack of evidence to support their claims, and in spite of evidence that supports any contrary claims, as well!

I never did get to play any more games with my relatives; and for years afterward, my dad would accuse me of cheating every time I aced an exam, won a raffle, or received gifts or praise of any kind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
aghogday wrote:
smudge wrote:
And the simple fact is some humans have different or MORE EQUIPMENT, per picking up on EXTRA sensory information, DEPENDING on innate or environmental factors. And that's a scientific fact that NO ONE can refute.
Evidence, please?

Here's another story...

I was playing Monopoly with some family members, and it was getting down to the endgame. I had all of the yellow properties, and my sister's token was exactly seven spaces away from the most expensive one.

As soon as she picked up the dice, I said "You are going to roll a seven." She just laughed and threw the dice.

Four and three. Seven.

"How did you know?"

"I just ... knew."

She turned over all of her cash and properties.

The next player's token was exactly 6 spaces from one property and 8 from another.

"You're going to land on one of my properties, too."

She rolled an 8, and was forced out of the game. The game continued in this way with me calling (most of) the rolls, with the others either going to Jail or landing on an expensive property. After the game was over, I asked them if they wanted to play again.

They turned me down, saying that I was cheating by using my "powers" to control the dice. Then they told our parents (we were all in our early teens at the time). No one would accept my explanation of odds and probability, and they wouldn't even look at the table I drew to explain why 4 rolls out of 9 are likely to be a 6, 7, or 8 on two six-sided dice.

The parents thought that I had cheated, and the kids thought that I was "psychic", even though there was no evidence to support either claim!

It just goes to show that ignorant people will believe what they want, in spite of lack of evidence to support their claims, and in spite of evidence that supports any contrary claims, as well!

I never did get to play any more games with my relatives; and for years afterward, my dad would accuse me of cheating every time I aced an exam, won a raffle, or received gifts or praise of any kind.

You are looking at psychic abilities through a narrow lens of traditional view, it appears, to me.

I am not talking about statistical probabilities of dice rolls, pulling rabbits out of hats, or guessing what is in the remote box.

I am talking about the ability for humans to sense reality as is.

Some people are color blind and cannot see the difference between red or green.

Some people are mind blind and cannot COGNITIVELY KNOW what other folks are feeling, per the real intelligence of social cognition.

Some people are face blind and are born and continue to live their lives not even being able to recognize the difference in facial features of total strangers and their closest family members.

And some folks have extreme abilities in discerning all THIS INNATE AND ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION in EXTRA sensory way.

This is not a black and white issue.

ALL humans come equipped with at least slightly different sensory equipment and SENSORY environments IN SYNERGY TO perceive their overall environments.

DO you need more facts.

If so, there is 'tons' of research on this, with a RELATIVELY simple Google search.

Extra sensory perception means JUST THAT: Extra SENSORY PERCEPTION.

THERE IS an entire spectrum of it, as is the case with almost all other observable phenomena in human life.

To remain in A Black and White thinking world is NEVER EVER to know THE POTENTIAL fuller realities of life.

AND NO, I have no idea how you as an individual think, SENSE, OR FEEL in REAL life; just going by text on a screen here.

Words are only approximations as metaphors of what HUMANS fully perceive their environment to be AND HOW IT WORKS, INTERDEPENDENTLY AS A FORCE OF NATURE.

I CAN SHOW YOU things in real life, you might not ever believe in words here, per HUMAN EXTRA SENSORY PERCEPTION.

But that's another story, entirely, IN REAL LIFE.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 3:19 pm

Yet ANOTHER STORY ...

Years ago, I started a CONTEST called "WHAT IS IN THE BOX?"

The rules are simple: TELL ME what I have placed INSIDE a container, what the container LOOKS LIKE, and where the container is LOCATED.

The container may be as SMALL AS A THIMBLE or as LARGE AS A HOUSE. The contents will be SIZED ACCORDINGLY.

Only ACCURATE DESCRIPTIONS will be ACCEPTED. Homonyms will be REJECTED - claiming an accurate description because YOU SAID 'RED' when the object is actually a NEWSPAPER CLIPPING (which is READ) will be DISALLOWED.

For EXAMPLE: "Inside a Quaker Oatmeal box on the shelf next to the front door at your home will be found a brass key, a black twenty-sided die with red numerals, and a white golf tee". This description WOULD HAVE WON the one-hundred dollar prize a year ago.

While "SOMEWHERE in your home there is a picture of a man with white hair. Nearby is a doorknob, a dead fly, and a nail" WOULD NOT.

NO ONE has won the prize in the LAST QUARTER-CENTURY. No one has even come close. No one claiming to be a ghost whisperer, a crystal-gazer, a tarot-reader, a telepath, an astral-projector, a clairvoyant, or any other so-called "psychic" has PASSED THE TEST.

Still waiting ... What's In The Box?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 5:35 pm

I think we can pick up on things that aren't covered by the five senses sometimes.