Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What do you think about wearing fur?
1. Fur wearers are evil and really should be skinned alive and actually murdered. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
2. Fur wearers are evil and deserve to have paint and blood thrown at them or their furs stolen but not murdered. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3. Fur wearers aren't as moral as those who don't wear fur but they should be discouraged by public opinion and not harassment. 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
4. I am neither for nor against fur 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
5. I am pro fur but don't own any 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
6. I am pro fur and own one but rarely wear it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7. I am pro fur and own one and wear it often. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8. I am pro fur and own more than one 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 7:06 am

I know that lots of people are against fur now, but there are still plenty who aren't. I'm mainly wondering how extreme some people who are against it are wanting to go. I'm talking about the way some people get blood or red paint and throw it on people who wear fur. What's everybody's opinion on that?

I like fur and have several, all of which were bought at thrift stores, yard sales, or given as a hand me down. I wear them fairly often in the winter and haven't ever had any problem with that. I do wonder how it is in other parts of the country and other countries as well, about wearing fur. Are there some areas where it's rarely done and people who wear it get a lot of flack? Are there other places where it's common and nobody says anything?

For those who are against fur, are there any circumstances where you think it's ok, such as vintage or hand me down furs? Do you think they should be taken away from those who bought them and destroyed or given to the poor? Do you think it's ok to assault people who wear it by throwing things at them? Are you so against fur that you feel that even fake fur is bad because it encourages people to wear it? Do you extend your feelings to leather as well? Have you always felt that way and have you ever owned fur?

For those who are for fur, do you think that all animals are fair game for fur or only certain ones? Do you think that people who are against fur have the right to nonviolent protest of wearing fur? Do you own fur and if so have you had any trouble when wearing it? If you feel that only hand me down or vintage furs are ok, why is that? Do you like fake furs?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jan 2015, 7:17 am

I have no objection to surplus fur being used for clothing. If an animal has died anyway - sustenance farming, roadkill - then I don't see much harm coming from turning it into clothing.

I do object to fur farming and practices which encourage them.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I have no objection to surplus fur being used for clothing. If an animal has died anyway - sustenance farming, roadkill - then I don't see much harm coming from turning it into clothing.

I do object to fur farming and practices which encourage them.

This is pretty much my view. Don't kill animals just for fur, but if the animal is being harvested for something else, no sense letting the fur go to waste.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:19 pm

I AM born with fur, still have it in copious amounts, and NO, i am not evil. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 1:46 pm

I don't understand why fur wearers are picked on. Its the same as eating meat and wearing leather shoes. I only wish that consumption animals were treated more humanely in the process. Go Temple Grandin!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 1:54 pm

Depends on where the 'fur' came from...for instance if I can find it I have a winter hat/hood made of fur and cloth and the fur came from animals hunted by family out in minnnesota, and where skinned after death that doesn't bother me so much. However from what I understand there is the practice of skinning animals alive to acquire fur and things like that so uhh might prefer not buying something made of fur if there's a chance that is what went into it...trouble is how do you find out unless how and where the fur was acquired? I just don't get why that would take place....but certainly turned me off from wanting to actually seek out fur products unless its like legit fair trade and what not or if someone who hunts for food decides not to waste the animals fur of course I am in favor of that. Though hunting for the sole purpose of getting fur and/or say antlers for instance is quite wasteful and not something I support. So I guess sort of mixed feelings on the topic, I do have various items with fake fur and I like the look of it.

Also obviously I am fine with wool, whether its from sheep, lamas(alpaca)or whatever since I don't think it hurts them to have their hair cut and well its warm for winter obviously.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also obviously I am fine with wool, whether its from sheep, lamas(alpaca)or whatever since I don't think it hurts them to have their hair cut and well its warm for winter obviously.

Alpaca wool is non-allergenic and is so soft. Its been my dream for some time to be an alpaca farmer. Not that that's going to happen. But alpaca rock.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 2:11 pm

My opinion on the matter is fairly neutral. I don't support people who collect fur in an inhumane manner, by skinning the animals alive (I've seen a video showing this once, and it made me sick to my stomach), but if the animals are humanely killed before harvesting, I don't see what the problem is. Fur is just another animal product, like meat or leather.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 2:19 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
My opinion on the matter is fairly neutral. I don't support people who collect fur in an inhumane manner, by skinning the animals alive (I've seen a video showing this once, and it made me sick to my stomach), but if the animals are humanely killed before harvesting, I don't see what the problem is. Fur is just another animal product, like meat or leather.

I may have saw the same video or at least one like it, I wonder what people who do such disgusting things gain from it, like why would anyone do that...and then how the f*** do they live with them-self I think I'd kill myself if I did something like that but wouldn't think to do anything that horrid in the first place.

I'd say people who do that should have the same done to them, but who could stomach it? probably less vomit inducing to just shoot them all or something, guess could be in the gut so they die slower than a head shot...I would not be sad if someone did that.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 2:28 pm

I'm trying to find a video of Eddie Izzard in a wind tunnel wrapped in fur, but I can't see it online anywhere. It's from the the show where he had his dna traced. Anyway, my point was, if our ancestors hadn't worn fur they would have frozen to death.

I think it depends on where the animals were bread and how they were treated. If they were treated badly then that is a big no no for me, but as other's have said, fur from ethical sources is ok by me.

I've only recently found out that goose down (the sort you find in duvets and coats) is sometimes harvested from live birds. Now I only buy down filled coats or duvets from ethical sources.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:35 pm

I have no idea how they get the fur from minks. I'd think they kill them first though. I don't really know. I really think it would be difficult to find a mink coat that surplus fur from hunting ;-) They just breed them for their fur.

Let me ask ya'll who don't have a problem with fur unless it's obtained cruelly. What about second hand fur? The money going to the folks who raised and killed them is already there and now whatever money is spent to buy it goes to either the thrift store or the person having the yard sale. Would you buy a beautiful fur coat that you saw really cheap and just not worry about how it was gotten because that was years and years ago, or would you still stick with that particular category of fur? All of my furs were bought at thrift stores, yard sales, and one was given to me in a box of hand me downs from a lady on Freecycle, so the whole idea of supporting cruelty isn't an issue for me because of that. My money went to individuals or charity thrift stores. However, there are still plenty of people who would rather see a fur thrown out and destroyed rather than someone wear it.

I once did a piece on animal rights groups and fur. I spoke to several people from different groups and one of the questions I asked was why throw paint or blood on the fur and destroy it? Why not collect the donated furs and give them to homeless women? That would take some of the glamour out of it for lots of people and it would also keep people much warmer than a cheap cloth coat. Every one of them said absolutely not. They didn't want anyone wearing fur and would rather see someone be uncomfortable in the winter or even get sick from the cold or freeze rather than "support the fur industry". Several of them were against fake fur because they said it still encouraged people to buy fur and made people think it was ok, especially the good fakes that look almost like real ones.

My favorite one to wear right now is a vintage early 1960's leopard thigh length coat with a matching hat. It's so cool, and my daughter actually found a pair of leopard cat eye sunglasses this weekend and bought them for me! I can't wait to wear that somewhere! I wish I had a car today so I could go to the grocery store or somewhere in it lol!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:42 pm

I don't have a problem with furs, or leather----those animals are bred / grown (farmed), specifically for that. I don't think I've ever heard anything about them being skinned, alive----that's pretty disgusting----but, how would you know what treatment, they had been given. Even when we buy meat, in the supermarket, who knows if the label is not a lie.

I don't own any; but, I used to always want a full-length mink coat. My aunt owned a couple of furs, and wore them, often, and never had any problem with it----she had always wanted a full-length ermine coat.

If the animal were on the "soon-to-be-extinct" list, or something like that, then I wouldn't want them killed, for anything----like, ivory from tusks (I THINK that's where they get ivory), or whatever.

I don't like fake furs----unless, it's trim----because..... Well..... Because it's not the real thing!

Yes, I feel that people who are against fur have the right to non-violent protest----but, NOT throwing red paint, or anything else, on someone's coat. The thing these protesters don't seem to realize, is that they themselves have, most probably, worn real fur, at some point in their life. Jeff Rossen (I think it was), of "Rossen Reports" just did a report on the widespread use of REAL fur, as trim on coats, etc. He took all of the labeled "fake fur" to the lab, and had it tested, and everything. I think some of these protestors are just like "tree huggers", in that they're probably only doing it, so they can feel good, about themselves.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with secondhand furs, either.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm

I love your give fur to the homeless idea. I think that's brilliant! I am sure that people still wear fur in very cold countries like Russia. I wonder if they have groups like PETA or if it is more acceptable there.

I'm not sure about second hand fur. At first I thought I was ok with it, but then I realised that I won't buy second hand ivory because I don't know where it has come from, there are strict laws about the trade of ivory in the UK. As you say the original producer doesn't profit from it, so you are not contributing to the fur trade, but are giving to charity instead, so I think that is ethical.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:22 pm

I am very Anti fur and feel that the fur trade is a cruel and barbaric trade, Skinning animals alive for human vanity is wrong.
Vintage fur is just as bad as you're promoting the use of fur.
So glad fur shops have closed down here in Melbourne.
I am also anti Hunting especially trophy hunting, a lot of animals have become extinct and endangered because of these cruel practices why would anyone want animal heads on their walls they have to be sick.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm

My view:
My grandmother gave me furs. Those furs are older than my mother, and I couldn't bear it if some lunatic were to throw paint on them, as I have very few things left of her. That is the only reason I never wear them. Seriously, if someone did that, I would go berserk.

However, I don't want to buy new furs because I don't think the people killing animals today use as much of them as they did then, and the methods I've heard of sound pretty sadistic.

Since someone mentioned hunting, I'm not against hunting, as long as it's being done to put food on the table, and you use as much as you can of the rest of the animal. I have no problem with Hunters For The Hungry. I am bothered by uncontrolled hunting though- hunting of endangered species and such. Especially when it's done just for one small part of the animal, and the rest of the carcass goes to waste.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I'm trying to find a video of Eddie Izzard in a wind tunnel wrapped in fur, but I can't see it online anywhere. It's from the the show where he had his dna traced. Anyway, my point was, if our ancestors hadn't worn fur they would have frozen to death.

I think it depends on where the animals were bread and how they were treated. If they were treated badly then that is a big no no for me, but as other's have said, fur from ethical sources is ok by me.

I've only recently found out that goose down (the sort you find in duvets and coats) is sometimes harvested from live birds. Now I only buy down filled coats or duvets from ethical sources.

I think our ancestors probably also put the meat to use and any other useful parts...rather than say going and killing some animals to make fashionable fur clothing...so a significant difference.