went on a date with a high functioning sociopath

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mel113
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2015, 1:52 pm

And it went really well! But is there anything I should know if we go on many dates (other than the emotional disconnect, which I am OK with in a short term relationship)?

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2015, 2:07 pm

Initially charming, they can seem like a thrill and great when you first meet them. That's because they put up a front at first to lure you in and discover your vulnerabilities. Then they may use you and manipulate you whenever convenient to them, be prepared for that, and how they blame you for things that are really manifestations of their own neurosis.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 2:09 pm

Are you going out with Sherlock Holmes? :lol:

I'm not sure that you are asking in the right forum.

When I was looking for information on borderline personality disorder I found this forum useful

http://forums.psychcentral.com/

I thought it was really good because it's not like ASPartners where people rant about their other half, it seems to be more a place where people actually talk about stuff, suffers of mental health problems and family members of sufferers.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

Most psychopaths are non-violent, so it shouldn't be an issue if you just want a f**kbuddy or a short-term relationship.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

He might appear nice and charming at first, then he cooks your liver.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm

hurtloam wrote:

When I was looking for information on borderline personality disorder I found this forum useful

I thought it was really good because it's not like ASPartners where people rant about their other half, it seems to be more a place where people actually talk about stuff, suffers of mental health problems and family members of sufferers.

The BBC' Sherlock Holmes doesn't fit the HF sociopath profile at all, he cares for others and has conscience. His villain in the last movie was a true sociopath.

He's just an awkward genius with savant skills.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:48 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

The BBC' Sherlock Holmes doesn't fit the HF sociopath profile at all, he cares for others and has conscience. His villain in the last movie was a true sociopath.

He's just an awkward genius with savant skills.

Sherlock says "I'm a high functioning sociopath"

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 4:00 pm

My bad I said bbc sherlock while I was thinking about the hollywood' sherlock.

mel113
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm

This is going to be a short term f**kbuddy type deal. He's been very forward and blunt so far. Very few times that I know he lied, but its always a possibility that he will lie and manipulate ( but seriously.... I haven't met a guy who hasn't pulled that BS). I have no interest in falling for him or thinking I can "fix him" or any of that crap I'm just talking about having fun.

jwfess
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2015, 10:07 pm

I don't understand, what is a high functioning sociopath? Sociopathy (anti-social personality disorder) is not a spectrum disorder, so what would a low functioning sociopath look like?

The degree of one's anti-social personality disorder is not related to one's functioning level, I don't believe. Was Ted Bundy high functioning or low functioning?

Regarding the Sherlock Holmes quote, it really doesn't matter if he describes himself as a sociopath or not, his actions are a much better guide to whether he fits that description.

I'm also interested in whether the poster is typically attracted to sociopaths. If so, good luck!

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 11:07 pm

Dated a sociopath didn't go well so ended it!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Echolalia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2015, 1:55 am

jwfess wrote:
I don't understand, what is a high functioning sociopath? Sociopathy (anti-social personality disorder) is not a spectrum disorder, so what would a low functioning sociopath look like?

Colloquialism used to denote a manipulative user who doesn't immediately scream....manipulative user on casual acquaintance. As opposed to the low functioning variety where within the first 5 secs you are thinking....psycho.

Well it wouldn't be my pick of f**k buddies to be honest. Non-existent concern for you as a person and sole focus on personal gratification, coupled with impulsive risk tasking behaviour means the probability of getting an STD off one to be quite high. I also have a personal aversion to being seen as someone's 'resource' and 'object'. As well as the resistance you will meet to ending your relationship, unless of course they are done with you, and somehow forget to take revenge for you no longer being their compliant pet. But hey, whatever floats your boat. 8O

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2015, 2:30 am

mel113 wrote:
And it went really well! But is there anything I should know if we go on many dates (other than the emotional disconnect, which I am OK with in a short term relationship)?

Never heard if sociopaths being described by these adjectives. Not sure it makes much sense, given that being charismatic is one of the traits of a sociopath.

What springs to mind is that a sociopath can react badly if he/she suspects that someone is immune to their "charms".
Sociopaths tend to be about "winning". The risk with a LTR is that their "game" may be more about manipulation and "mind fuckay" than anything else.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2015, 2:57 am

Kurgan wrote:
Most psychopaths are non-violent, so it shouldn't be an issue if you just want a f**kbuddy or a short-term relationship.

The issue here is the DURATION rather than the type of relationship. It's perfectly possible for FB and "casual" relationships to be long term (decades long in some cases).
With sociopaths the risks appear to be proportionate to the amount of contact you have with them. Regardless of if you are sleeping with them or working with them.

mel113
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

I didn't know he was a sociopath until after our date started and as much as I am being used so is he. I currently have no desire to be in anything long term with romance and junk, I still need to figure some things out. I take most of what he says with a grain of salt.
What I mean when I say I had a good time is that I can have intellectual conversations with him...and the kissing is good :p
Its pretty much all I want right now

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:41 pm

it can get ugly fast if you disagree with them. my sociopath ex-fiance hit me and threatened to kill me.