Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:11 pm

Not ten minutes ago I just saw a commercial for something that deals with brain injuries to infant babies, I think it was a law firm, I don't know though, I was half-paying attention. They listed a bunch of things that are 'linked' to a lack of oxygen at birth, and guess what was on the list. :roll:

I did not realize that this 'causes' Autism. It seems like everything from chemicals to wood to markers to television to makeup to Fawns cause autism. :roll:

What are your thoughts? If I see the commercial again I'll try to post more information.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jan 2015, 2:33 pm

I agree, it seems that everything seems to be listed as a cause anymore. I had oxygen deprivation when I was born and had to be delivered via C-section.

My belief is that autism is genetic, but it takes some trigger to turn the gene on. For me, that trigger was the oxygen deprivation.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:41 pm

Perhaps oxygen deprivation might have something to do with Autism, I don't know. This just surprised me when I heard it and thought it was another bit of misinformation being spread around.

It would have been nice if they actually had a legitimate source to back up these claims. ADHD and a few other mental disorders were on their list.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 3:39 pm

I've heard it can be a factor apparently everything that happens to a fetus/baby until its out of the womb effects its brain/body chemistry. I had a bit of a difficult birth lack of oxgen before i got out so they had to do an emergency c-section and apparently when I did come out I apparently just took a big breath of air and observed apparently most babies start crying much quicker, and I do kind of wonder if maybe that was a factor in my case of aspergers but maybe not. Though if it was the 'cause' of autism than everyone with lack of oxygen at birth would have it so thus it cannot be the cause at best it could be a factor in some cases.

Though not sure what a law firm would do about lack of oxegen at birth, what allow me to sue my mom for negligence for letting me get that feeding cord thing(can't remember the name of it) around my neck before she could manage to go into labor or whatever :? ....I mean no one is responsible for that, it would be equally ridiculous to sue the hospital since they did the proper thing when realizing there was a problem.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 3:54 pm

Like I said, I wasn't fully paying attention to the commercial when it was on, so I don't know exactly what it was for. When they said 'Autism' that is what piped my interest. Wish I had more information on it.

Though I didn't need a c-section, they did have to break my leg (or some bone, I can't recall) in order to get me out. I do not think that I was deprived of any oxygen at that time, at least no one has told me I was.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 3:58 pm

While it may have not been a law firm, the commercial was styled and made a lot like those "if you took this medicine" or "If you worked in this field that exposed you to this chemical you may be entitled to compensation" commercials that seem to come up quite a bit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 11:07 am

I don't believe "anoxia" (lack of oxygen at birth) is a paramount cause of autism--but I did know one very low-functioning autistic person who had anoxia.

Obviously, this could be one cause of many.

Searching for the "one" cause of autism is like searching for the "one" Truth.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 9:08 pm

Maybe the brain damage that the baby has mimics autism, but I thought that lack of oxygen causes brain damage not autism.

I do know of a lady whose baby had brain damage while she was pregnant because she was in a wreck and his brain damage mimics autism and she just tells everybody he's autistic instead of explaining. The Dr said he's brain damaged, not autistic. I think that's what's up with those "vaccine induced autism" folks. Some of them had high fever from a vaccine reaction and high fever can cause brain damage as can seizures although febrile seizures are usually harmless, but I think the brain damage looks like autism so the parent says that's what it is. Unless the child is just autistic anyway and starts showing symptoms around the time of the vaccine.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm

I think certain types of "brain damage" could cause autism--or at least autistic-type symptoms (like you say, those could mimic" autism).

That's exactly what I was diagnosed with when I was about 3-4 years old: "brain damage." I was placed in what my mother always referred to as a "brain-injured nursery school."

Many other things have been known to cause autism as well. Some genetic, some epigenetic, some environmental.

CaptainScarlet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2015, 7:37 pm

I discovered just over a year ago that I have AS. I found out as a result of reading a news article about Susan Boyle.

The article said she was 52 years old - same as me - and the she was "wrongly" diagnosed as having suffered oxygen starvation at birth. Same as me. So I started investigating and came across WP. I found the tests linked to on the forums here and tried them all.

"You are very likely an aspie".

Suddenly things started falling into place. I've spent the last year learning
about who I am, and it's been quite informative. But I think this anoxia business is rather an important part of the picture.

Thanks to my limited (failed medical school) education, I know that the body is very determined when it comes to protecting the major organs from damage from oxygen starvation. In my case, I suffered quite an amount of damage to my nervous system, affecting both sensory and motor function. However, it was restricted to one side of my body. I reckon this is significant. I don't appear to have suffered any permanent damage to any major organs other than this, but I must have been pretty close.

I reckon that my body was unable to prevent damage to my nervous system altogether. However, I think it was having to make choices about what to lose. It seems to have chosen to limit the damage to one side of my body. Maybe it was able to prevent damage to the brain itself, I don't know. I used to joke that I suffered such severe brain damage that I ended up as me, but maybe there's an element of truth in that.

I suspect that the body can ration a scarce supply of oxygen in ways that are more sophisticated than we currently understand. From my personal experience, it can limit the damage to one side of the body. Perhaps it is also capable of limiting brain damage to the least important parts as well. If that is the case, it is possible that the early stages of brain damage result in conditions such as AS and that more extensive damage causes more severe symptoms.

This is just my suspicion, based on my experience of being one person. But I do think there's something in it.

Having said that, I do think that anything suggested by a bunch of no-win-no-fee shysters is likely to be pretty much without merit.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 9:51 am

If it is true that autism is caused by having too many neuron pathways that weren't clipped properly, I don't see how oxygen deprivation could be a cause of autism. Oxygen deprivation should kill off neurons and therefore knock out neuron pathways... I'm don't think that has been proven though. It's just that all the supposed causes seem contradictory. It's like when those scientists from denmark discovered that circumcision caused autism, maybe there is a correlation, but a cause was never proven.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Mister F1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2015, 11:06 am

I was thinking about whether oxygen was related to autism a few days ago. Not based on any science, but I was born with a ventricular septal defect (hole between chambers of the heart), which reduced the amount of oxygen in my blood as a child. I'd assume that circulation to a baby's brain would be an important factor. I can't find any evidence to prove or disprove that theory, though.

There could be a link, but it might be a coincidence.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2015, 11:59 am

glider18 wrote:
My belief is that autism is genetic, but it takes some trigger to turn the gene on. For me, that trigger was the oxygen deprivation.

What you are describing would be G by E.
Whilst this may be right there is unlikely to be a single genetic or environmental factor involved. Even with a fairly small number of either the possible combinations can soon grow large.
At the biochemical level how the human body reacts to oxygen deprivation and how it handles "recovery" is very complex.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2015, 12:23 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
If it is true that autism is caused by having too many neuron pathways that weren't clipped properly, I don't see how oxygen deprivation could be a cause of autism. Oxygen deprivation should kill off neurons and therefore knock out neuron pathways... I'm don't think that has been proven though.

I can't find any information about the distribution of neuroblasts within the brains on newborn/infant mammals. So even if neuron pathways are "knocked out" they might be able to regenerate in such cases. That's before considering that the brain as an organ is massivly parallel and "fault tollerant". Though it's possible that regrowth could produce "too many" neurons.
Quote:
It's just that all the supposed causes seem contradictory. It's like when those scientists from denmark discovered that circumcision caused autism, maybe there is a correlation, but a cause was never proven.

The old "correlation is not causation" issue. One which I'd really hope that so called "scientists" fully understood.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2015, 12:32 pm

Mister F1 wrote:
I was thinking about whether oxygen was related to autism a few days ago. Not based on any science, but I was born with a ventricular septal defect (hole between chambers of the heart), which reduced the amount of oxygen in my blood as a child. I'd assume that circulation to a baby's brain would be an important factor. I can't find any evidence to prove or disprove that theory, though.

Your situation would be with a chronic, rather than accute, situation. Not sure you can compare the two.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 12:46 pm

Isn't it thought that in the Autistic, there are substantially more neurons than normal in parts of the brain? If that is true, then since the brain begins to form during the first trimester and with most of the development during the second when it starts laying down the various layers as neurons migrate into their final poisitions, it is difficult to see how something happening after that development is complete could possibly cause Autism.

There is one possibility. After birth, there is a great thinning of neurons during the first couple of years of life. I have never seen anything that suggests it, but is it possible that someone could be born with a normal brain but then for some reason the neurons in the brain not thin out and become Autistic as a result?

That said, for now I assume that it is the result of the development of the fetal brain and would look toward genetics and/or environmental factors while a fetus.