Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mister F1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2015, 1:03 pm

mpe wrote:
Mister F1 wrote:
I was thinking about whether oxygen was related to autism a few days ago. Not based on any science, but I was born with a ventricular septal defect (hole between chambers of the heart), which reduced the amount of oxygen in my blood as a child. I'd assume that circulation to a baby's brain would be an important factor. I can't find any evidence to prove or disprove that theory, though.

Your situation would be with a chronic, rather than accute, situation. Not sure you can compare the two.

Fair enough. It was just an idea I had. :oops:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 1:11 pm

Mister F1 wrote:
I was thinking about whether oxygen was related to autism a few days ago. Not based on any science, but I was born with a ventricular septal defect (hole between chambers of the heart), which reduced the amount of oxygen in my blood as a child. I'd assume that circulation to a baby's brain would be an important factor. I can't find any evidence to prove or disprove that theory, though.

I had an atrial septal defect. It was discovered when I took my physical to join the Navy (they didn't take me) and repaired about four months later, both when I was 20.

As far as circulation to the brain, doesn't the body give the brain the highest priority? If the defect was so bad that it was badly affecting the brain, it would seem like you could barely stay alive.

In my case, the defect primarily affected me when running. It was very painful to run because of oxygen starvation to the muscles.

Mister F1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2015, 1:56 pm

Well, I did say it wasn't based on science. Obviously I know nothing. :)

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:05 pm

I did have my umbilical cord wrapped around my neck three times when I entered into this world. According to my parents I was "blue as a smurf".

I don't know whether or not this impacted my Autism symptoms, but considering my mother and her brother also have significant Autism symptoms, I'm more inclined to support a genetic explanation.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 8:49 am

"Lack of oxygen at birth causes cerebral palsy, ADHD, ASD, paraplegia, left-handedness, lazy eye, bad breath, and a handful of other common conditions! If your child or relative experienced lack of oxygen at birth and now struggles with hangnails, contact STFULawFirm to discuss your claim. Never a fee unless we get money for YOU!!"

I smell an ambulance chaser.

Autism causes lawyers. Please donate to end this unfortunate side-effect.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 9:17 am

I'm going for genetic. I know several families with kids with autism. In every single one, there's more than one child affected, or at least one of the parents shows characteristics of AS/HFA, even if undiagnosed. Not all those people had difficult births.

However, I have also known several people with children that had difficult births, and many of them (esp. the boys) displayed certain behaviors as toddlers/young children that seem to be kind-of like autism.

My guess would be that it is just coincidental, unless there is something with the mother and AS/HFA that might contribute to a difficult birth. I read something on a thread here that possibly mothers on the spectrum might not have enough oxytocin and need pitocin to help labor along. I couldn't find anything online about it, except for pitocin being another suspected cause of Autism.

I would think that if oxygen deprivation at birth caused Autism, that the worse or more prolonged the deprivation was, the more severe the Autism would be. My son experienced some serious oxygen deprivation at birth and needed to be resuscitated. *If* he is on the spectrum, he is very high-functioning.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2015, 10:47 am

One of my cousins, who has very low functioning PDD ,CP and profound intellectual disability, actually had a lack of oxygen at birth too. His caregivers and my dad thinks he has low functioning autism. When my cousin was 6 months old, he started having servere epilepsy and regression as a result of the lack of oxygen at birth. When I was first told about my cousin's epilepsy and regression, the fact that my cousin had a lack of oxygen at birth was not mentioned, so I thought that my cousin had Rett Syndrome because though he was not in a wheelchair and walked, he had not so good motor skills and he flapped every single paper he like a Japanese person would do with a Japanese fan yet could not grasp anything (ie a cup) in his hand at all (Hand problems is a major sympton of Rett Syndrome). His head was also quite small, another sympton of Rett Syndrome. But when I was later told that my cousin had a lack of oxygen to his brain, I then changed my prespective on what my cousin had. So my cousin most likely for real has Cerebal Palsy AND low functioning PDD(NOS). I say my cousin also has PDD(NOS) because he walks away from the rest of society, he rocks back and forth and does other repetitive behaviors I mentioned before though he does not really have all the symptons of autism since he is too low functioning to have the capacity to do the minumin amount of symptons for autism.
Lack of Oxygen at birth does not cause autism nor do vaccines cause autism, which my parents still beleive in the vaccine myth though I took the MMR vaccine at 15 months of age (I developed normally like an NT from birth to when I was 15 months old, which from that point on I was stricken by Regressive Autism). Even though I regressed and lost previously acquired speech and social skills and started doing bizzare autistic behaviors at the same age and time I got the MMR vaccine, true science from studies prove that MMR Vaccines have absolutley no link to autism spectrum disroders. So when I looked up extensively for the information on the causes of autism,Aspergers, and my PDD, I found out that it was most likely actually caused by a mutated bump on Chromosome 15, which according to scientists, full fledged scilencing on that same chromosome causes Angelman Syndrome, a rare but servere autistic-like disorder, and it's sister condition, Prader-Willi Syndrome. Chromosome 15 is also considered a very important gene for autism spectrum disorders and Chromosome 15 is also associated with Savant Syndrome. So mishaps after birth DO NOT cause autism. It is all caused by genetics. So for those of you that really did have a lack of oxygen at birth but have devlopmental delays, you might probably have Cerebal Palsy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 11:50 am

I actually knew an autistic person who had "anoxia" (lack of oxygen to the brain) at birth. I think this is fairly common in people who have such things as cerebral palsy.

Autism does not have just one "cause."

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I actually knew an autistic person who had "anoxia" (lack of oxygen to the brain) at birth. I think this is fairly common in people who have such things as cerebral palsy.

Autism does not have just one "cause."

New Gene Studies Suggest There Are Hundreds of Kinds of Autism

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:16 pm

I WILL state that I had an extremely protracted, non-progressing labor with my firstborn. Nothing was used to help it along until, after 72+ hours, they had to jam a suction cup up there and yank her out because I was exhausted, dehydrated, and all out of "PUSH!!"

The other three required very small amounts of Pitocin to start labor (no significant contractions at 4 cm dilated, time to do something before the cord prolapsed), and then it went sailing merrily along (other than Child#3's determination to come into the world shoulder-first, as if she were rushing the goal-post for the winning touchdown).

I am ASD.

So far, none of my kids are.

I don't think I'll be calling any lawyers to seek remuneration for that fact, either. :lol:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:34 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I WILL state that I had an extremely protracted, non-progressing labor with my firstborn. Nothing was used to help it along until, after 72+ hours, they had to jam a suction cup up there and yank her out because I was exhausted, dehydrated, and all out of "PUSH!!"

The other three required very small amounts of Pitocin to start labor (no significant contractions at 4 cm dilated, time to do something before the cord prolapsed), and then it went sailing merrily along (other than Child#3's determination to come into the world shoulder-first, as if she were rushing the goal-post for the winning touchdown).

I am ASD.

So far, none of my kids are.

I don't think I'll be calling any lawyers to seek remuneration for that fact, either. :lol:

One niece of mine has had two kids. The doctor just barely arrived at the delivery room in time to deliver the first kid. For the second, not only did the doctor not arrive in time, neither did she -- the baby was born in the hallway as the nurses or orderlies were taking her to the delivery room.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 1:09 am

My Mum said she had a lot of stress when she was having me and then I had to have oxygen at birth.
A friend of mine also had to have oxygen when she was born and she also has aspergers her children do as well.

Awilder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

Well, from my own personal thoughts I feel my asperger syndrome was more or less a genetically derived phenmena as, my great-grandfather on my mom's side had AS even if there is no way of scientifically proving it by, simply learning of the way he lived his live and his mannerisms I came to not only understand myself but, could see I was not the only person in the family whom was weird.
Now as far as lack of oxygen being a cause of autistic phenomena worldwide? I don't deny the possibility it has a role in such yet, I feel there are many factors or variables that can trigger the development of autism,asperger syndrome,etc in people as, I'm neither a scientist or doctor..

We are like the wind,
Wrapped, luminous wind,
We make a road for the spirits to pass over.
For the Spirits to pass over.