My experiences with events for singles so far

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Przemek87
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2015, 6:54 pm

So, I attended two ferry cruises for singles (aptly called "Singles at Sea") last year. They took place in March and in September. During both cruises, the ferry docked in Karlskrona, making Sweden the second foreign country I visited (the first one being Germany, if you are curious). Now, let's get to the point.

The first event during both cruises was speed dating (an event where men and women talk to each other and everyone goes to the next person every three minutes). How was it going for me? Well, talking with some women was going relatively well, with others - not so much. We were given forms where we would specify whom we wanted to contact in the future. I'm pretty sure none of the women I talked with expressed interest to contact me. Now I'm certain that speed dating is not for me.

Next was a lock and key event, which I attended during the second cruise. During a lock and key event, men are given keys and women are given padlocks. The goal is to find a woman with a padlock that matches your key. In this case, locks and keys came in the form of plastic cards with pieces shaped like a key. I was lucky enough to find a match on the second try. We even danced for a few minutes, but then she left "to see her friends" and never returned. I wasn't even angry or sad - just a little upset, I guess.

Other than that, I didn't really interact with other people. There were more events, but I didn't find them interesting enough to attend them. In my opinion, a cruise like this is not the best choice for an Aspie. I didn't find my significant other or even make any friends there, but I can't say I regret giving it a shot. I traveled across the sea, saw Sweden and even visited Karlskrona during the second cruise. There will be another cruise this March, but I don't think I'll be going again.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:38 am

Speed dating seems like a game of selling yourself. Not everyone is a salesperson at heart.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:21 pm

Hmm, you don't have to be a migrant to do speed dating? I guess speed dating is out then. :|

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:58 pm

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2015, 7:33 pm

downbutnotout wrote:
Dating seems like a game of selling yourself. Not everyone is a salesperson at heart.

Dating is a game of selling yourself, at least if for guys. And if you actually wanna "make the sale", you better either be one hell of a good salesman or have a top-quality product, otherwise you're not getting anywhere.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm

Przemek87 wrote:
So, I attended two ferry cruises for singles (aptly called "Singles at Sea") last year.
I'm pretty sure none of the women I talked with expressed interest to contact me. Now I'm certain that speed dating is not for me.

Next was a lock and key event, which I attended during the second cruise. During a lock and key event, men are given keys and women are given padlocks.
The goal is to find a woman with a padlock that matches your key. In this case, locks and keys came in the form of plastic cards with pieces shaped like a key. I was lucky enough to find a match on the second try.

Other than that, I didn't really interact with other people. There were more events, but I didn't find them interesting enough to attend them. In my opinion, a cruise like this is not the best choice for an Aspie. I didn't find my significant other or even make any friends there, but I can't say I regret giving it a shot. I traveled across the sea, saw Sweden and even visited Karlskrona during the second cruise. There will be another cruise this March, but I don't think I'll be going again.

This person actually writes bespoke well and I agree with it not being an Aspie's bravest choice but, the Lock and Key Event sounds a bit "scary bondage" to me and looks like the only pleasure being actively derived is that of bad choice of taste for a singles event and well, it sounds as though you'd find better luck dining on an Al fresco terrace than in the porthole of a ships stern.. 8)