Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2015, 1:32 pm

Say I'm hanging out with a married guy friend and his wife or kid isn't around. Does that look bad to his wife? What if I'm also friends with the wife? Assume I have no romantic feelings for the guy and only consider him a friend.

My mother says that a single person hanging out with a married friend looks like a homewrecker. Is this true? A counselor once said that adultery was only about sex. Who is right, my mother or that counselor?

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:36 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
My mother says that a single person hanging out with a married friend looks like a homewrecker. Is this true? A counselor once said that adultery was only about sex. Who is right, my mother or that counselor?

A former President said that oral sex isn't adultery, but I am not sure I would follow that advice.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/29/technol ... index.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-docto ... 24380.html

They might both be right--depends on how society views your relationship--which varies depending on where to you live.

In a panel called "Coming Out," poly advocate Terisa Greenan led an animated discussion about the obstacles that keep people from telling others. Some polys hide their relationship from friends and family, fearing they could lose their homes or children. For many, religion was a common source of grief.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/26/living/re ... polyamory/

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2015, 2:56 pm

I'm not talking about polyamory, I'm asking if I look like a homewrecker if I hang out with a married guy AS A FRIEND.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 4:53 pm

You may look like a 'homewrecker' to some people who have suspicious minds and don't believe that men and women can just be friends. You won't look like one to normal people though. I would only worry about what the guy, his wife and any spouse or boyfriend of yours thinks. Who cares what somebody else thinks? You and he and the significant others involved know whats going on and thats all that matters.

However, adultery is about sex and if you have sex or certain sexual contact (some things are a grey area to some people) then it's adultery if one of the people involved is married. If you have no sexual contact at all, then it's not adultery. Whether there is or isn't any contact, people can still think you are doing things you aren't and start rumors, etc.

So since you have nothing romantic or sexual going on with the guy, it sounds like it doesn't matter what adultery actually is and isn't to you, it sounds like what matters to you is whether people think you are committing adultery or not. And some people with suspicious minds will think that.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

darkphantomx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm

You have sex, kiss someone, that isn't your wife. Yes thats adultery.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:02 pm

You're not committing adultery if there is no sexual contact.

It's possible that the guy's wife might be jealous--but if you're open about it, and don't seem to be hiding anything, I don't see anything wrong with being friends with the guy (provided you have no "more than friends" desire for the guy).

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm

darkphantomx wrote:

Even kissing someone on the cheek? I see married people do it to others a lot.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:19 pm

Friends do that all the time!

It's not adultery.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:06 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
darkphantomx wrote:

No, not kissing someone on the cheek. Like I said in the earlier post, romantic or sexual contact is adultery. Kissing someone on the cheek is not romantic or sexual contact. It's simply manners. Shaking someone's hand isn't the same as holding hands with them, as it's not romantic or sexual. It's a very different thing.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:16 pm

I used to be around a lot of married men - the homes I lived in often had male staff - and it was really no different than hanging out with my own brother. I always thought that men and women can be "just friends" but to hear guys talk about the only reason a guy wants to be just friends is either because she's ugly or he's gay. :roll:

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I always thought that men and women can be "just friends" but to hear guys talk about the only reason a guy wants to be just friends is either because she's ugly or he's gay. :roll:

Not true, and this is coming from a guy. I have a few female friends who are plenty attractive enough, and I am married, so I am not gay. I do try to make sure, though, that I don't get myself into situations that could lead to too much temptation because while I would like to believe that I would be able to resist it, I am not positive that I would in the heat of the moment, and am not about to blow my marriage on a few moments of fun.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
You may look like a 'homewrecker' to some people who have suspicious minds and don't believe that men and women can just be friends. You won't look like one to normal people though. I would only worry about what the guy, his wife and any spouse or boyfriend of yours thinks. Who cares what somebody else thinks? You and he and the significant others involved know whats going on and thats all that matters.

However, adultery is about sex and if you have sex or certain sexual contact (some things are a grey area to some people) then it's adultery if one of the people involved is married. If you have no sexual contact at all, then it's not adultery. Whether there is or isn't any contact, people can still think you are doing things you aren't and start rumors, etc.

So since you have nothing romantic or sexual going on with the guy, it sounds like it doesn't matter what adultery actually is and isn't to you, it sounds like what matters to you is whether people think you are committing adultery or not. And some people with suspicious minds will think that.

Ding sing ding! We have a winner

LeLetch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jan 2015, 1:16 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Non_Passerine wrote:
darkphantomx wrote:

This is a complex question, and a full answer would involve trying to explain the sacrifices that some people make in marriages, ugh, probably.

I don't think it matters what the definition of adultery is.

What matters is if the woman married to your friend views you as a potential threat. It doesn't matter if you actually are or not.

There are a vast number of reasons as to why you could be viewed as such.

There's often one person in a relationship who wants to spend more time together than the other. If that person is the woman married to your friend, it might not be that you are viewed as sexual competition.

It might just be a conflict over his free-time, assuming it's an issue. I can't tell if your question is theoretical, or if you're facing/dealing with someone who suspects your motives, etc.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 3:15 am

I have a slightly broader definition of adultery. If a married person is having a relationship with someone of the opposite sex that has a strong degree of emotional intimacy and it becomes a problem to or a distraction from the primary marital relationship - that's bordering on adultery. It does not matter if there is no sexual contact.

My husband had an emotional affair with another woman. He thinks he did nothing wrong because he never had sex with her (which I believe) - he is one of those Aspies that has a real problem with lying - like an internal mismatch. But actually their relationship meant that he was unavailable to me - he spent hours online with her, ignoring me. He spent a lot of time with her IRL too including spending the night at her place when I was away. It was painfully obvious that his relationship with her was damaging our relationship, but whenever I mentioned it he became defensive and lashed out at me. In my opinion, the only reason he didn't have sex with her is he's sexually dysfunctional and he has a rigid moral compass - more focused on rules than on the impact on other people.

If a friendship is damaging the integrity of the marital relationship - it's skating pretty close to adultery.

OP I believe you also have these rigid moral rules around sexual behaviour. Please take some time to reflect on whether this relationship would be sexual if you didn't have those rules. If it would be, then you may be in an emotional affair, which can be as damaging as a physical affair.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 3:30 am

Generally this leads to a headache, I wouldn't hang out with him alone without his wife around if I was you, or at least within a group of friends; much safer.