Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm

What causes this?

Sometimes I will notice I get a very sudden change in energy, mood, or relaxation. For instance, I might all of a sudden get super duper angry sometimes. It seems like it comes out of the blue. I get extremely panicky and I get a rush of energy that is overwhelming. It's everything I have to control it. I might squeeze my hands together incredibly hard or press down super duper hard on the bed to try to release the energy. Sometimes I just curl up into a ball and hold myself until the feeling goes away. What causes this?

On the other hand, sometimes I might get super duper calm and relaxed. My breathing becomes relaxed and very deep and it feels very good.

Other times, I might get super duper scared of myself and everything around me.

Sometimes I go back and forth between the states quickly. What causes this?

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm

Also, sometimes I notice myself doing things without really thinking about why I'm doing it, like hitting my head, or snarling or stroking my hair. Sometimes I will get sudden jerky movements that seem beyond my control. Other times I hear intrusive loud voices yelling.

None of this happens very often just once in a while.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2015, 11:05 pm

Thanks for raising this issue. I get rapid changes in body sensations and moods that go together. I will often out of the blue start feeling really anxious and darkly pessimistic, then get exhausted, spacey, and come back to feeling good in the matter of a couple of minutes - really dramatically. It often happens along with digestive irritation and pain. I don't seem to have long-term moods. It helps me to know what is going on - that the world and life didn't suddenly just become worthless for no reason, it's probably the beginning of a swing. That helps me ride it out. It also helps if I change my environment - if I'm feeling anxious or desperate or really down, going outdoors or to another room or going shopping instantly pus me into a different state of mind. I also do some of what you describe with clenchng hands real tight or pressing hard against something or closing my eyes and curling up. It's like the strong input slows down the sensory chaos. I never feel extra calm or even much calm though, lol. My sensory problems come and go pretty quickly. I'm autistic and have cerebellar dysplasia and other specific issues which seem to scramble my feelings and physical sensations. I work on recognizing those in therapy, which helps a little. I'd love to hear other strategies for dealing with it. :)

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 1:54 am

Thanks for the response.

I think it's always important to be honest about serious issues like this so I am going to be honest at the risk of reputation. I usually only get these sensations on a certain substance that I will remain nameless.

Regardless, it's an interesting phenomenon. I think the process that I experience is referred to as dissociation perhaps induced by self-hypnosis in a trance-like state.

I can imagine the most horrible situation ever in the entire world and it becomes so incredibly real to me that a certain point later in time I start to feel the bodily sensations independently. Sometimes these situations come on unexpectedly at a later point in time, but there was a thought preceding it.

This is one possibility. The other possibility is repressed trauma however since I can't recall anything, I am taking the viewpoint that I have unwittingly hypnotized myself.

Honestly, I think people have a great deal of ability to trick the mind into believing things. If you actually have a history of abuse that you can remember, what you are experiencing could be PTSD or a panic attack or OCD or who knows.

I am just throwing out all the options.

Anyway, the way I deal with it is by using the dissociate state to my advantage. I can change my bodily functions at will in the dissociative state. Sometimes, not always. Sometimes the rage becomes so incredibly that I have no choice but to ask for help promptly and immediately. I never act on the rage. I throw the rage into little pillows and stuff like that. I'm not sure why I get this. It's possible it's PTSD. It's possibly my mind is just really good at tricking itself.

Best of luck.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 3:42 am

I don't know much about cerebreal dysplasia (never heard of it) so I can't comment on that.

I think relaxation techniques can be helfpul though. Sometimes just focusing on deep breathing helps. You can focus all of your energy on your breathing if you are feeling overwhelmed.

I also get those feelings of worthless often. I don't know what to say other than it sucks.