Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 6:45 pm

Quote:
The teaching of Melody Torcolacci, a professor who allegedly promotes anti-vaccination views at Queen’s University, has prompted calls by a student group asking for her course information to be reviewed and fact-checked.

link

This is being taught in a first year course at Queen's University in the city where I live.

Quote:
On Wednesday, Queen’s principal Daniel Woolf tweeted: "I am aware of the situation regarding HLTH 102 and have asked the provost to work with Arts and Science to gather more information."

Provost Alan Harrison said he's started an investigation.

"We have expectations of all of our professors that they present all the evidence and do so comprehensively. If they have biases, they have to make them known," Harrison said in an interview.

Unbelievable that this is being taught as fact when it has been completely discredited.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 1:48 am

Props for the students seeing through the BS and doing something about it. Honestly, I don't think she's going to keep her job. It reflects too badly on the school and right now, it's a really hot topic. No one wants to be on the side of pro-measles. If she does keep it, she'll be held on a tight leash.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:52 am

Quote:
“We want to be partners reviewing this course content and, more importantly, reviewing the kind of mechanisms in place that allow this kind of course content to be delivered to students,” Zarzour said.

“There’s something wrong with our quality-assurance mechanisms in the university when students are being graded on stuff like this.”

link

I think they will come up with a way to get rid of her. It's an embarrassment to the school that they didn't catch this themselves. When 1st year students have to tell the admin that their prof is part of the antivax movement it makes them look like idiots.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 10:34 pm

That's nothing compared to some of the things I've been taught in college. And yes, last semester my biology teacher happened to be an anti-vaxer who made several comments and rants about it over the semester... and wrote the textbook the college now requires.

Yesterday I was told by my psychology professor, who happens to be a licensed medical professional, that the Zombie Virus has been created and that they are censoring the fact that the Renfield Syndrome cannibalistic attack in Texas a year ago was actually an accidental release of the virus.

But... I guess that's just America for you. And most of the lectures are filled with minor pieces of crap, but there are quite a few bombshells I've heard. I'm now of the opinion that few of my professors can be trusted as reliable sources of information as I don't know what pieces of crap I'm not catching.

Calling out the professor also seems to be rather dangerous.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 4:21 am

She has stepped down from teaching the class. It remains to be seen if she will keep teaching her other classes. I think they will buy her into early retirement.

link