Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 8:00 pm

In his talk, A Universe From Nothing, Lawrence Krauss made me aware of something I hadn't expected.

In many thousands of years, if humans are still here, their science will go backwards in a significant way. By that time, only our galaxy will be visible. The other galaxies will be further away and moving away so fast that we will no longer see them. The very notion of galaxies other than our own will become nothing more than myth, changing how people in that time understand the universe. We have the evidence for what's out there, right now, beyond our own galaxy, but eventually that evidence will disappear.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 8:30 pm

That is something that is eminently possible--the universe reversing course.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 9:31 pm

Currently, our best telescopes have a discernible look-back of over 10,000,000,000 years. This means that even 1,000,000 years from now, our descendent will still have essentially the same view of distant galaxies as we do now.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 9:46 pm

Well I guess we will have to, like, write it down or something.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 11:17 pm

AspE wrote:

Would you believe writings from thousands of years earlier that said there used to be other things in the night sky?

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 2:35 am

I thought that was why they were using mathematics instead of trying to look with the naked eye.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:19 am

Narrator wrote:
AspE wrote:
Would you believe writings from thousands of years earlier that said there used to be other things in the night sky?
Things like bears and wagons and bearded old men throwing lightning around? Yeah ... the origins of myth and religion ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:24 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I thought that was why they were using mathematics instead of trying to look with the naked eye.
You thought wrong. They are using maths to design the optics used in astronomy. They use these optics to see objects that are billions of light-years away. Sometimes they physically look through their telescopes, but most of the time they use sensitive cameras to do the looking for them.

It's called 'Astronomy', which is a 'Science'. You might want to look these things up for yourself, instead of making up nonsense.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Feb 2015, 8:34 am

Narrator wrote:
AspE wrote:

I'd believe photographs, particularly those taken by people who were right about most other things and empirically predicted the situation I found myself in.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:28 am

Narrator wrote:
In his talk, A Universe From Nothing, Lawrence Krauss made me aware of something I hadn't expected.

In many thousands of years, if humans are still here, their science will go backwards in a significant way. By that time, only our galaxy will be visible. The other galaxies will be further away and moving away so fast that we will no longer see them. The very notion of galaxies other than our own will become nothing more than myth, changing how people in that time understand the universe. We have the evidence for what's out there, right now, beyond our own galaxy, but eventually that evidence will disappear.
Only if you arbitrarily assume that the Universe is expanding. Presently, the only reason to assume an expanding Universe is the assumption of a "Big Bang".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:30 am

Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
In his talk, A Universe From Nothing, Lawrence Krauss made me aware of something I hadn't expected. In many thousands of years, if humans are still here, their science will go backwards in a significant way. By that time, only our galaxy will be visible. The other galaxies will be further away and moving away so fast that we will no longer see them. The very notion of galaxies other than our own will become nothing more than myth, changing how people in that time understand the universe. We have the evidence for what's out there, right now, beyond our own galaxy, but eventually that evidence will disappear.
Only if you arbitrarily assume that the Universe is expanding. Presently, the only reason to assume an expanding Universe is the assumption of a "Big Bang".
... and the "Red Shift" of every Galaxy outside of our Local Group.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 11:31 am

Fnord wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
In his talk, A Universe From Nothing, Lawrence Krauss made me aware of something I hadn't expected. In many thousands of years, if humans are still here, their science will go backwards in a significant way. By that time, only our galaxy will be visible. The other galaxies will be further away and moving away so fast that we will no longer see them. The very notion of galaxies other than our own will become nothing more than myth, changing how people in that time understand the universe. We have the evidence for what's out there, right now, beyond our own galaxy, but eventually that evidence will disappear.
You need to do some homework. The popular media don't tell you all you need to know.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 11:51 am

It would must likelly take much more that "thousands" of years, propably BILLIONS of years. In the grand scheme of the Universe a few thousands years is nothing.

Oldavid wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
You need to do some homework. The popular media don't tell you all you need to know.

You're the one needing to do homeworks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Observational_evidence

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:37 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
You need to go to school. Aboriginal petroglyphs tend to be quite a bit less than scientifically accurate.

:lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Feb 2015, 7:56 pm

I don't believe Mankind as we know it will exist in 1,000,0000 years, we have barely made it 200k so far.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 8:15 pm

Edgar Allan Poe described in his prose poem, Eureka, that the universe began with an "instantaneous flash" and could end with a collapse (this was almost 80 years before Georges Lemaître first noted that an expanding universe might be traced back in time to an originating single point).

I suppose that, as distance is increased between galaxies, science will need to be constantly rewritten. But, even the rewrites will need revision when the collapse is imminent; unless Red Dwarf is correct about life itself reversing to include backwards speech and backwards births. :lol:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)