Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:55 pm

I am concerned that my boyfriend may have some type of psychosis.

He does not seem to have any kind of delusions or paranoia, but he has been seeming to have some auditory hallucinations and odd behaviors.

He told me that he has voices in his head that tell him very negative things. He described it as having the angel and devil in each shoulder like your conscience, but instead they're all a bunch of devils.

I asked him if they sound like they're in his head or if they sound like they're in the room. He said that sometimes they sound like they're in his head, but sometimes they sound like they're in the room.

I asked him if they're bad things that he is thinking, and he said that they're just voices there that he can't stop.

He also displays some other peculiar behaviors, such as he bangs his head on the wall when he is stressed, and he tells me that he doesn't know why he exists and thinks he should die. He isn't depressed, I'm sure, but he tends to be on the sensitive side, and he will say things like that. I think it may have to do with the voices in his head making him more upset about something small, since they say negative things.

He isn't depressed. I'm depressed, and I know depression can be different for different people, but he doesn't actually seem depressed at all- just sensitive. His overall mood isn't so bad usually.

He also is quite introverted as I am, which I know can mean anything or nothing, but I thought I'd mention it since people with psychosis tend to withdraw socially as well, and this is about him possibly having psychosis.

I am still trying to figure out if these voices are just things that he is thinking or not. It doesn't seem like it with the way he describes it, but some of them are echoes of bad things people have said to him, while some are just general bad things made up by his brain.

I'm telling his dad about this as soon as he responds.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 8:51 pm

It's great that you have that kind of relationship with his dad. I hope his dad understands that you are good for his son.

How old is your boyfriend?

I think, in some ways, that you're quite advanced for 14. I think you'll be a great therapist some day. I was not nearly as perceptive, nor as brave, as you are, when I was 14. I was just an Aspie kid, thinking only about himself.

I hope all that you've done will start him on the road to recovery.

He probably has lots of creativity in him. I hope any treatment won't stifle that creativity.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:26 pm

and he tells me that he doesn't know why he exists and thinks he should die. = Depression in my opinion. Depressed individuals can be pretty good at hiding it. Myself for example, most wouldn't think it, but I'm always in a state of extreme low. Sensitivity can also connect to depression.

Might be an idea to pry more about possible delusions, people usually try to hide them. Paranoia can also be hard to identify, especially if he never vocalizes it. Sensitivity can definitely correlate with paranoia. When someone believes something they don't want others to know about it because they're possibly scared if someone found out.

It very well sounds like he is suffering from some kind of break from reality from what you've said. Bring it up with his dad as soon as possible. He might just be under a lot of strain right now, not all auditory hallucinations equal schizophrenia. Just encourage him to tell the whole truth and leave nothing secret.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 9:35 pm

He's 13 turning 14 this year. He doesn't think that he's depressed either from when it's come up in discussion in the past, but he's comparing it to me, because I'm very depressed, so he could be depressed, just on a different level than me maybe. He just doesn't seem to have any trouble with being motivated to do things like I have trouble, and he's easily entertained.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 11:39 am

You know in all my days at the mental institute...the doctors kept insisting that I hear voices.

I have never heard a voice in my life --> but the TV is definetly full of it.

TV today talks AT YOU , especially high volume, high turn over Television. Advertising itself takes on the techniques of trying to instill a psychotic break in the viewer in order too sell or immerse them in the moment. Computer games are somewhat neater, in the sence that you are interacting with it, so you have a perception of control.

Kids are having more and more problems today, because TV is trying to take them away from the parent. Once a pyschosis is set in the mind it is quite impossible to get rid of, and no amount of drugs is going to fix it. Pyschosis is a portion of the mind we ALL UTILISE, it is just that the people that sell to others have MORE OF A LIFE, and hence do not delve deep into what they are selling/promoting ALL THE TIME. The buyer (Teenage old kid), has alot of time on his/her hands, hence whatever storyline associated with the psychosis that has developed...will continue, to grow and get worse over time.

eg. A normal Pyschosis is: I am teenager, I like computer games, I learn computer programming --> get job as adult.
A not so great pyschosis is: I am teenager, I like TV, TV is full of nice main characters, I wish I was the main character; maybe I am the main character. (and the reason some of this occurs is because Teenager is supposed to be apart of the community, and if is left out in some manner, then may look toward an education unit outside of the real world (TV)

Hearing and seeing things: This is starting to become quite normal for the kids of today...thier recall abilities are at least 10 times the speed of the previous generation. (This is hyperbole, but a good one)

Depressed speech patterns: This is a TV epidemic. An entire generation had wholesome disney ommited from thier diet. In my opinion I think this is a good thing, it means kids that do have problems don't bottle it up forever like in the olden days, rather they are more vocal, and show their true internal state. Sadly this is a boon for the psychiatric industry, rather than a wake-up call too parents, that you have robbed the current generation of their childhood.

I highly recommend an external community to join - one that has nothing todo with pill swapping. Anything from tennis through to helping in retirement homes...AND treating those places as new friendship circles. (Not just as a method to becoming a future politician)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm

serenaserenaserena wrote:
I am still trying to figure out if these voices are just things that he is thinking or not. It doesn't seem like it with the way he describes it, but some of them are echoes of bad things people have said to him, while some are just general bad things made up by his brain.

There's a theory about hearing voices that suggests that people who hear voices have trouble distinguishing between their internal monologue and external sounds. So they mistake their internal monologue for an external voice. Some research studies suggest that the brains of people who hear voices react the same to self-created and external stimuli, whereas NT brains clearly distinguish the two. So it's possible those voices are things he's thinking, but he misperceives them as voices he's hearing.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm

serenaserenaserena wrote:
He's 13 turning 14 this year. He doesn't think that he's depressed either from when it's come up in discussion in the past, but he's comparing it to me, because I'm very depressed, so he could be depressed, just on a different level than me maybe. He just doesn't seem to have any trouble with being motivated to do things like I have trouble, and he's easily entertained.

Hearing voices doesn't necessarily mean the depression is more "severe" so don't fall into the trap of comparing severities of depression. People experience it differently. Sometimes the voices I believe are a sort of protection mechanism. Although this is debatable.

I used to hear voices and they generally reflected thoughts that I thought other people were thinking about me. "What an idiot," "what a dummy" stuff like that, although they usually appeared to come out of the blue. I think it went along with being very introspective, very intense, having a lot of emotions, not knowing how to deal with people.

It's a feeling of always being attacked, feeling that the world is cruel and unforgiving.

Try to include him in activities if possible. Ostracism makes it worse.

alomoes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

Oh. The voices. You can control them in some cases. It is interesting what people have done with them.

Along with the voices are feelings.

I created a whole other person and have conversations with them in my head at times. Took me quite a while to do so.