Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:03 pm

Oh boy, we're in the American public's spotlight again. And of course it has the negative spin of trying to make Putin look weak/bad. Do people really have nothing better to do. I really hate all the speculation about certain historical and famous people having ASD for some reason.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/02/04/putin-aspergers-syndrome-study-pentagon/22855927/

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:47 pm

They can't make a definitive long-distance diagnosis.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:50 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
They can't make a definitive long-distance diagnosis.

Exactly. Its just dumb. It's an obvious smear tactic, because ASD = Narcissism and mass murders in the mind of the uniformed person.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2015, 1:22 am

It's funny how some people consider this news worthy.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2015, 2:28 am

The CIA "experts" can't discern the difference between a narcissistic sociopath with ocd in the beginning stages of dementia from someone with Asperger's....and now the public who don't know any better will associate Asperger's with another negatively perceived person in the news. Great.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:30 am

I don't think this is the same as random people in the media just jumping to conclusions and claiming a famous person has Asperger's. I'm not saying I think that they're correct about it necessarily, but assuming the article is accurate, this is a conclusion that professionals hired by the government have made. I assume they do a thorough analysis on many foreign leaders to try to determine how best to work with them, which makes complete sense to me. The fact that there is a news article about this one in particular doesn't mean it's false or trying to make someone look bad.

He could have Asperger's. Or he might not. To the government that detail actually is important, as it would certainly change their approach in dealing with him. Not so much to the public, but they have to have their news stories I guess.

Anyway, anyone who thinks he is some kind of psychopath just because of this is uneducated and ignorant.

- Sherlock Holmes

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 3:34 am

i got a kick out of that article

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 6:30 am

I haven't seen anything that suggests Putin is a sociopath... I think he honestly believes that he is doing what is right, not just claiming to be to manipulate the Russian people. Unlike certain other world leaders.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 8:19 am

L_Holmes wrote:
I don't think this is the same as random people in the media just jumping to conclusions and claiming a famous person has Asperger's. I'm not saying I think that they're correct about it necessarily, but assuming the article is accurate, this is a conclusion that professionals hired by the government have made. I assume they do a thorough analysis on many foreign leaders to try to determine how best to work with them, which makes complete sense to me. The fact that there is a news article about this one in particular doesn't mean it's false or trying to make someone look bad.

He could have Asperger's. Or he might not. To the government that detail actually is important, as it would certainly change their approach in dealing with him. Not so much to the public, but they have to have their news stories I guess.

Anyway, anyone who thinks he is some kind of psychopath just because of this is uneducated and ignorant.

I don't care what Vladimir Putin has. He's clearly a stiff-necked megalomaniac, with apparent delusions of restoring the USSR (like THAT was so all-fired great).

If he's an Aspie, can I go to the CIA and offer myself up as a covert operative with the goal of taking out what is a member of my phenotype clearly gone rogue???

I agree with what other people have said-- It's just another reason for me to be afraid. Calculated?? Maybe, maybe not. It gets harder to believe "not" with every passing year.

Uneducated and ignorant to think he's a psychopath just because of this?? Yes. Absolutely. Dangerously so.

Equally uneducated and ignorant to make the generalization-- openly stated yesterday on my local CBS feed-- that he's representative of people with Level 1 Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Want to tell me how many ignorant and uneducated people there are running around??

Does being poorly read mean they're too stupid to figure out how to kill you??

If you believe that, you're an ignorant educated fool.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 11:11 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:

I don't care what Vladimir Putin has. He's clearly a stiff-necked megalomaniac, with apparent delusions of restoring the USSR (like THAT was so all-fired great).

If he's an Aspie, can I go to the CIA and offer myself up as a covert operative with the goal of taking out what is a member of my phenotype clearly gone rogue???

I agree with what other people have said-- It's just another reason for me to be afraid. Calculated?? Maybe, maybe not. It gets harder to believe "not" with every passing year.

Uneducated and ignorant to think he's a psychopath just because of this?? Yes. Absolutely. Dangerously so.

Equally uneducated and ignorant to make the generalization-- openly stated yesterday on my local CBS feed-- that he's representative of people with Level 1 Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Want to tell me how many ignorant and uneducated people there are running around??

Does being poorly read mean they're too stupid to figure out how to kill you??

If you believe that, you're an ignorant educated fool.

I'm confused about why you think I'm a fool. I didn't say anything stupid. I never said I agreed that he is autistic, nor did I say I think he is a great person. I'm just saying that people seem to be really quick to dismiss things like this and say, "No way, he is not autistic, the government is full of idiots who have no idea what they're doing." To me, that is a bit ridiculous. You're not a professional, you can neither diagnose nor confirm a misdiagnosis. And there is no real reason for me to believe that the government would only hire fools, that just doesn't make sense to me.

The news media could easily be exaggerating to make a better story. That doesn't mean there isn't some truth to it. Again, I'm not saying it is true, I just think people shouldn't dismiss it right off the bat. You don't have the professional qualifications to do so (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not sure what I said that you are disagreeing with, and I really don't understand why you are calling me ignorant. But believe it or not, it is possible to disagree with someone without resorting to childlike insults.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 11:14 am

They talked about NOT conclusively diagnosing Putin with Asperger's because he hadn't had a brain scan--that says it all!

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 7:47 pm

Moromillas wrote:

Call the press, we've got our next big headliner.

- Sherlock Holmes

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2015, 8:51 pm

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 8:43 am

link

Quote:
Therein lies the more serious issue. According to USA Today, the “researchers can’t prove their theory about Putin and Asperger’s… because they were not able to perform a brain scan on the Russian president”. This assertion appears to have come not from the newspaper, but from Connors herself, which is bizarre and frustrating for two reasons. First, because diagnosing autistic spectrum disorder is a complex process and should only be done by people with an appropriate clinical qualification. Second, because very simply you can’t diagnose autistic spectrum disorders with brain scans. For crying out loud.

Quote:
In the “Putin has Asperger’s case”, there’s an additional problem – it plays into stigmatising myths about the disorder. Prof. Bishop points out “it seems like a clumsy attempt to discredit Putin, so that people don’t take him seriously. But in doing so it manages to upset people who genuinely have got Asperger’s and autism. People in these communities get very upset about this sort of stigma. It’s become almost a term of abuse to say that someone’s got Asperger’s” she adds.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 7:57 pm

I don't think that you, personally, are a fool. Sorry that my words could be taken that way.

But the idea that we shouldn't be concerned because anyone who would assume he's a psychopath based on this latest piece of media rubbish is uneducated and ignorant-- that doesn't hold water.

There are a lot of uneducated, ignorant people out there, friend.

To believe that being uneducated and ignorant means they're not capable of being dangerous is deeply foolish.