biased!I guarantee this is not always the case.(warning!)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2015, 8:04 am

Here goes.......http://psychcentral.com/lib/feeling-invisible-in-the-asperger-world/00021148 :(

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2015, 12:24 am

Kinda reminds me of "Missing White Woman Syndrome".

"Oh no, look at all these poor NT people suffering because of evil, unsympathetic autistic people! Help!" (Yes, I KNOW I came off like a dick)

Yeah, and not show the torment and PTSD that was given to an aspie by their relentless, god-awful, and equally un-empathetic NT peers and "helpers". The writers of the article can kiss my autistic, PTSD-suffering ass.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2015, 3:28 am

These kinds of articles always annoy me. Besides fillicide, how often do you see articles about neurotypical parents abusing their autistic children?

A consistent pattern of social rejection will make any Aspie feel invisible. The bullying is worse.

I don't feel sympathy for NTs who complain about their autistic parents. They will have a much easier time getting a job, into a relationship, all of those thing. It seems to me that the author of this article wants to use autistics as scapegoats for neurotypical's problems.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 4:15 am

Just to consider an alternative perspective, what if the writer herself has asperger's?

You look too deep into this stuff and you just find a bunch of BS.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 4:24 am

What bothered me the most was locking her kid out of the house and the mother sounding so incompetent like she doesn't get what she is doing as if she is intellectual disabled. Hey two of my best friends were locked out of their home by their NT parents and grandparents and one of them also got no love from her mother and all she did was scream at her and would leave her wandering alone outside as a toddler only in her diaper and not one single person ever called social services, not even my mother either.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2015, 8:45 am

So let me get this straight;
We have an ~80% unemployment rate.
Are commonly thought of as a disease or defect.
Are thought of as an epidemic.
Are thoroughly ostracized from society.
"Understanding" when parents murder their AS kids.
Many NTs want to prevent AS.
Around 66% of AS people have had suicidal thoughts.
While depression and anxiety is common.

So apparently, NTs are now the victims. On, what, f*****g, planet?

Oh, surprise surprise, the article doesn't have a comments section. Would you look at that.

The most infuriating part, is that the writer of this article still has a job, is still thought of as an "expert", and is still allowed to spew this cancerous BS to people that will gobble it all up without question.

Name any other minority where "professionals" can spew this kind of hateful bigotry and get away with it, name one.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 2:12 pm

Quote:
They [child or children] feel ignored, unappreciated and unloved, because their context-blind Aspie family member(s) is so poor at empathic reciprocity.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/feeling-inv ... d/00021148

No, the Spectrum parent just needs bigger texture. And like any parent can often get along with their kids fine. In fact, the Spectrum parent might be better at spelling things out in clear ways.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 4:19 pm

Quote:
We learn from dialectical psychology that we come to know ourselves in relation to others. Throughout our lifespan, we continue to weave and reweave the context of our lives, and our self-esteem, by the interactions we have with our friends, coworkers, neighbors and loved ones.

I did not know nts did this^

But, yeah, the article is hard to read. Invisibility, psychic numbing, ongoing traumatic relationship syndrome. Yikes! I didn't know the effects of partnering with an autistic could be so profound. Kinda makes me feel like crap.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 9:07 pm

Get the worst example of an Autistic behaving badly and it as that is how all autistics "burden" neurotypicals. Anything new here?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman