Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2015, 8:24 pm

I finally saw that travesty of a PSA for the firts time the other day. I couldn't watch it again because it just made me feel like nothing but a burden on society.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm

More people need to see this. Only 40,000 people have watched the video on Youtube. This number needs to be at least 200k.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2015, 8:53 pm

ok wow first time seeing that it was horrible
This reminds me of some of the people on facebook who preach autism awareness to the hills and back but they never really get it. They go off of generalizations and it is just another social crusade to preach for them.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 3:51 pm

I am ashamed to say that I had to stop it after one minute. Someone else said it made them cry. I felt that way too.

I had to take a class once called Film and Censorship, where they made us watch a number of terrible things. This A$ video to me was in the same class as:
-Nazi propaganda
-Blackface/white supremecist propaganda
-Execution/graphic accident films

I do not say that lightly. It had a joyful hate tone in it that was disgusting. Like the other kinds of films I mentioned, when you see it you feel like everyone and no one should see it.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm

Iv'e been reading some of the comments on the video.

My personal favorites comments of cussing out autism speaks.

-Seck Boi says: **** AUTISM SPEAKS
**** AUTISM SPEAKS
ALL THERE MEMBERS
MUST DIE
IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF IT
**** YOU!

-Rswarchannel says: **** all dem haterz. I be whoever i wanna be, f**k u neurotypical ass***** called Autism $peaks! Don't **** with DEEZ NUTZ!

-Astenclarke says: I am autism and I will make sure whoever founded Autism Speaks dies a ******* painful death.

-Drixenol86 says: Autism Speaks, go back to Nazi Germany!

-Hylian Dragoon says: Dear Autism Speaks,
Eat a f***ing bowl of d***s. Autism isn't a f*****g disease. It doesn't make you a horrible person. Autism isn't f*****g sentient! It doesn't want to kill us! Go f**k yourself autism speaks! You guys are immature, xenophobic, ill knowledgable, MORONS!!

-Mark943 says: ***f*****s Speaks needs to go eat some nightlock berries.

-epicderp43 says: **** these people. I have it. I hope all these people get the electrical chair, their company is shut down and their channel, heir videos, everything they've done gets removed.

-A B says: I'm offensive and I found this autistic.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 4:40 pm

this video is not new to wrongplanet,it was all over in 09 and 2010

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 7:08 pm

TheAP wrote:
I dislike the first part, which makes autism seem like a terrible thing and uses generalizations like "autism will ruin your marriage." I like the second part better because at least the parents are expressing their love for their kids. But they're still viewing autism as something bad that needs to be fought against instead of accepting it.

How about accepting the fact that for many people 'acceptance' just isn't an option, because the disadvantages to having it far outweigh any perceived benefits? I hear so much about how we should all just accept autism/A.S., but why should we? We aren't all the same, and those who like to pontificate about 'acceptance' seem to think they can speak for all of us. Well, you don't speak for me!

As for the film clip - it was six years ago! Get over it! They admitted a long time ago that it was a mistake.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 7:10 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

Exactly. Why are people still bringing this up?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 7:33 am

Lintar wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Exactly. Why are people still bringing this up?
yea its old news.there was a old troll back in 10" who is now banned who i cant name who loved to promote the video believe it or not

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm

Lintar wrote:
How about accepting the fact that for many people 'acceptance' just isn't an option, because the disadvantages to having it far outweigh any perceived benefits? I hear so much about how we should all just accept autism/A.S., but why should we? We aren't all the same, and those who like to pontificate about 'acceptance' seem to think they can speak for all of us. Well, you don't speak for me!

But many people with autism don't want a cure, and it's unfair that NTs in the cure movement try to speak for us and tell us that we need to be cured. It should be up to autistic people to decide whether they want to be cured.

I realize that there are some, like you, who do want to be cured of their autism. But it's unlikely that we will find a cure any time soon, so the best we can do in the meantime is fight to be accepted and keep trying to improve quality of life for autistic people. The autism acceptance movement is just trying to encourage NT society to accept us as individuals.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 11:14 pm

Autism Speaks will never speak for me.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 10:55 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Autism Speaks will never speak for me.

^ Exactly.

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2015, 9:00 am

The message I received from the first half of this was "Autism is a bad thing, and this is why it's destructive", and then the second half was "Autism is still a bad thing, but this is how it can be fought". Now, I don't like either of those messages, because Autism Spectrum Disorders are not a 'bad' thing, they're a difference, and has positives. The negatives can be worked on and improved, and the positives are a boon. It's neither an exclusively bad or good thing, it's just a difference.