Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2015, 1:50 pm

Also what are some commonly held stereotypes about people with Aspergers that you have heard?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 2:01 pm

Do you mean "Are people patronizing toward those with Asperger's Syndrome?"

If so, then 'Yes'.

There was a recent discussion about someone who said that whenever she had a disagreement with family members, they would dismiss her claims with, "That's just your Autism showing." I think this might be common in families or business environment where one person is generally ignored because he or she is known to be an Aspie.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 2:17 pm

GoofyGreatDane wrote:
Also what are some commonly held stereotypes about people with Aspergers that you have heard?

That people with Asperger's have no feelings. That they communicate exclusively by stating facts about their special interests in a very monotone voice. That they are completely clueless about anything social or emotional, no matter how old they are. That they can't understand even the simplest figurative phrases. That they can never have friends or be in a relationship.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2015, 3:23 pm

Yes, people will pretend you have amazing abilities in something when that's not accurate.

And, you're asking for a laundry list of BS.
Off the top of my head,
That we're disabled or defective.
That we're suffering from a disease.
That we're non-function burdens that live off parents.
That we lack comprehension, ironically enough.
Lack emotions.
Can "lose control" and end up harming or killing people.
Some others that I've probably forgotten.

Oh, that Autism bux is amazing. And it's ok if we're treated like s**t, because "don't you get money from the government?"

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 4:10 pm

There is a proportion of normocentric people who patronise anything that they see as different from themselves. This is fundamentally attributable to character faults, brainwashing by families/schools/churches/media, intellectual limitiations such as egocentricity, ignorance, herd thinking, cowardice, bigotry and a need to compensate for personal limitiations/inferiority.

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

Yes unfortunately...

GoofyGreatDane wrote:

From my freshmen year in high school, my English teacher knew that i had aspergers and tell me that "People with aspergers/austism don't like loud noises." It hurts me that she tell me this bs yet i listened to alot of punk and heavy metal for a long time and i'm used to loud noises. Bad enough, she tell me that in front of people in class. (keep that in mind that it was 7 years ago.)

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2015, 6:06 pm

B19 wrote:
There is a proportion of normocentric people who patronise anything that they see as different from themselves. This is fundamentally attributable to character faults, brainwashing by families/schools/churches/media, intellectual limitiations such as egocentricity, ignorance, herd thinking, cowardice, bigotry and a need to compensate for personal limitiations/inferiority.

I've also found people, where, you simply can't have a conversation about it with them, because they can't comprehend even the basics.

My last was "they're disabled because problems with social interaction", and thought the various descriptions confirmed and were evidence for this. So I explained that the descriptions of AS people, are talking about the deficits only within interactions between NTs and AS people. And he asks "Oh, what's an NT?"

It's like when creationists think that evolution is about evolving from monkeys, and ask why the monkeys are still around. Ok, that means I can't even have a conversation with them about this, because of a lack of comprehension that's necessary to understand even the basics.

Edit: Oh, and this is all after linking Tony's description of Asperger's where is specifically states "different, not defective".

Last edited by Moromillas on 07 Feb 2015, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

MetalFist wrote:
Yes unfortunately...

GoofyGreatDane wrote:

From my freshmen year in high school, my English teacher knew that i had aspergers and tell me that "People with aspergers/austism don't like loud noises." It hurts me that she tell me this bs yet i listened to alot of punk and heavy metal for a long time and i'm used to loud noises. Bad enough, she tell me that in front of people in class. (keep that in mind that it was 7 years ago.)

Wow, that's one hell of a way to come out to the entire school. I would have been absolutely murderous.

the-comander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2015, 7:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
Do you mean "Are people patronizing toward those with Asperger's Syndrome?"

If so, then 'Yes'.

There was a recent discussion about someone who said that whenever she had a disagreement with family members, they would dismiss her claims with, "That's just your Autism showing." I think this might be common in families or business environment where one person is generally ignored because he or she is known to be an Aspie.

ive had that experiance to.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 9:48 am

Both my ex boyfriends did this. Anything different from his friends was my Aspergers and me getting pissed easily was also the AS. With my second boyfriend he would say things like how I am supposed to be good at math or tell me to use my AS to be more neat with the stack of papers or how he can't see I have it if I am bad at math or too immature and how I am not into tech stuff. Sadly he got too hung up on the stereotypes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Lana123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2015, 11:31 am

TheAP wrote:
GoofyGreatDane wrote:

That people with Asperger's have no feelings. That they communicate exclusively by stating facts about their special interests in a very monotone voice. That they are completely clueless about anything social or emotional, no matter how old they are. That they can't understand even the simplest figurative phrases. That they can never have friends or be in a relationship.

Exactly. " Cold and calculating" person... I heard this from a friend

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 11:34 am

That people with AS are lazy ... of course, NTs are never lazy ...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 4:12 am

From where I live, it's not just aspies.

But aspies 'here' seems to be more likely being patronized as 'geniuses', 'innocents' and 'overly honest ones'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Richard Cole
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2015, 7:04 am

First, let it not go unsaid that aside from having Asperger's, I am an INTJ personality. If you are unfamiliar with Meyers-Briggs Personality Type theory, it's based on Jungian psychology, so fire up your search engine and have yourself some fun. I'm very introverted, I don't flaunt my knowledge, but no one plays Trivia Crack or Trivial Pursuit with me anymore.

Here are two examples I get a lot:

- "It doesn't matter what I (think/feel/want), you have Asperger's." In other words, because I have Asperger's, I am apparently completely self-centered, solipsistic, and have zero regard for others. I try to explain that ASD is not even remotely close to APD. I get this at home a lot.

-"Oh my god, you are so Dr. Cooper from Big Bang Theory. I bet you love that show/you would love that show." Who? What? After hearing this more times than I care to recall I finally watched the show, and while I do think it's great to see more introverted personalities who display ASD characteristics, why must I be likened to a comical portrayal? I'm not trying to be comical, this is how I am. Why can't I be "so Dr. Reid" or "so Dr. Brennan"?

Funny story, at work we got out of a meeting and had a follow-up meeting to clarify any questions on the individual departmental level, and some of the, for hierarchical reference, subordinates had asked "What is PDCA?" I was already engaged in my work when the question was turned to me. I asked that the question be repeated, and what I had heard was "PVCA", to which I immediately responded "Polyvinyl Chloride Acetate" and turned back around to my computer. The Sr. Manager leading the meeting then said he would have the answer by the next meeting. Later, people would ask me where I came up with that, I said I heard Victor, not Delta, and the follow up question was why I even knew that.

I listen to a myriad of things while I work, and one day I was just cracking up at my desk, laughing out loud. This is not a problem, people actually feel a little better when I make such displays of joviality. Finally someone asked me what was so funny, so I told them. I was listening to a hilarious mock-debate on You Tube between a string theorist and a quantum loop gravitational theorist, but the theorists had to defend the opposing theory, so the string theorist was debating on behalf of quantum loop gravitational theory and vice versa, and it was more like a Friar's Club roast. Little had I known that there was an episode of Big Bang Theory on the night before involving such a less-than-lighthearted debate on the same subject.

Alright, maybe I bring that one on myself. Still, I prefer Dr. Reid over Dr. Cooper as far as comparison to fictional characters goes.

Finally, work is much like high school was. I am not very well liked by the majority of people because they see me as a know it all, when my job is to be incredibly knowledgeable of the processes and systems here. Intelligence is alienating, and being introversion is seen as pretentiousness. I can be pleasant to talk to, I'm just not the one to start the conversation. There are four people in the building that either understand me or pegged me as being on the spectrum. Upper management relies on me for things that are beyond my job description and hierarchical position here, which is fine, but ignore when I explain how they can resolve the issue in the future. Instead, they keep coming back to me.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 1:34 pm

Welcome to the club!

Richard Cole

14 May 2015, 6:58 am

Thank you, it's great to be here.

I suppose another example could be when people with Asperger's become the "go-to" for trivial or technical information for their own amusement. While on the outside it appears as a compliment, the individual on the spectrum can become a crutch or what I've long referred to as "dance, monkey, dance". Some of the things I've been asked with the expectation that I am an expert on the subject are ridiculous and at times insulting. Just the other day someone asked me to confirm something so outlandish I couldn't believe someone was actually asking anyone let alone me. I simply responded "Why would I know that?"

What is it the young people say? "Face-palm"?