Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:19 pm

Autism Speaks has reclarified their vaccine position, eliminating the lukewarm language and making it unambiguously pro-vaccine. They were not overtly anti-vaccine before this week, but their message appeared to be designed to please both sides.

Here's their new stance:
http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/pol ... and-autism

The change happened on Feb 4.
The timing is quite suspicious as it aligns with measles outbreaks being all over the news. I suspect it has more to do with good PR and fundraising than a newly-found belief in sound science. So, a very limited kudos for finally acknowledging that vaccines do not cause autism.

There's still plenty of other problems with A$, such as excluding autistics from discussions, silencing autistics, hateful rhetoric, support for JRC, among others.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:32 pm

So, Autism Speaks is off the hook simply because "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"?

No, thanks. I do the opposite of those who would restrict my natural rights (like speaking for myself). If they approve of something, I question their approval and refuse until I am satisfied of their approval (which is doubtful).

So, they like vaccines now? That alone makes me even more strident in my opposition of them.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:58 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
So, Autism Speaks is off the hook simply because "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"?

No, thanks. I do the opposite of those who would restrict my natural rights (like speaking for myself). If they approve of something, I question their approval and refuse until I am satisfied of their approval (which is doubtful).

So, they like vaccines now? That alone makes me even more strident in my opposition of them.

Off the hook? That's pretty close to the opposite of what I'm saying. I say that they're only doing it because it's expedient, and I still have problems with them.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 6:09 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Off the hook? That's pretty close to the opposite of what I'm saying. I say that they're only doing it because it's expedient, and I still have problems with them.

Ah, then we agree. Ditto!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 8:47 pm

Autism Speaks was created with a few goals in minds...

1. Make money.

2. Do away with Autism

3. Influence people towards their vision

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

emax10000
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Feb 2015, 4:38 pm

I wonder to what extent there has been studies about the issue of whether or not large amounts of vaccines can have the effect of making autistic symptoms worse among those who have the genetic makeup that contributes to it. I mean, I had thought there has been progress in isolating those who are born with a genetic makeup that causes autism and so I was wondering about studies that show the effects of the modern vaccine dosage, which is significantly higher than it was even in the 80s, on the symptoms of autism specifically for the subset that is born with it. I mean, we know that vaccines of course do not by themselves turn complete NTs into autistics but I was wondering the extent to which the neuro atypical subset has been isolated.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm

Here's a Disability Scoop article on the flip flop http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2015/02/ ... nes/20040/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 9:12 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
So, Autism Speaks is off the hook simply because "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"? No, thanks. I do the opposite of those who would restrict my natural rights (like speaking for myself). If they approve of something, I question their approval and refuse until I am satisfied of their approval (which is doubtful). So, they like vaccines now? That alone makes me even more strident in my opposition of them.
"Expedient"?

As in, "It is expedient for us to make a public announcement of our change in policy, as doing so attracts more donors, which translates directly into more money ... for us!"

Follow the money, kids; just follow the money.

8)

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 9:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
So, Autism Speaks is off the hook simply because "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"? No, thanks. I do the opposite of those who would restrict my natural rights (like speaking for myself). If they approve of something, I question their approval and refuse until I am satisfied of their approval (which is doubtful). So, they like vaccines now? That alone makes me even more strident in my opposition of them.
"Expedient"?

As in, "It is expedient for us to make a public announcement of our change in policy, as doing so attracts more donors, which translates directly into more money ... for us!"

Follow the money, kids; just follow the money.

8)

Exactly. In my view, they're doing the right thing for the wrong reason. They will lose some donors over this, but they calculated that they'd lose more by maintaining their previous position.

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm

I bet they'll turn around when the measles (or other preventable disease) epidemic quiets down.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 7:18 pm

Skullbug wrote:
I bet they'll turn around when the measles (or other preventable disease) epidemic quiets down.

I wouldn't put that past them.

chessplayer
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Feb 2015, 10:12 am

It's sad because Autism Speaks is supposed to be an organization that helps those who are on the Autism Spectrum, but the more you read about them, the more clear it becomes that the people who work there only care about themselves and their own agenda.

Vaccinations are not the answer. They cause harm rather than good. Some of the diagnoses for Autism were caused by vaccinations...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:14 am

chessplayer wrote:
... Vaccinations are not the answer. They cause harm rather than good. Some of the diagnoses for Autism were caused by vaccinations...
Evidence, Please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 2:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
chessplayer wrote:
... Vaccinations are not the answer. They cause harm rather than good. Some of the diagnoses for Autism were caused by vaccinations...
Evidence, Please?

There is no evidence...

Except for easily debunked anecdotes.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

MelissaCho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2015, 8:59 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
Skullbug wrote:

I wouldn't put that past them.

That's what frauds do.