undiagnosed SPD & suspected ASD 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
suspected SPD & undiagnosed ASD 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
suspected SPD & diagnosed ASD 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

KindleHeart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2015, 12:15 am

Sensory Processing Disorder (formally sensory integration disorder)
http://www.spdfoundation.net/about-sens ... order.html

This is a place to discuss the disorder, your experiences, & give advice.

Growing up I had tactile, auditory and oral hypersensitivity, but visual hypo-sensitivity. I could absorb huge amounts of visual data without becoming overwhelmed and could see minute details way more easily that almost anybody. My world was too sensitive, too crowded, too noisy, & too much stimuli coming from multiple places. Over the years the sensory issues lessened. I learned to ignore & tolerate them. I control my environment & desensitize myself. I research the disorder and apply what I learn. I'm still have tactical hypersensitivity and some minor auditory & oral sensitivity. I am still visually hypo-sensitive.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 4:30 pm

Interested in that thread.

I find there're similarities with ASD although ASD doesn't necessarily mean SPD, and SPD can read social cues. But has trouble with change too. It looks to stem from different causes though. I don't know if I sum it up ok.

I would land more there. Hypersensitivity sound/touch light/smell and balance.

Strenghtening and structuring laterality such as doing bicycle or skateboarding helped with balance. Lots of alone at home with a minimum of stimuli for the rest. I know that's coping not a true solution. If you have better I'm all ears.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 4:43 pm

Also, I don't try to repress or deny too much sensations or emotions that lead to meltdowns. I try to take the time to sit down and acknowlegde them and ask for 5/10 minutes of break in group work long enough before it becomes uncontrollable. Occasionally verbalize feeling not ok to someone trusted enough. All that helps. If not, try to find a place to isolate the time needed and try not to beat myself up for it or having emotions. Still working on that.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.