Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 4:21 pm

aghogday wrote:
If NOT for Christianity THE patriarchal homophobes will likely burn the homosexuals, over here in Christian 'Redneck' areas IF converted over to Atheists, like the Atheist patriarchal homophobe folks do over in Russia, as they are not afraid of going to hell for killing someone.

Yes, that's an extreme example; however, without the threat of ETERNAL punishment some folks will do unusual things to hurt others..

BS. The suggestion that somehow a belief in a wrathful god prevents the mainstream from committing atrocities I really have to wonder at your cognitive abilities let alone your research ones. Here is a clue, secularism is increasing rapidly yet crime stats are dropping and as to homosexuality when you look at the stats for Europe acceptance correlates well to religious belief. IE those countries with a higher agnostic/atheistic attitude have far more acceptance of homosexuality than the more traditionally religious ones. And as to Good ol rednecks being to afraid of God to go a'lynching :roll:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 8:49 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
aghogday wrote:
If NOT for Christianity THE patriarchal homophobes will likely burn the homosexuals, over here in Christian 'Redneck' areas IF converted over to Atheists, like the Atheist patriarchal homophobe folks do over in Russia, as they are not afraid of going to hell for killing someone.

Yes, that's an extreme example; however, without the threat of ETERNAL punishment some folks will do unusual things to hurt others..

BS. The suggestion that somehow a belief in a wrathful god prevents the mainstream from committing atrocities I really have to wonder at your cognitive abilities let alone your research ones. Here is a clue, secularism is increasing rapidly yet crime stats are dropping and as to homosexuality when you look at the stats for Europe acceptance correlates well to religious belief. IE those countries with a higher agnostic/atheistic attitude have far more acceptance of homosexuality than the more traditionally religious ones. And as to Good ol rednecks being to afraid of God to go a'lynching :roll:

Well, if you read what I stated you might have noted that I stated that it is an extreme example and only applicable to SOME FOLKS. AND YES, IF YOU'VE BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK A FEW TIMES, LIKE I HAVE TO THE TUNE OF CLOSE TO ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE OVER DECADES OF REAL LIFE interaction and not just interwebz land you might have come across folks like this of the REDNECK NATURE TOO.. They are real; it's not just a TV show.

And I was talking about patriarchal land in Russia, not egalitarian European countries.

Those folks ARE BURNING HOMOSEXUALS ALIVE, AND THERE IS EVEN AN EXTREMELY POPULAR VIDEO TO BRING ATTENTION TO THIS GROWING ATROCITY IN SECULAR RUSSIA.

Regardless if religion rules or not, the U.S., overall, is still a patriarchal country.

And not sure what it's like where you live in Australia but over here where I live in the highest assessed patriarchal area of the U.S., IT IS NOT gay friendly, where the church still assesses homosexual behavior, on local radio stations, as demon inspired but never the less, folks around here have the fear of hell fire in 'em. AND there are zero hate crimes against homosexuals, as THAT PART IS NOT ALLOWED IN CHURCH.

IF YOU HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THIS ENVIRONMENT, you cannot possibly understand the full ramifications of it.

It is not something taught in the academic world.

It's common sense stuff dude, not stuff that the scientific method CAN DETERMINE, ALONE.

YOU STILL HAVE MUCH TO LEARN. ;)

Take away the fear of the devil, and it's back to the wild wild west over here.. WHERE I LIVE.. AS long as the populations are large and heterogenous without the kind of social welfare available in the more egalitarian European countries.

And there is science behind that as research shows that religion thrives across the globe where social welfare fails.

That PART is NOT LIKELY to ever change, as long as human beings are walking around with flesh and blood, with emotions and not frigging ZOMBIES.

AND your puny attempts at assessing my cognitive ability are worthless.

Writing has always been my weakness; there are cognitive abilities that I have that you likely cannot imagine.

Like EXPERTISE IN KUNG FU STYLE MARTIAL ARTS, DANCE, AND POWER LIFTING 930 LBS WITH MY LEGS NOW.

IT AIN'T STUFF YOU CAN LEARN IN A BOOK FRIEND, AND I'VE NEVER HAD A LESSON; it's my innate instinctual creation.

AND IT IS real life INTELLIGENCE that truly does get one ahead in life where the flesh and blood hits the REAL HIGHWAYS OF LIFE.

When people in real life CALL YOU SUPERMAN, come back and assess my cognitive abilities in REAL LIFE, ON THE frigging Interwebz.

You don't even have a face here.

Just emotionless words, and facts here and there.

I'm NOT IMPRESSED.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 9:29 pm

If not for Christianity, SOME PEOPLE would have absolutely NOTHING TO SAY.

Not that they have much to say right now ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MaxShock
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2015, 11:00 pm

You do realize that the crusades were because Christians were sick of Muslim tribes killing and attacking them, right? :/

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 11:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, SOME PEOPLE would have absolutely NOTHING TO SAY.

Not that they have much to say right now ...

Nice use of the NEW literary Internet device of CAPS.

I'm impressed..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 7:16 am

MaxShock wrote:
You do realize that the crusades were because Christians were sick of Muslim tribes killing and attacking them, right? :/

Is that your only take on it? Why were they attacking Christians?

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 7:27 pm

Narrator wrote:
MaxShock wrote:
Is that your only take on it? Why were they attacking Christians?
The crusades were mostly about killing people and looting their property in the name of God.
Wikipedia wrote:
Arnaud Amaury was a Cistercian abbot who took a prominent role in the Albigensian Crusade. He is most remembered for allegedly advising a soldier, who was worrying about killing orthodox Catholics along with the heretics during the sack of the Cathar stronghold of Béziers, Caedite eos. "Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius!" ("Kill them. For the Lord knows those that are His own!")
In other words, "Kill them all, and let God sort them out!"

By the way, The Albigensian, or Cathar Crusade (1209–1229), was a 20-year military campaign initiated by Pope Innocent III to eliminate Catharism in Languedoc, in the south of France. Contemporary sources give estimates of the number of dead in just one town of between 15,000 and 20,000 men, women, and children - Cathars and Catholics alike!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 2:26 am

Narrator wrote:
Imagine, in an alternate universe perhaps, a world where Christianity never got off the ground. What would have happened, and where would we be today:

Considering you are asking about a change that started more then 1500 years ago in this hypothetical scenario only very broad generalizations can be made. And there is the risk that it would turn into nothing more then wish full thinking. But lets try.

Quote:
- Socially

Egalitarian thinking would not be a strong force in society or political decision making. This because it is basically nothing more then the secularization of the Christian concept that all men are created equal in the eyes of God. And following the statement of Carl Schmitt that all political ideologies are secularized theologies, certain streams of political thinking might have never come into existence. Liberalism and Marxism for example.

Quote:
- Technologically

Would be nothing more then mere speculation.

Quote:
- Philosophically

History would be seen as cyclical/spherical instead of the linear concept that in inert to Christianity and its secular off shoots. For the rest (neo)Platonism would most likely be a strong force in philosophical thinking (also had a strong influence on early Catholic thinking), instead of Thomism we might have a different school of thought based on the philosophy of Aristotle and instead of Christian Stoicism we would have Pagan Stoicism.

Quote:
The Crusades would not have happened,

Only in the sense that Islam would never have come into existence.

SpaceAgeBushRanger wrote:
I think that if Christianity wasn't invented the Romans would have gone for another religion to make into the State Cult. I hear that the goddess Isis was popular back in the day, with shrines all the way into Britain. They could have gone with Mithras, he was big with soldiers.

Probably not, those Gods might have been incorporated in to the official state Pantheon and their cults become part of the state cult, but they would not replace it. Is possible of course, but I think it is unlikely.

Quote:
Or maybe they'd go full secular,

Highly unlikely. Secularism probably has its root in the split between temporal and spiritual leadership that existed in Catholic Europe. The concept of the two swords and the conflict between the emperors and the popes over who has supreme authority. Lost by both and with growing secularism as the outcome.

Quote:
and we'd see all the old European faiths thriving.

More likely. We could also see the idea that different Gods of the different pantheons might be emanations of more abstract Divine principles.

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, the West would still be run and occupied by its indigenous peoples, with Europeans in the minority.

Or not. Campaigns of conquest happened before Christianity and will happen after its disappearance.

Aspiewordsmith wrote:
Mexico's official language may have still been Nahuatl rather than Spanish as the Mexica Indians would still be the ruling people in Mexico and the Roman Empire may have been trading with the Mexica and Inca Empires.

Presuming the Roman Empire still existed, it could just as well that some ambitious general with his legions that overthrew the Aztec empire with the help of the laters subjects instead of the Spanish Conquistadors.

Quote:
Perhaps the Internet would have been invented in the 12th century and the Industrial Revolution would have started in the 8th century etc.

Speculation.

MaxShock wrote:

More precisely the crusades where first called because the emperor of Byzantine Empire had asked the pope to help to provide military support to launch a counteroffensive against the caliphate.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 2:37 am

Just going on the "quality" of the thoughtlessly vainglorious assertions by those who consider themselves "evolutionarily superior" I suggest we are rapidly heading for a society where philosophy (science) does not exist. Look around you... there are already large sections of society that have been "liberated" from right reason and for whom truth and virtue are merely matters of temporary convenience.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:14 am

Innocent III had delusions of grandeur.....nothing to do with Christian precepts....everything to do with secular human failings.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 11:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Innocent III had delusions of grandeur.....nothing to do with Christian precepts....everything to do with secular human failings.
I assume that you are referring to a popish fellow. Alexander VI is usually the rascal of choice.

Human failings do not make or break truth or virtue.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 12:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, the West would still be run and occupied by its indigenous peoples, with Europeans in the minority.

From the day that european ships could cross the ocean the invading of the americas was unavoidable. Unless a united Europe would decide to isolate itself and let decline take it's toll. (Like China did.)

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, Ireland would still be genuinely Irish, not the current muddle of English, German, Irish, Scots, and Spanish.

With speculation on 2000 years of history, it's hard to say...

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, science would be more advanced, instead of repressed by superstition and church leaders fearful of losing control of the people and their money.

The Church is what preserved science and ancient texts as the Roman Empire collapsed. For long the Church is also what financed the sciences. You don't need monotheism to prevent progress anyway, like the chinesse showed. èthis is contrary to your first point too.

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, slavery, conquest by genocide, and subjugation of women would be all but eliminated, because there would be no holy book to say or imply that these things were alright.

The proponents of such things would have found other arguments; they were all things done way before christianity and still made during the Roman Empire time. It was even considered good and normal.

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, we could have meaningful discussions on any subject without some religious nutter telling us we're all Very Bad People because we don't acknowledge their god.

Peoples still will be certain to be right.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 1:50 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Fnord wrote:

From the day that european ships could cross the ocean the invading of the americas was unavoidable. Unless a united Europe would decide to isolate itself and let decline take it's toll. (Like China did.)

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, Ireland would still be genuinely Irish, not the current muddle of English, German, Irish, Scots, and Spanish.

With speculation on 2000 years of history, it's hard to say...

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, science would be more advanced, instead of repressed by superstition and church leaders fearful of losing control of the people and their money.

The Church is what preserved science and ancient texts as the Roman Empire collapsed. For long the Church is also what financed the sciences. You don't need monotheism to prevent progress anyway, like the chinesse showed. èthis is contrary to your first point too.

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, slavery, conquest by genocide, and subjugation of women would be all but eliminated, because there would be no holy book to say or imply that these things were alright.

The proponents of such things would have found other arguments; they were all things done way before christianity and still made during the Roman Empire time. It was even considered good and normal.

Fnord wrote:
If not for Christianity, we could have meaningful discussions on any subject without some religious nutter telling us we're all Very Bad People because we don't acknowledge their god.

Peoples still will be certain to be right.

Great post, especially that bit in bold.

It’s very doubtful that we would be anymore advanced at all. The western Roman empire would still have fallen and Europe would still have been dominated by barbarians—vandals, goths, etc. And without the Roman Catholic Church, most Roman/Classical “know how” would have been COMPLETELY LOST. Just imagine, the Dark Ages WITHOUT a Renaissance or an Enlightenment because there’s no Church there to preserve the works of Plato, Aristotle, Seneca, Polybius, Archimedes, to be rediscovered.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 11:49 pm

Tollorin wrote:

If you are familiar with the work of Oswald Spengler, then you would know that the later is unlikely.

Quote:

Here we come on the area of speculation. On the one hand, yes lot of these works (in Western Europe) where preserved in monasteries. At the other side of the issue Christian emperors did close the philosophical schools. So without Christianity those might still survive and have received patronage from the new rulers and in that way we could still have something like the Carolingian Renaissance. Also a lot was also persevered in the Byzantine Empire.

However to make a comment on the word progress that is being used by some here. They way they use it (not just here, but even more so in other topics) is fundamentally influenced by secularized forms of Christian thought. This also why I said certain schools of political thought like liberalism and Marxism would never have come in to existence.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 6:04 pm

aghogday wrote:
Fnord wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
Fnord you are an interesting person. For years I assumed you were an atheist, then I discovered you are a Christian! or am I mistaken?
If by 'Christian' you mean holier than you, with the keys to Heaven and Hell dangling from my belt and rod of Wrathful Righteousness with which to beat the devil out of you, then the answer is 'No'.

If instead you mean trying to follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth (called 'Christ') then ... maybe ...

Ameen.

pls define 'Ameen'......i am unfamiliar with it

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 6:09 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Just going on the "quality" of the thoughtlessly vainglorious assertions by those who consider themselves "evolutionarily superior" I suggest we are rapidly heading for a society where philosophy (science) does not exist. Look around you... there are already large sections of society that have been "liberated" from right reason and for whom truth and virtue are merely matters of temporary convenience.

what sections "that have been 'liberated'..." are you referring to....pls name them