Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 6:09 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Just going on the "quality" of the thoughtlessly vainglorious assertions by those who consider themselves "evolutionarily superior" I suggest we are rapidly heading for a society where philosophy (science) does not exist. Look around you... there are already large sections of society that have been "liberated" from right reason and for whom truth and virtue are merely matters of temporary convenience.

what sections "that have been 'liberated'..." are you referring to....pls name them

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 10:21 pm

slave wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Fnord wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
Fnord you are an interesting person. For years I assumed you were an atheist, then I discovered you are a Christian! or am I mistaken?
If by 'Christian' you mean holier than you, with the keys to Heaven and Hell dangling from my belt and rod of Wrathful Righteousness with which to beat the devil out of you, then the answer is 'No'.

If instead you mean trying to follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth (called 'Christ') then ... maybe ...

Ameen.

pls define 'Ameen'......i am unfamiliar with it

'Ameen' is just a form of Amen that means affirmed and it is spelled out with two E's here, as people enunciate 'men' as 'mean' in Muslim countries, per the religious affirmation Amen, of which I have several close friends there, who are very devoted in their religious language and put a lot of emotional lyrical emphasis on the words that are sacred to them like 'AMEEN'.

I could of said 'RIGHT ON BABY' and it would have meant basically the same thing. :)

Using a religious term is topic appropriate to make 'that' affirmation, and I get bored using language the same way all the time, and MOST DEFINITELY DO like to be creative WITH THE RATHER boring English Language, TO ME, as is.

My form of Autism is extreme cognitive empathy, affective empathy, tactile sensitivity, and an extremely abstract mind capable of both making and understanding metaphor, IN CREATIVE WAYS, per Hyperlexic associated Autism.

It's almost opposite from the most common form of Asperger's syndrome, here, informally polled on this forum, associated with symptoms of non-verbal learning disorder, where there is often damage to the right hemisphere of the brain, as science shows, per right hemisphere brain lesions that make visual thinking, non-verbal symbolic thinking, cognitive empathy, nonverbal language, and metaphors for emotion very difficult to understand AND or EXPRESS, fully.

I did not speak until age four and have problems with verbal language through middle age but I am reading at college level early on in school, acing multiple choice question tests with extreme rote memory abilities and almost photographic memory for text; graduating 11 out of a class of 381 in high school, AND finishing three college degrees at one time, while working three part time jobs including Janitor, Stock Clerk at the University Book Store, and Research Associate in Archaeology.

However, I could not present myself coherently in writing or verbal presentation in output, per stuttering and all of that.

I adapted by middle age, and it was the job of 'JOB' to get where I am today, 'write' now.

But never the less, here I am, and I am what I AM and what I am I WiLL BE. :)

THAT IS as long as the moderators accept Neurodiverse Autistic folks like me, here.

The other ones who recently quit have 'problems' with 'my' neurodiversity..

As they did NOT EXPERIENCE AUTISM THE WAY I for one, most definitely do.

They could not understand my metaphorical way of speaking, and yeah it kinda sucks not being
accepted even on the frigging Wrong Planet.

But that ain't the hardest thing I've had to accommodate in life.

Living through the worst pain known to mankind, type two trigeminal neuralgia, and coming out on the other side of that disease that IS medically termed as the 'SUICIDE DISEASE' MAKES EVERYTHING ELSE in life, so-called good or bad, a cake walk FULL OF ICING DRIPPING EVERYWHERE I GO, after five years of that suicide disease, plus at least 18 other medically documented disorders that I also recovered from or went into remission including Sjogren's Syndrome, Dysautonomia, Fibromyalgia, Spinal Stenosis, and Severe degenerative Arthritis in my spine.

AND YES, IF NEED BE I will explain 'those' metaphors too, upon request.

I type around 130 words a minute, as a life long pianist; read 10 to 15 times faster than the average human being per my Hyperlexic form of Autism; so that does most definitely give me an advantage of FULLY RESPONDING TO EVERYTHING HERE, I am interested in QUICKLY, AND READING NOVELS EASILY if that's how other people do their monologues here, too. :)

SO anytime you need clarification or verification of what I say here in words, just shoot, if you don't mind all these 'word bullets' I bring back to the table of this forum. :)

'LIFE IS GOOD'.

THAT'S MY MOTTO, TOO, copyrighted or NOt. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

slave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 2:01 pm

@aghogday

what degrees did you complete(ie majors and minors)?
i wish you had not suffered so much
Be well. :)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 3:55 pm

slave wrote:
@aghogday

what degrees did you complete(ie majors and minors)?
i wish you had not suffered so much
Be well. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

I receive a BS in Health Science, a BA in Social Sciences Interdisciplinary, and a BA in Anthropology, in '83-'84. :)

No more suffering for me now, and precisely the polar opposite experience of life, TG, per bliss almost always, NOW.

THE greaTEST THING of all is i learn how to cure myself through innate instinct and intuition.

That gives me 100% Faith that my recovery is permanent.

IF I have to trust the ways of someone else, even if medically induced, for the recovery I have now, I CAN NOT 'REASONABLY' say that. :)

The power for me is inside, not outside.. alone.. or even above or below or all around alone.. i alone have the ONE key for ME Now..:)

And i can only guess that is how it may work for others, in similar situations, considering 'we' share MOSt of the same DNA...:)

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:27 am

slave wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
Just going on the "quality" of the thoughtlessly vainglorious assertions by those who consider themselves "evolutionarily superior" I suggest we are rapidly heading for a society where philosophy (science) does not exist. Look around you... there are already large sections of society that have been "liberated" from right reason and for whom truth and virtue are merely matters of temporary convenience.

what sections "that have been 'liberated'..." are you referring to....pls name them
Liberated from right reason and any idea that there is reason and virtue detached from brutish self interest.

Any kind of hedonism; political, social, pecuniary, or sensual. Blame first the elite of celebrities before you blame the wretched fools trying to imitate them in clumsy, brutish ways.

Street gangs are as completely liberated from reason and virtue as politics and psychology.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 9:36 am

Heavy metal wouldn't be as interesting, works of fantasy fiction wouldn't have as much to draw from, discussions on theology would be quite different... I'm not a practicing Christian, but I acknowledge that the Judeo-Christian tradition, like many other ancient mythologies, has had a huge influence on art and popular culture, as well as society as a whole. Would society be better off without it? I don't know, a lot of bad things have been done in the name of the faith, but a lot of good has been done as well, and when you analyze the core tenets of the religion, there are some good points to it. I don't practice it though, because I have my own moral compass and my own set of personal beliefs, some of which clash with traditional Christian values.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:04 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Heavy metal wouldn't be as interesting, works of fantasy fiction wouldn't have as much to draw from, discussions on theology would be quite different... I'm not a practicing Christian, but I acknowledge that the Judeo-Christian tradition, like many other ancient mythologies, has had a huge influence on art and popular culture, as well as society as a whole. Would society be better off without it? I don't know, a lot of bad things have been done in the name of the faith, but a lot of good has been done as well, and when you analyze the core tenets of the religion, there are some good points to it. I don't practice it though, because I have my own moral compass and my own set of personal beliefs, some of which clash with traditional Christian values.
A bowl of spaghetti that comes from nowhere and goes nowhere.

Reality is a figment of your imagination, eh?

Christianity always claims that physical reality is a tangible extension of "ultimate" reality. Anyhow, set your "moral compass" to determine what is Good and True then tell us all how you determine what is good and true.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

I don't believe there ever was a "nothing."

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

Quote:
If not for Christianity....

We would probably be centuries ahead in science and technology if it wasn't for the dark ages.
'Faster than light' technology probably, among other things.

On the other hand, was the enlightment a consequence of christianity in some sense? I don't mean based on it, but, rather, to fight it... and therefore we get our current western values.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:44 pm

Oldavid wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Christianity always claims that physical reality is a tangible extension of "ultimate" reality. Anyhow, set your "moral compass" to determine what is Good and True then tell us all how you determine what is good and true.

Eh? What are you trying to get at?

Anyway, I have my own sense of morality, and that is part of the reason why I don't follow someone else's religion. I wouldn't say I have a religion of my own, because I really don't, but following a religion would conflict with my own personal beliefs.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 7:26 pm

Oldavid wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

As science now shows human beings, the healthy balanced ones, are born with the innate instinct and intuition for full fledged emotional contagion of affective empathy, with cognitive empathy coming later depending on how nurturing the environment is.. AKA AS THE GREATEST GIFT FROM MOTHER NATURE TRUE AKA GOD TRUE FOR HUMAN BEING SOCIAL ANIMAL COOPERATIVE SUCCESS AND SURVIVAL...

If one wants healthy ethical children, just find a nurturing wife AND OR HUSBAND.

If not, don't..

Some folks make excellent parents, and some folks do not.

It's the way of the GOD of Mother Nature TRUE and there IS NO big black book that is going to change GOD given Human Nature including the scientific fact now THAT LUST IS A CORE SOURCE OF HUMAN CREATIVITY AND PRODUCTIVITY..

SO IT'S BEST TO GET 'LAID' SOMEHOW OR AT LEAST THINK ABOUT SOMETHING ABOUT THAT OVERALL..

TO CREATE AND PRODUCE.. A BETTER LIFE for humans.

It's just human 101.. big black book or not...

Humans come prepackaged for the propensity of Love..

Grow that garden of Love or not.

That's mostly up to Mothers, NOT BIG BLACK BOOKS, OR A PATRIARCHAL BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION THAT says boys don't cry or have a heart.

THAT IS ONE surest way, to potential prison, or worse.. in life.. broken marriages AND all that stuff of the dead human heart, soul, and spirit...

And meanwhile people are worried about who made who.

That's irrelevant to both reality and NOW PER the only thing that ever exists NOW.. called NOW.

But anyway.. PER WHO MADE WHO..

THAT DESERVES THIS..;)

AND FOR THE REST OF EVERYTHING.. else...

LIKE THE TRUE MODERN PROPHETS.. 'THE BEATLES' SAY..

And the so-called dude 'Jesus'.. PER THAT GOLDEN RULE

THINGY...

'ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE'.

'IT'S EASY'

And sorry.. i'm not feeling any warm and fuzzies yet.. from ya.. pal.. ;)

Perhaps LOVE is the issue..huh..;)

JUST GIVE IT TO SOMEONE.. else.. I HAVE PLENTY.. AND I ALWAYS LIVE IN THE REAL HEAVEN OF NOW..

LIFE IS SO EASY WHEN ONE TRULY LISTENS TO THAT SO-CALLED DUDE NAMED JESUS..

AND ACTS AND DANCES AND OR WALKS THE MESSAGE

INSTEAD OF JUST TALKING THE TALK...

OR CHANGING THE HISTORICAL RECORD OF 'JESUS' PROMOTING THE HUMBLE
YOGI LEANING TEACHER to the frigging SOLDIER KING of the Universe and worshipping the HUMBLE man AS idol of GOD....

OR CAUSING HATE AND DISCONTENT PER THAT METAPHORICAL DEVIL STUFF....

LIKE those hateful dudes yelling stuff at folks at intersections waving that black book that becomes a weapon of hate
instead of the gospel aka good news.. PER UNCONDITIONAL GOLDEN RULE LOVE....

And to be clear I am not YELLING just accentuating important points, as bold can be so offensive..:)

I am as calm as a river of love flowing into the Ocean of Love that IS TRULY GOD.. MANIFEST IN HUMAN BEING.. IN EMOTIONS.. SENSES.. PER CONTACT WITH GOD.. IN SELF.. INSIDE.. OUTSIDE.. ALL AROUND.. above and so BELOW..:)

And the love a person has for others is directly related to the love a person has for their Temple of GOD also known as self all the way in flesh and blood....

People who do not love themselves rarely are capable of GOD's gift of Love..for all others...unconditionally per the GOLDEN RULE...

Try a selfie.. if ya will or like.. it works for me..;)

I love myself.. oh so much.. but I love all others just as much..:) AND I AM ABLE TO FULLY EXPRESS that unconditional love everywhere I go like MAGICK.

That's how GOD works per FULLER HUMAN POTENTIAL WHEN FULLER EMOTIONALLY AND REASONABLY LIVED AS ART AND SCIENCE BALANCED.. YIN AND YANG.. PLUS ALL those other flowered metaphors of making life work best expanding human potential to human miracles manifest come TRUE AS REAL.....AS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.. THE HIGHEST HUMAN EMOTING POWER FOR REAL LIFE ACTION.. IN 'JUST DOING LIFE AS IS BEST FOR NOW'..:)

BUT ANYWAY.. NEVER THE LESS.. SMILES AND LOVE.. AND HAVE A NICE DAY IN NOW FRIEND!..:)

AND smell a flower.. along the way.. if ya will.. if ya can...

YnOT..;) 'FORGET ME NOT'.. OR whatever flower ya can find!

Ah you inspire the Love of 'Jesus' in my heArt.. AHH...! that's how the dark beCOMES LIGHT!.. again! AND GOLDEN RULE LOVE!..RULES THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN NOW!

GOD IS AMAZING NOW.. I DON'T NEED A BOOK TO UNDERSTAND TRUTH!..:)

Join 'US' 'want' ya.. or be 'led' behind.. goD 'allows' that choice as part of HUMAN Relative Free Will...

There is always more than one path... otherwise all of this will be indescribably boring like HELL..;)

'GOD' SOMETIMES.. FOR SOME 'REASON'.. this FEELS like a mount, or something.. and i'm not talking about SEX!..;)

But that's what real Christians do.. they teach.. NOT preach.. and they learn as disciples AKA students of HISTORICAL Jesus NOT FRIGGING FOLLOWERS OR WORSHIPPERS OF A HUMBLE MAN. :)

And YES.. THEY ABSOLUTELY LOVE SEX TOO.. MOST OF 'EM ANYWAY....

CHRISTIANITY IS OUTSTANDING WHEN TAUGHT THE JESUS WAY..:)

PER THE TOPIC AT HAND FULLY DESCRIBED like 'i' came down from a MODERN 'Mountain' or something ONLINE..;)

JUST WALKING IN FOOTSTEPS.. BUT NOT FOLLOWING.. THAT'S ALL....

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
... following a religion would conflict with my own personal beliefs.

That is the position I came to after decades of following religion.

Conflicting knowledge regarding religion is one thing, but a personal conflict of integrity is arguably a stronger reason to reject religion. I agree with some Christian ethics, but disagree with others. When I was a Christian, I always struggled with that and felt guilty. And one of the most destructive things is imposed and invalid guilt.

So, following the thread title....

If not for Christianity, I would not have wasted so much time over the years, trying to appease a contrived god and making choices based on that bias.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:42 am

If not for Christianity we wouldn't have the Westboro Baptist Church or the KKK. If not for Christianity we would not have genocide or homophobia!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:47 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
If not for Christianity we wouldn't have the Westboro Baptist Church or the KKK. If not for Christianity we would not have genocide or homophobia!

But we wouldn't have Slayer or Black Sabbath either. :(

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:52 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

But would we need to have them? ;)

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 9:09 am

Narrator wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

But would we need to have them? ;)

Well, Black Sabbath pretty much invented heavy metal, and Slayer are one of my favorite thrash metal bands EVER. Neither would be the same without the "fire and brimstone" influence from Christianity. Other things that would be neutered without Judeo-Christian/"fire and brimstone" themes include:

- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- Dungeons & Dragons
- DooM
- The Lord of the Rings
- Magic: The Gathering
- pretty much any other western fantasy-themed game/music/work of fiction/etc.

I may not follow or believe in Christianity, but I won't deny that its scriptures contain a lot of neat imagery and iconic themes. Disregarding it would be like disregarding Greek or Roman mythology.