Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 11:35 am

Do you have tics? How do you deal with them?

Currently I am working on my tics where I suddenly say things like "f*** off" or "p*** off" to random people in a loud voice. I don't do it very often, but it does happen a few times a day.

Also when highly agitated I get compulsive agitated talking, which is my most hated tic as I hate talking.

Any advice?

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 5:20 pm

Youngest son has Tourettes. The tics are way different from Autistic stims. He also has an extremely painful neurological condition. Be cause of the pain, he was either the second or the sixth { I have been told both] minor in the state of colorado to receive the pink cannabis card many years ago. It helped with the pain HUGELY. It also helped to almost entirely get rid of the tics. [also anxiety went down] It took a few months for us to notice the difference in his tics because of all of our concentration being on his pain. I would so urge you to try this because he was on so many meds with horrible side effects that made no real difference. Cannabanoils would be great. As far as smokingor vaporizing you want product low in sativa, high in indica. Most of my friends with kids who have either seizures or tics [ from support groups] consider it no less than a miracle.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Feb 2015, 8:13 pm

I had tics when I was on antipsychotics. I just dealt with em as best I could.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2015, 8:49 pm

When I was younger I had a tic where I would flare my nostrils and another one with my eyelids. I just learned to control them with time. I wonder if they were aspergers related...

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2015, 5:21 am

I've been having issues with 'em lately... As far as I can remember, they started about 4 years ago. At that point I would get some kind of thought loop in my head that would result in me saying 'I need about 15 f***ing,' 'just 15 f***ing,' or variations thereof. For some reason it was always 15 and I always needed them, though I'm still not sure what 'they' are.

Around the time I spoke to my psychologist about AS I had started to develop a motor tic in my left hand, a sudden sideways rotation, and the muscles in my right eyelid would periodically 'flutter.' I think I've managed to deal with some of the tension behind this as my eye thankfully doesn't do that anymore, but I've developed some more severe tics in my face as a whole, and the phonic tics have become more pronounced.

These generally happen at work, where I'm cooped up in a small space, or when I'm out in public. Also as I walk out of the room from an important conversation I seem to bank them and release as I walk away.

There's a part of me that's wondering if it's all psychosomatic, but it doesn't feel as such to me. Certainly sometimes I'll tic in response to an intrusive thought, which is a semi-voluntary action to stop the severity of it, but it quite often just happens, particularly after social interaction.

I've yet to see a doctor or my psych because it doesn't feel particularly urgent, just annoying and mildly embarrassing. I've had shaky hands (which I recently learned is termed an 'benign essential tremor,') since I was a child and only recently realised that there ain't much I can do for it, but it isn't harmful in any way. The only downside is crappy handwriting and that my friends always know which controller I'm using when I play Mario Party :lol:

I'm seeing it as another aspect of my being that is becoming apparent as my brain repairs itself from years of alcohol and drug abuse... People do say that your true self comes out in recovery! Should I be concerned?

EDIT: What I mean to ask is, should I prioritise seeing my doctor? At this point I'm not too concerned and will get there in the next few weeks.

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 3:13 am

I'm schizophrenic so I can't take cannabis.

I'm already on antipsychotics for schizophrenia but they don't help my tics.