Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Nichard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2015, 1:40 am

Hello, I'm Nick. I'm high-functioning and apparently attractive, but physical contact makes me very uncomfortable.
I recoil at being touched, and somehow this really offends girls. All I need is some warning before they try to hug me or grab my hand. :/ It makes relationships difficult and my past girlfriends ended up thinking I didn't like them.
Any tips for getting more comfortable with being touched? Anyone with the same problem?

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 3:10 am

I used to hate being touched, or anybody being too close to me. I felt that it was sort of a violation of my personal space. Now it doesn't bother me so much, after I got used to it.

Most women view this as you rejecting them, so it would help if you tell them up front that you aren't too comfortable with others (men or women) touching you, and that it will take you awhile to get used to it. If they are patient and understanding, this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Echolalia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Feb 2015, 4:36 am

Yeah just straight up insert it into the conversation somehow that you've got a thing about people touching you. Most people will understand that as everyone has a 'thing' about something. People use touch as a love body language so unless you explain your reaction upfront they will just think you find them repulsive or something.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 4:39 am

I dont like being touched by strangers either Im like a wild animal and will bite and scratch or even maul em if they try but if its someone I know and trust then Ill let them touch me and Ill be affectionate to that individual! (^_^)

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

lostinlove
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2015, 5:27 am

Yeah I am the same although holding hands is fine with me, but if someone tries to touch me intimately, or stroke me etc then I recoil as though being tickled. Light touch is much worse than a heavy hand. I've tended to get drunk or do drugs before the first time I have sex with someone (which obviously I don't recommend) As I only realised that I have AS about 18 months ago at the age of 33 I never understood what this was about and it used to stress boyfriends out. I can eventually get comfortable with someone and even really enjoy being lightly touched, but then if something is wrong, close to meltdown etc then I can start to freak out at being touched again, which is hard for people to understand. Tbh it's probably why I spent so long with the last boyfriend though it clearly wasn't working in other areas, I had got to the point where intimacy wasn't a problem and it's going to be annoying having to start again with someone else, especially as people don't always understand :-/

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 5:30 am

I don't recoil, but I dont' respond either.

Nichard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2015, 2:03 pm

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I tried telling one girl before, and it kind of worked, but she forgot after awhile and went back to touching me without warning. I don't understand how suddenly grabbing people could be anything but threatening.
I still have this problem with people I've known for years, but a few people know how to approach me.

Nichard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2015, 2:23 pm

Also, I don't make friends with guys because they are too physical. One time in school, two male acquaintances were repeatedly poking my leg with their feet. They wouldn't stop when I told them to, so I stood up, flipped one guy's desk with him in it, and kicked the other one directly in his testicles. The teacher was not in the room.
Does anybody else get defensive?

KayteeKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2015, 2:26 pm

Nichard wrote:
Hello, I'm Nick. I'm high-functioning and apparently attractive, but physical contact makes me very uncomfortable.
I recoil at being touched, and somehow this really offends girls. All I need is some warning before they try to hug me or grab my hand. :/ It makes relationships difficult and my past girlfriends ended up thinking I didn't like them.
Any tips for getting more comfortable with being touched? Anyone with the same problem?

If you don't like being touched, umm, you don't have to let people touch you. This seems like the easiest solution.

If you want to overcome the dislike of being touched, an occupational therapist can help -- theres a walbugr (sp?) brushing protocol that's been known to work wonders.

ajvizz
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2015, 3:37 pm

I wasn't a fan of being touched either until after I had a couple of massages. After a while your mind realizes that being touched isn't bad and can actually be relaxing.

And you should tell these girl before you date them that you don't like being touched. If they lose interest, they weren't that interested in you anyway. My girlfriend understands my Aspegers and works with it. In appreciation, I give her all the love I can give :)

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 11:31 pm

ajvizz wrote:
I wasn't a fan of being touched either until after I had a couple of massages. After a while your mind realizes that being touched isn't bad and can actually be relaxing.

And you should tell these girl before you date them that you don't like being touched. If they lose interest, they weren't that interested in you anyway. My girlfriend understands my Aspegers and works with it. In appreciation, I give her all the love I can give :)

Getting a massage isn't a bad idea.

Mastercraft
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2015, 12:22 am

Actually, its a little odd with me, if I may be so bold as to say that. Frankly, I love sexual intercourse. I love touching other people, and in the heat of the moment, an embrace is tolerable. I also enjoy giving massages, and have found that my back pains seem to resonate with others, as I intuitively know exactly where to push to make them melt into so much groaning jelly.

However, even though my back often aches so bad I lose sleep over it, whenever someone touches my back, whether in a hug, a pat on the back, or a massage, I feel anything from severe discomfort to intense fear. My girlfriend, even though I tell her time and time again not to, has a fascination with pinching me and placing her cold hands on my chest and legs, and then proceeds to apologize and attempt to hug me, seemingly ignorant of the issue at hand.

(Yes, I realize that she's not the best, but that's my issue to deal with, so please don't say anything, okay?)

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 8:40 pm

the only way i'm ok with touching others...is if i instigate it. don't approach me, let me approach you.
and even then...i prefer hi-fives over hugs/anything else. the only person i hug and kiss is my Mum...and my dog. (and my grammy, but she hasn't been with us for years now)

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

CoffinCrawler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2015, 10:18 pm

I used to hate being touched by friends, but now I only hate it when it comes out of nowhere. For instance if a friend came up from behind me and tried to touch my shoulder or tried to hug me from behind, I'd tense up instantly. But if the friend was standing in front of me and touched/hugged me, then I'd be OK with it.

I don't like it at all when strangers try to touch me though.

Adam55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2015, 1:45 pm

Nichard wrote:

yea im the same way i don't like anyone touching me at all, the only advice i can think of is just tell them you don't like it and you need a warning before they do anything.