Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What is your best guess as to the primary purpose of gamer gate.
Poll ended at 11 Apr 2015, 9:50 pm
The purpose of gamer gate was to shine a spotlight on certain aspects of video game journalism corruption, with an aim to address those problems. 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Gamergate was a fake controversy designed to manufacture gamer identity in such a way as to link it with certain ideologies. 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Gamergate was a false flag harassment campaign designed to raise the public profile of its apparent victims for purposes financial gain. 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Gamergate was a cynical controversy designed to promote blogs. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Gamergate was an excuse to attack women. 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
Gamergate was an excuse to attack feminists. 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Gamergate was an excuse to troll. 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Gamergate was part of a wider campaign aimed at intimidating new media into not challenging certain narratives. 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Something else. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 46

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 9:50 pm

What was GamerGate? I don't now. Here are some guesses. What do you think?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 10:16 pm

It was really more of a clusterf**k taken advantage of by various people to score cheap points against their ideological opponents than any of the given options.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:03 am

I'm with Dox47 on this.

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2015, 11:52 pm

to hold people in journalism accountable for what they write, if you are going to tell people how they should spend their money what you say has value the only reason why feminism was brought into the discussion was basically a giant fallacious "no u" appeal to hyprcrisy. "no ur just a misogynist, I can be as biased as I like when I tell you how you spend your hard earned money on my friends games" not much else to input people in power for the current status quo run a very powerful narrative. a very emotional narrative and they feel like they are the counter culture, when they are not. and its all to defend nepotism, and cronyism... its pathetic that these people call themselves progressives. gamer gate are the counter culture standing up against the narratives that actually keep this toxicity churning in gaming and lines the pockets of immoral and blatantly dishonest nihilist cretins.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 12:21 am

My deviant art profile

MisterXenos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2015, 2:53 am

Dox pretty much nailed this one on the head. While no doubt there were figures like TotalBiscuit that genuinely cared about gaming journalism, the movement was thoroughly hijacked by misogynists and feminists as a chance to tear into each other. That's more or less my opinion on it.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 2:56 am

thomas81 wrote:

Love it. :) I'm going to type this and then 'unfollow topic' to avoid yet another anti-feminism thread filled with the usual suspects. I'd give my eyeteeth for an ignore feature. :roll:

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 3:04 am

MisterXenos wrote:
Dox pretty much nailed this one on the head. While no doubt there were figures like TotalBiscuit that genuinely cared about gaming journalism, the movement was thoroughly hijacked by misogynists and feminists as a chance to tear into each other. That's more or less my opinion on it.

its not equal in that since, feminism has nothing to do with it they are only defending their clique so they can be disregarded. the conversation started with calling people out on their immoral or unethical behavior when they tell people how they should spend their money, then the journalists used their power and connections to shout "No ur a misogynist." and framed very emotional narratives using their power. the first half was true and valid criticism , the second was a pathetic deflection of criticism they are not equal.this is a fallacy called Tu quoque.

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 3:05 am

ominous wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Love it. :) I'm going to type this and then 'unfollow topic' to avoid yet another anti-feminism thread filled with the usual suspects. I'd give my eyeteeth for an ignore feature. :roll:

"wah actually talking about the truth actually takes effort, being part of the cool kids club 'feminism' takes none"

if you don't want to take the effort to actually communicate something of value that isn't petty, then you shouldn't say anything at all.

actually even worse gamer gate has nothing to do with feminism the people who bring it up are the people who want to use it and women as a shield to attack people who call them out on their immoral actions. so the tone here is just snide dishonest BS like every other person in your cool kids club.

MisterXenos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2015, 3:19 am

AlistairM wrote:
its not equal in that since, feminism has nothing to do with it they are only defending their clique so they can be disregarded. the conversation started with calling people out on their immoral or unethical behavior when they tell people how they should spend their money, then the journalists used their power and connections to shout "No ur a misogynist." and framed very emotional narratives using their power. the first half was true and valid criticism , the second was a pathetic deflection of criticism they are not equal.this is a fallacy called Tu quoque.

Without a doubt the misogynists fired the first shots, but the opposing side did a whole lot of escalating as well. Doxxing all over the place on both sides, so much vitriol being levied at so-called "nerds" and "feminazis". I'm thoroughly unimpressed with both sides, frankly speaking, although the misogynists are clearly the naughtier ones in both morality and behavior. That said, they don't have to be equally naughty for one to criticize the behavior of both.

I swear, the next person I hear talk about how "jocks aren't nearly as bad as gross nerds" I'm gonna roll up the entire Steubenville court transcipt and smack them upside the head with it.

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 3:27 am

MisterXenos wrote:
AlistairM wrote:

Without a doubt the misogynists fired the first shots, but the opposing side did a whole lot of escalating as well. Doxxing all over the place on both sides, so much vitriol being levied at so-called "nerds" and "feminazis". I'm thoroughly unimpressed with both sides, frankly speaking, although the misogynists are clearly the naughtier ones in both morality and behavior. That said, they don't have to be equally naughty for one to criticize the behavior of both.

literally no comment is needed here you are showing your biass there, even misogynists exist so f*****g what? they aren't telling me how to spend my money, they aren't journalists, and neither are the women or feminists you talk about they are not journalists I don't care about them, and neither doesn't anyone in gamer gate ideally.

this fired first shots means nothing, literally there is nothing of value in anything you wrote there you just parrot the same s**t you spouted in the first, the same dishonest BS.

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 3:31 am

"wah those evil straw misogynistic pig dogs are just out there trying to take away womens rights by calling out journalists who are unethical with how they tell people to spend THEIR f*****g MONEY." :lol:

MisterXenos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2015, 3:34 am

I gotta admit I'm a bit lost now. You don't care about misogynists, and you don't care about feminists...that's pretty much 90% (if not more) of GamerGate participants gone. That's what it ultimately turned into: A slugging match between misogynists and feminists.

To be honest, "We don't need feminists to shoehorn feminist ideology into all video games" would be a valid stance. I do think we should have games with strong female leads and games that would appeal to female gamers, but I don't necessarily think that means we need to stop making games like Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball for whatever people might enjoy those types of games either, as I'm skeptical of the idea that such games lead to sexist or misogynistic behaviors in those that play them.

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 3:41 am

MisterXenos wrote:
I gotta admit I'm a bit lost now. You don't care about misogynists, and you don't care about feminists...that's pretty much 90% (if not more) of GamerGate participants gone. That's what it ultimately turned into: A slugging match between misogynists and feminists.

To be honest, "We don't need feminists to shoehorn feminist ideology into all video games" would be a valid stance. I do think we should have games with strong female leads and games that would appeal to female gamers, but I don't necessarily think that means we need to stop making games like Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball for whatever people might enjoy those types of games either, as I'm skeptical of the idea that such games lead to sexist or misogynistic behaviors in those that play them.

actually you are willfully ignorant or blatantly dishonest about reality here so no you perfectly understand what I am talking about, there is not just feminists and misogynists. and Yes these straw misgnystis don't mean anything. they are not real they are a part of the narrative the antigamers spout "oh noo the boogy man is coming for womens rights better fight them" you can repeat this infinately you will get no where. the same thing journalists screaming "no ur a misogynist" and having their friends in the cool kids club of "feminism" back them on it and use women around the world as a shield for their criticism is dishonest and disgusting. there is no way you can make that acceptable or equal.

then you once again are off topic and dishonest willfully or not its happening. should the people in games journalism be accountable for how they tell me to spend my money or not?

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 3:44 am

"You don't care about misogynists, and you don't care about feminists"

neither of those tell me how to spend my money, neither use journalism to promote their friends or suck money and resources from a hobby I enjoy while screwing me over as the end customer. so yes they are completely irrelevant to the discussion.

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 3:45 am

"That's what it ultimately turned into: A slugging match between misogynists and feminists."

Because it isn't completely dishonest to say the only two things a human can be is a woman hating mra boogyman or a feminist?