Page 6 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 2:45 am

Then again, if you think about the objective, which I assume is combating militancy, that can be achieved through medical means instead of military means. Mass lobotomisation of some form could avoid the need for bloodshed entirely. In fact, this and other techniques of soft coercion could also be used domestically to more harmoniously enable our transition into a slave economy. I feel that modifying the hardware of the mind is superior to utilising drones and other means. Shock tactics will only go so far.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:47 am

Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
As for the Minigun, rotary cannons have been standard features on combat aircraft for decades. Any machine gun is going to produce a lot of recoil so the gun would be housed in a self-contained pod and utilize recoil adapters(kinda like the A-10 warthog has for the tremendous recoil produced by its GAU-8 Avenger cannon). Machine guns in war are used for 2 main purposes: Suppressive fire AND ambush. The problem with the metal storm gun is that is not easy to reload; unlike a Gatling gun.

Still doesn't answer why you think a drone needs a machine gun, I mean I'm trying to brainstorm a way to make drones more discriminating and able to engage individuals, where as machineguns aren't really ideal for that usage. I actually think that an automated bolt action rifle cycled electromagnetically and aimed via stabilized laser could achieve a very similar effect for much less weight, without the ammunition requirements of an automatic, and much more accurately, I just don't see the point if a better solution is available for the problem.

Even if a machinegun was an appropriate armament, why a minigun or other rotary cannon? They were originally designed for dogfights where pilots only had a fraction of a second to hit opposing aircraft and 100 bullets per second made sense, then scaled down for fire suppression during Vietnam, but really the high rate of fire isn't necessary for this sort of use, if anything it's a hindrance.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:50 am

Apparently I'm not the only one having these kinds of ideas...

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/white-house-drone/

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 5:52 am

I don't know why the US government is trying to keep it a secret. It's fairly obvious to anyone who thinks about it, censorship is useless. I've often thought about how easy it would be to assassinate someone with a microdrone equipped with a hypodermic needle, no bigger than a large insect. A sharp sting, then the target is on the ground dying. I could probably build such a device for a few hundred dollars in parts - maybe ricin for the toxin? Bonus points if the drone is automated and self-destructs, so the attack can't be traced back.

Another thought I've had is a drone designed to sycthe through crowds, causing mass terror. Maybe another drone (explosive?) could get close enough to disable it. Provided, of course, that people have such drones to hand.

Making drones illegal won't do anything to help, unless you make servomotors and cameras illegal as well. Drones are here to stay, what we need now are anti-drone defence systems.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2015, 4:03 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
As for the Minigun, rotary cannons have been standard features on combat aircraft for decades. Any machine gun is going to produce a lot of recoil so the gun would be housed in a self-contained pod and utilize recoil adapters(kinda like the A-10 warthog has for the tremendous recoil produced by its GAU-8 Avenger cannon). Machine guns in war are used for 2 main purposes: Suppressive fire AND ambush. The problem with the metal storm gun is that is not easy to reload; unlike a Gatling gun.

Still doesn't answer why you think a drone needs a machine gun, I mean I'm trying to brainstorm a way to make drones more discriminating and able to engage individuals, where as machineguns aren't really ideal for that usage. I actually think that an automated bolt action rifle cycled electromagnetically and aimed via stabilized laser could achieve a very similar effect for much less weight, without the ammunition requirements of an automatic, and much more accurately, I just don't see the point if a better solution is available for the problem.

Even if a machinegun was an appropriate armament, why a minigun or other rotary cannon? They were originally designed for dogfights where pilots only had a fraction of a second to hit opposing aircraft and 100 bullets per second made sense, then scaled down for fire suppression during Vietnam, but really the high rate of fire isn't necessary for this sort of use, if anything it's a hindrance.

The higher the rate of fire, the more bullets hit the target per second. Ergo, the there is a greater sustained force on the target and that means greater cumulative damage. That being said, to answer you question as to why a combat attack drone needs a machine gun, for 2 reasons: Ambushing and killing multiple enemy targets(including those that might be inside an armored vehicle) and suppressive fire if the drone is spotted on the ground by enemy combatants who attempt to shoot it down with rockets, artillery, or machine gun fire.

That being said, a Coil Gun, as opposed to a rail gun, can propel bullets to greater velocities than a conventional gun and without the recoil. Greater bullet velocity means greater range and less drifting without the need for any sort of onboard guidance....And more importantly the force of impact will be greater and thus they have better penetrating power.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 9:26 pm

Nebogipfel wrote:
Then again, if you think about the objective, which I assume is combating militancy, that can be achieved through medical means instead of military means. Mass lobotomisation of some form could avoid the need for bloodshed entirely. In fact, this and other techniques of soft coercion could also be used domestically to more harmoniously enable our transition into a slave economy. I feel that modifying the hardware of the mind is superior to utilising drones and other means. Shock tactics will only go so far.

I'd prefer a chip that administers a shock when clumsy satire is attempted, but your idea's also good.