Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2015, 9:25 am

The answer to this question for me is, yes. But what do you guys think?

Sadly, as I expected, a thread I had posted similar to this one has been removed.

I guess Imma have to tremendously tone down my true, raw feelings regarding subjects such as these to avoid risks of infractions to being banned.

Anyways, I personally think its wrong that I cannot express such concerns without backlash.

It seems people are so set in their ways, they don't even want to consider the small possibility that eating other life forms is not a moral way of life, imo.

But what do you guys think? Are there any animal lovers on here who might even struggle with this contemplation?

Please comment. Thanks.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:44 am

God has ordained that animals are to be eaten.

Quote:
Peter’s Vision (Acts 9:9-16)

The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hourb to pray. And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him: "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." But Peter said, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." And the voice came to him again a second time, "What God has made clean, do not call common." This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven.
Do not defy the Word of the Lord.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:50 am

I actually explored this for a while when I was younger. I was a vegetarian for many years and I was vegan for a little over a year- but the vegan was much more difficult because in my case it was very difficult for me to balance out what I needed from food.
If i was healthy now [general physical health] and had generally enough resources financially and such, a vegan lifestyle might be easier.

For me, I don't think it is necessary though. And the cost- particularly right now- is not possible. Also, the energy to get the things I need out of my diet makes it unachievable.

I do get some of the the ideas and concepts to some extent behind vegetarian and vegan diets, however. I just don't at this point share them. I do think we need to treat animals humanely in terms of how they live their lives. They deserve respect, they deserve not to be abused. They deserve room to breathe, they deserve to not be hurt and when we ultimately take their lives they deserve for it to be quick and as painless as possible.

I understand that even all that may not fall under the concept of "humane treatment" for other people. For me, I understand that biologically human beings are omnivores. I do think that most people eat too much meat often, though. I think that we rely on too much meat too frequently in our diet, that the main stream meat industry too often encompasses none of the humane kind of treatment that I described, and that a lot of people simply don't care about that.

I also know that it's a much more complex situation than merely choosing one thing or another. Unfourtunately economics plays a part. What country you are in and where in that country you reside can make a difference.

There are many times that I can get meat for way cheaper than vegetables. It can store for longer, and it can be bought in bulk. I can buy chicken soup in a can for example, or frozen meat and store it. It is a bit more difficult to do that with vegetables and get the same nutrients the same way.

It's not that I don't understand or value the perspective of those who think eating animals is wrong, I just don't agree and for me, it's not really even something that is possible even if it was something I wanted to do. For many people it isn't possible because of so many factors they have little control over.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:15 am

Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man; but that which comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man. Matthew 15:11

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:22 am

I totally agree with you. Besides, it seems that too many humans forget that, our species also belong to the animal kingdom; humans are also animals. So, this by itself answer the question. It is also morally wrong to inflict pain to someone else who has done nothing bad to yourself. Because of non-humans not communicating the way we do, in a way, it is like if they did not have a "voice". So, they are much more vulnerable, they cannot truly defend themselves. Their abuse goes unheard, and not everybody is willing to do something about it.

For a very long time they have been treated as inferior, just because they are not humans. Non-humans deserve to have their own lives too, they came into these world too. Humans behave as if they were the rulers of this world, and drive many species to extinction because of their own greed....There are many more things which could be commented regarding these kind of things. The point is, just because they are not humans does not make them inferior nor less of a being.

I personally sympathize with their pain, as I know how bad it is like. The non-humans I have interacted with through my existence, have treated me much better than the fellow humans....Not just that, they also understood me and accepted me the way I am.

I want to add too, that I read once something like you can get an idea of someone´s character depending of their treatment with animals (non-humans). I liked that. If someone is willing to treat you with a minimum of respect, and take their time to understand you, that would be a great individual, indeed. To me, they are and always be my friends even if I do not get to see them.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:50 am

I don't think its wrong because we really need it for our nutrition, fact is if I go on one day without eating something like meat or chicken I would start feeling extra dizzy and tired, even eating it gives a very nutritious feeling

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm

jwfess
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2015, 12:31 pm

Sherry221B wrote:
I totally agree with you. Besides, it seems that too many humans forget that, our species also belong to the animal kingdom; humans are also animals. So, this by itself answer the question. It is also morally wrong to inflict pain to someone else who has done nothing bad to yourself. Because of non-humans not communicating the way we do, in a way, it is like if they did not have a "voice". So, they are much more vulnerable, they cannot truly defend themselves. Their abuse goes unheard, and not everybody is willing to do something about it.

Humans, animals, and plants are all living things. So if you eat plants you are just as much a killer as a meat-eater.

Sherry221B wrote:
For a very long time they have been treated as inferior, just because they are not humans. Non-humans deserve to have their own lives too, they came into these world too. Humans behave as if they were the rulers of this world, and drive many species to extinction because of their own greed....There are many more things which could be commented regarding these kind of things. The point is, just because they are not humans does not make them inferior nor less of a being.

Humans are the rulers of the world, that's why we behave like that. We have evolved to become the top of the food chain.

Sherry221B wrote:
I personally sympathize with their pain, as I know how bad it is like. The non-humans I have interacted with through my existence, have treated me much better than the fellow humans....Not just that, they also understood me and accepted me the way I am.

Animals have no concept of acceptance. They have pitifully weak and small brains. They are too dumb to come close to understanding you, even though people do occasionally assume that animals have the capacity for human thought and emotion.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 12:38 pm

There are valid reasons for eating less or no meat. But for claiming the moral high-grounds, no thanks !

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 5:47 pm

a) God Himself ordained the eating of animals.
b) God Himself is the source of all morality.
: : The eating of animals is a moral act.

QED!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 6:16 pm

Why is everyone quoting a religious position on this?

They question wasn't what religions think on this, the question is what you the reader thinks.

To answer you question, no. But food processing, waste and standards matter.

That is why I'm in favour for example the hunting of deer for food where there are plentiful. This mean that you are closer to the source of the food, they have had a good life better than most livestock. It also should be more economical as you are cutting out the middle man.

Deer in the UK, were culled at 30%, they need to be culled at 50% on year as they are that good a breeding.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 6:22 pm

No more or less wrong than animals eating other animals.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 6:31 pm

I don't think it is wrong to eat animals, but I do think it is wrong to make them suffer before being killed.
I would like to see more humane treatment of food animals and also the exploration of meat produced artificially - I imagine this would be cheaper to produce.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 6:58 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Why is everyone quoting a religious position on this?
Not everyone is quoting a religious position; and those of us who are, do so from the knowledge that the OP fancies herself a religious person - specifically, a Christian. Ergo, citing religious principles and relevant source material is apropos to both the context and the metacontext of the OP's question.

Also, by defining morality as originating from the Christian God, it becomes implicit that if a Christian declares the eating of animals to be an immoral act, then that Christian is stating a claim that is contrary to the Will of the Christian God.

Ethics, however, are another matter. I'm of the opinions that: (1) Animal flesh and muscle are very tasty when properly prepared, and (2) Animals should be humanely raised and slaughtered for human consumption. This last opinion relates to the concepts of 'Halal' and 'Kosher' in the Muslim and Jewish religions, respectively, where an animal must be killed as quickly and cleanly as possible so as not to allow the animal to suffer.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm

OP wrote:
Is Eating Animals Wrong???

No. Emotional outbursts have absolutely no sway with me.

Quote:
Are there any animal lovers on here who might even struggle with this contemplation?

I love animals, and I have no struggle. There is no conflict.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:04 pm

Jesus ate meat, I can eat meat too then! :D