Page 5 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 7:15 pm

trollcatman wrote:
sly279 wrote:
if you can afford to eat non meat and animal products and have the ability to all the good for you. just don't judge those who can't :(

But isn't meat usually much more expensive than other foods? I think people would actually save money by going vegetarian or half-vegetarian.

it is but all food is, meat is far cheaper then organic veggies, chicken is cheapist, but low cost beef has gone up but the better stuff hasn't so its 4 for 85% or 5 for 97% use to be 2.50 for 85%, mind you this is for a pound. and all this is "fresh"

I usually buy tv dinners for cost savings. really all food is going up. the health food/vegan store prices are super high and most their stuff goes bad after 2 days or less.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 7:57 pm

I'm not sure I understand the % things. Edit: I googled it and I see it means the amount of meat in the product, I understand it now.
There are also some fairly cheap vegetables that will keep long, I have cans and pots of beans, red cabbage and pea soup here, all of those are not expensive and fairly healthy too. And I have a pack of sauerkraut here too, that will probably never go bad. All those things are also really easy to prepare, I don't like cooking much.
Maybe it's different in the Netherlands, but I find vegetables to be really cheap here, and meat really expensive.

tourettebassist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2015, 8:35 pm

Humans are hunter-gatherers.............Myself ? For over 45 years I have followed George Oshawa's Macrobiotic diet. In that, everything boils down to a balance of yin and yang. so one eats what one needs to maintain that balance. It varies with the season too. Animal food is not necessary, but ALL foods are "allowed". Kinda outdated, but it has served me well since I was a 20+yr. hippie So, I'll have some animal food weeekly, but I also go for a lot of the organic stuff at the local Amish market. They have daily fresh fish from up in Tampa that I eat a lot. Good yang winter food.

Artificius
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2015, 10:41 pm

Eating animals isn't wrong in and of itself, but should there come a time when meat that traditionally would have been part of an animal to start with can otherwise and easily be obtained, such as mass-produced in-vitro or vat-grown meat, that may become a more ethically dubious position. Most of the ethical problems associated with eating meat don't come from eating animal tissue, they come from eating what that tissue was once part of. Muscle tissue (probably) does not feel pain, clusters of nerves and the brains/minds they connect to do. So if they manage to scale-up the process for culturing meat in-vitro, I could no longer claim that there were no great and easy alternatives to my hunger for animal meat, and I'd happily make the shift, even if the taste was only half as good to start.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 12:52 am

trollcatman wrote:
sly279 wrote:
if you can afford to eat non meat and animal products and have the ability to all the good for you. just don't judge those who can't :(

But isn't meat usually much more expensive than other foods? I think people would actually save money by going vegetarian or half-vegetarian.

You'd think so right?
I don't know about anywhere else in the country or any specific stores anyone else shops at. I live in Boston and I pick my stores by their clearance/markdown system because right now I am on foodstamps [don't even start on me with that] and I am disabled to the point I have no way to even make a small amount of income other than my disability benefits. So I have to be pretty particular about what I buy, when, and how I balance it all out.

Meat is almost always marked down in stores- pretty much everyday there is a markdown time in the meat section. This can be anywhere from 25-60%. Guess when I buy meat?
Fresh vegetables will get marked down, but it is not as often and if they are, you need to use them IMMEDIATELY. So you can't buy them in bulk and store them. Freezing vegetables often destroys them. You can buy markdown meat and freeze it for pretty long. If you buy frozen veggies, it's still hard to buy in bulk and get value and they also tend to freezer burn pretty often. Veggies and produce in general is difficult to freeze because the cell walls break down and they often get mushy and gross.

So you end up with buying fresh veggies or produce, which you can't really buy in bulk as a single person because you can't store them for that long now can you eat that many to make the value.
You buy them in cans to supplement- but the ones that are in water are often less veggies for the same price and the ones that are not in plain water are a lot of sodium. Also, it's super unhealthy to only eat canned vegetables. People who have limited budgets to this extent ALSO tend to not have super great health so this just leads them further into the hole.

There are also frequently other kinds of discounts and specials for meat, poultry, fish, pork that you never see the equivalent savings of in produce. Another example being the ability to buy "ends" at the deli- when the workers at the deli run down the large piece of meat they are slicing, some stores will sell you the end piece for a very deep discount.

So, if you are buying at face price, depends.
If you are shopping like your life depends on it, then meat, etc is way cheaper- at least in the Boston area. And that's all i can speak for right now.
---
*clapclapclapclap*
...and that's how you get to llama school!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 1:14 am

localish store here makes pre seasoned meat to sell, well often then not it ends up in their 3 for the price of 1 section, so steak, chicken(mostly chicken). the stuff does tend to be over seasoned, but one can wash it off cut it up freeze and make meals. normally like 6-9 per package, but now its 3 for package which contains 2 chicken breasts.

ConcreteDinosaur
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2015, 2:13 pm

ominous wrote:
Apparently 'veganpet' is the vegan pet food that has taurine for cats, etc. I think forcing a carnivorous animal to be vegan is wholly bizarre, but I guess they put a lot of work into making sure it has complete nutrition for cats. I suppose a cat being forced to eat a vegan diet that is complete nutrition is better than a cat being euthanised because nobody will look after it.

I agree, beats euthanasia, but even still, a case where owns own personal beliefs, are harmful to others.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 2:17 am

ominous wrote:
Apparently 'veganpet' is the vegan pet food that has taurine for cats, etc. I think forcing a carnivorous animal to be vegan is wholly bizarre, but I guess they put a lot of work into making sure it has complete nutrition for cats. I suppose a cat being forced to eat a vegan diet that is complete nutrition is better than a cat being euthanised because nobody will look after it.

Actually, euthanasia would be better, because then the cat wouldn't be forced to suffer and eat an unnatural, vegan diet. Cats. Are. Carnivores.

AlistairM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 2:28 am

it is. but I do it every day. a lot of things can be argued to be immoral that people do every day and gloat about or are proud of. humans are not special or do not have more value because of their intelligence, we have just as much value as any other animal that feels pain that has a self. however someone can only defend itself if it can utter the words "stop" in our culture if something can not speak to defend for itself humanity doesn't give a s**t about its feelings its pain only the value it can produce from it as if it were an object. I don't think veganism will catch on, even me I accept eating meat is wrong I accept farming sentient life is wrong, but I will continue to eat meat, and dairy, and all the food I enjoy because I simply don't care. I value my pleasure more than the suffering, safety or quality of life the animals lose for me to experience that pleasure, and seeing as the general population never sees the suffering the animals experience or can hear them articulate the suffering most won't care either. people just don't care about what can't communicate on our level because they think the intelligence we have is some kind of sign of authority or holy symbol...so much identity is put into this when humanity has the same value as every other species nothing but the experiences it has negative or positive. there is no other form of value or truth in the universe beyond the experience, and this scares humans knowing something like this. so they think " I am the best I will take what I want from this reality and do as I please be fruitful and multiple the dna, the intelligence, my god wills it so." so I'm not sure what can really be done with people who think like this.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 5:35 am

Since people give two answers to this question, then you can say it's up to the individual.

Me, no.

Cool if you say yes, but don't be a hypocrite about it, and don't force your choice on me.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 7:31 pm

Nope, as long as its not some endangered species and nothing is wasted there is nothing wrong with that, we ourselves are animals and we eat other animals and plants. Eating animals is awesome!! !! *nom nom nom*

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2015, 8:12 pm

I'm nearly carnivorous and I'm healthy. To answer your question OP: no I don't think it's wrong to eat meat to me ethics don't come to it, it simply is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:40 pm

BritAspie wrote:
... To answer your question OP ...
The OP is no longer a member of this website.