Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:50 am

The US government census projected that the European White American population will be a minority in 2042. Western culture is declining by demographic Numbers.

Immigrants bring benefits for American culture, but a lot of bad things are also going on in the US with the environment and employment factors. Then, the cultural demographic issues I talked about above.

America can no longer sustain itself as long as demographic trends are changing and if the status quo of immigration marches on with it's large numbers.

And nobody should deserve to lose an election just because he/she doesn't immediately cater to a changing demographic.

Thank you.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:52 am

"I'm Upset About Mass Immigration In The US"
Of course you are.

K_Kelly wrote:
And nobody should deserve to lose an election just because he/she doesn't immediately cater to a changing demographic.

mmm. I can tell you are upset about that common occurrence. That's what happens in elections, though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:59 am

There is this crazy notion that its the voters who are supposed to pick the politicians rather than the other way around.

But there have been attempts to reverse that idea: politicians picking the voters. You know; through Gerrymandering, and literacy tests, etc.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 11:41 am

Can you say what specific cultural change bothers you?

What is it that presumably a Republican does that won't get done with the demographic changes ?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 12:32 pm

What exactly are you worried about?

I live in a very poor/working class, very brown neighborhood. Most of my neighbors are Latino and Marshallese. I’d say it breaks down 20% white (mostly older) 70% Hispanic (mostly first generation immigrants and young families), and 5% Marshal Islanders (also first gen, young families). I live on a corner. One of my neighbors is an old white dude. We get along great. Since my legs stopped working he mows my lawn and he and his sons do most of my other yard work. In exchange, I let his son park in my drive. BOTH of his sons are 30s-40s and living back home… One was on parole. He recently went BACK TO PRISON after getting high on crank and attacking his brother.

Another neighbor was a white single mom with a teenage son. The son always had a bunch of kids hanging out in his yard. One night, I was walking my dog when they had a big fight in the kids yard. I called the cops… The next month, they were evicted. I’m not sure why.

All my other neighbors are brown, and a less “exciting” than my white neighbors… I most of them, are nuclear families. On the weekend, I see dads playing with their kids or teaching them to ride bikes. During the week, I see moms walking their kids to school, or walking the younger ones to the market as they go shopping. Any afternoon, if the weather is nice, I see whole families at the local park. The kids (who all speak English) play, while the adults sit around picnic tables, eat supper and watch them. It’s REALLY NICE. I love my neighborhood.

As a whole, my town is about 90% white and 10% Hispanic. However, you might think there are many more Hispanics because of all the Hispanic businesses in town. We have Taquerias (taco shops), Panaderias (Latino bakeries), and Super Mercados all over. But that's just because the Hispanics here are VERY ENTERPRISING and a disproportionate number of them are small businessmen.

In short, my immigrant neighbors are EVERYTHING the American political right SAYS they like…almost. My immigrant neighbors are law abiding and pro-family, and they’re hard working and entrepreneurial.

The only thing they aren’t is white.

GET OVER IT

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 1:34 pm

I do think "white Americans" have to fear, as well as black, and Hispanic Americans.

-We are importing tons of low cost H1B workers from India. We have seen recently in California where 400+ IT workers were left go from South California Edison and replaced with H1Bs.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/28 ... ments.html

-Asian Americans are dominating in academics, and consequently in income. As a group they are the highest earning, according to Pew Research. Where I work Asians comprise about ~40% of the workers, and 15 out of 16 managerial positions in my work area. They comprise 40-60% of most big tech companies. And they only make up 5% of the national population! Imagine where we will be in 100 years. You will have companies with no blacks, no Hispanics, a few whites, and all Asians. Also, according to Pew, they are the fastest growing demographic.

However, Republicans generally love this. They love seeing businesses save money.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 3:02 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
The US government census projected that the European White American population will be a minority in 2042. Western culture is declining by demographic Numbers.

So? white people of European decent are already a minority as far as the entire world is concerned, at least I think. I am not really upset about immigration, our popular culture sucks anyways....though plenty of immigrant younger people actually do attempt to mold themselves after it. Also I live in Colorado....lots of immigrant population here, so kind of used to it, If I went somewhere that was like predominately white I'd be kinda weirded out since I am so used to all the variation.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 3:03 pm

SignOfLazarus wrote:
"I'm Upset About Mass Immigration In The US"
Of course you are.

K_Kelly wrote:

mmm. I can tell you are upset about that common occurrence. That's what happens in elections, though.

Well catering to the changing demographics of the population certainly can help earn votes....no one is entitled to win an election just because they refuse to cater to the changing demographic in any way.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Feb 2015, 3:09 pm

The Chamber of Commerce loves it and so do our politicians, we all know they have the best interests of average everyday Americans at heart.

I don't fear diversity or demographic change, I grew up in an area that was very poor and mostly non-white. Most of these Hispanic immigrants are good people that just want a better life but I do worry about what effect it has my life and whether or not these people can and are willing to assimilate. Creating poverty stricken ethnic enclaves isn't a recipe for success, how does this migration help and hurt poor people already in this country? Is there a limit? What is the line?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 8:38 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The Chamber of Commerce loves it and so do our politicians, we all know they have the best interests of average everyday Americans at heart.

I don't fear diversity or demographic change, I grew up in an area that was very poor and mostly non-white. Most of these Hispanic immigrants are good people that just want a better life but I do worry about what effect it has my life and whether or not these people can and are willing to assimilate. Creating poverty stricken ethnic enclaves isn't a recipe for success, how does this migration help and hurt poor people already in this country? Is there a limit? What is the line?

Around here we have pretty much full employment with most jobs paying above minimum wage by at least a $1...

Most of the immigrants around here work in poultry or pork processing for about $10/hr. They ARE doing jobs most people don't want (although many Americans do those jobs too). They really aren't hurting anyone and they definitely are contributing to the economy.

As stated before, the kids do all speak English... Poverty is a problem, but it isn't caused by immigrants. It's caused by a poorly regulated free market.

The cure is more/better government benefits for low wage workers or regulations that compel employers to pay workers more and provide benefits themselves... but that's another thread.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 8:41 pm

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:02 pm

America has always been a nation of immigrants.

Immigrants are the ones who propelled America to its present position in the world.

Most immigrants work hard, and emphasize education to their kids, even if they are not educated themselves.t

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm

I'm around blacks, Muslims, Asians, and more at work and school every day and I'm happy to have them here. I'd like stability and a good plan for moving forward, but not by simply pointing fingers at immigrants for coming here and saying that they're going to be more numerous as if that in itself should terrify me.

A demographic change is difficult and may require a new game plan, but these are still people who are born, are excited for their first day of school, make and lose friends, and have human troubles. They're not aliens.

I hope the mindset that it's a competition between different colors, origins, and ethnicities and that whites are "losing" if there are more of other colors around is what's wiped out.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:01 pm

downbutnotout wrote:
/
I hope the mindset that it's a competition between different colors, origins, and ethnicities and that whites are "losing" if there are more of other colors around is what's wiped out.

It is the minority political groups that think they are "winning" by having more minorities and less whites. They think they will win elections, because they think their constituents will faithfully vote Democrat.

It is a competition, because life is competition. Here are some examples:

-a few Indian tech companies have admitted they only hire Indians. They say it just makes it easier to have a cohesive workforce. (adding flames to the anger some have about H1bs replacing them)

- several "traditionally" black cities have been "taken over" by Hispanics (angering some black residents)

- DC and Harlem are experiencing "gentrification" where whites are increasing and blacks are decreasing(angering some black residents)

-the governor of Michigan, and recently presidential candidate Jeb Bush suggested that the solution for Detroit is to bring in immigrants (ones with a masters degree or better from around the world) this is called "Operation De-Africanization" by some black people

- non-English speaking immigrant children cost extra money, and consume more teacher resources, thus, a contributing factor to "white flight" as people want good schools for their children and see the extra expenses are detracting from a higher quality eduction

- the influx of Hispanics have permitted businesses to not hire whites, and blacks who formally did those likely low paying jobs

- some jobs are advertised , "must know Spanish"

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:45 pm

No, there is no "bad" race or ethnicity than the other. But race/ethnicity = culture and culture = the majority make up of a nation. So if White America becomes a minority, it just doesn't sound right. I love all races and cultures, but I doubt the US can sustain itself as a minority-majority country.

And culture issues are just a part of it. Think of how fragile our national infrastructure and resources are.

PhoenixFalcon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2015, 10:53 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
No, there is no "bad" race or ethnicity than the other. But race/ethnicity = culture and culture = the majority make up of a nation. So if White America becomes a minority, it just doesn't sound right. I love all races and cultures, but I doubt the US can sustain itself as a minority-majority country.

Culture is always changing whether you like it or not. Static culture is an illusion, and many of the cultures we say are "pure" are actually a patchwork made up of the cultures before it. For example, America is a fusion of British culture and the culture of subsequent immigrants. Also, I feel that you saying that a white minority America doesn't sound right is a form of soft racism.

K_Kelly wrote:
And culture issues are just a part of it. Think of how fragile our national infrastructure and resources are.

What does this have to do with immigration? I don't see the connection.