Page 4 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 7:46 pm

I get what you mean....the money could be used for our poor citizens.

I guess I'm too much of an Internationalist at heart! My wife, who is not originally American, also believes I'm too much of an Internationalist.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Feb 2015, 7:54 pm

I understand the moral argument for unrestricted immigration and open borders especially considering the history of this country but we owe to our citizenry not to enact policies that negatively effect their quality of life. When it comes to jobs and government services, given how limited resources already are how can we support adding even more needy people? Just because it is supposedly a net positive to the country(Wall Street) doesn't mean it is a positive to everyone in the country, poor people are too often hung out to dry by the elites in the country. What is in the best interest of the 99% isn't the same as the 1% and who do you think has more influence on policy?

Assimilation is important because I don't believe you can have two or however many populations live amongst each other than can't speak the same language, that don't share the same values, and most important segregate themselves from each other without there being significant tension and civil strife. We need to all be able to live with each other and see each other as Americans first rather than whatever color or cultural grouping you are. That's not to say we're all the same, we are all individuals obvious be just being to communicate with each other and not see each other as foreign I think is a big deal. It wasn't that long ago that Irish and Italians weren't seen as American, things change and I do think this is possible with our Hispanic population. As mentioned something like 50% of them identify as white, I don't really care so much about maintaining whiteness as I am knocking down walls between us.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm

Relax. White men will still control the overwhelming majority of wealth in the country. Therefore, whites will still be the majority (practically speaking) even though they are outnumbered numerically. Money speaks in America. A surprisingly small number of people control the country.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 9:20 pm

I'm white and I control nothing.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 10:55 pm

eric76 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
eric76 wrote:
What we really need is for immigrants to assimilate and add to the culture instead of holding themselves apart maintain their old culture. When someone comes to the US, it should be to become Americans, not to try to try to force Americans to become part of their culture. Keep the best of both cultures.

Remember that when you go somewhere, it is your job to adapt, not everyone else's job to adapt themselves to you. That applies whether it is a school, a job, a club, or another country. If you aren't willing to become part of the new culture, then you should just stay home.

And do tell what is our 'culture' here in the U.S?....and I think it would be funny to see a white person eating mexican food complaining about how those damn mexicans need to assimilate, so I can laugh my a** off.

Also one does not have to entirely reject/shed their initial culture to assimilate somewhat...even so what even is there to assimilate to that is a constant?...only think I can figure is learning english since that is the main language and makes communication more effective but aside from that we don't have a defined culture to assimilate to.
I would say that our culture is mostly based on the better parts of the culture of many countries. Often times it has come together so much that many people may not even realize how different they are.

What we don't want is more or less isolated communities made up with people who want to completely retain the culture of their home countries (including the worst parts) and not adapt at all to being Americans. We have always had some and always will, but they at least, for the most part, are limited and do not pose a threat to this country.

That is very vague....how is someone supposed to conform to something that vague? Also we seem to have plenty of negative crap in our 'culture'....And well I could really care less if someone feels they really identify with being an 'american' or not, that alone wouldn't pose a threat that I can see. When I describe myself that is certainly not the first thing that comes to mind as there are plenty of things consider myself to be before that. Kinda neutral about being 'american' to tell you the truth its just a place I was born.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 8:41 pm

Some people in the field also believe redheads and natural blondes will become extinct in 200 years. Any evidence that they won't go extinct or disappear?

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 9:06 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Some people in the field also believe redheads and natural blondes will become extinct in 200 years. Any evidence that they won't go extinct or disappear?

Did you mean to start a new thread with this?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 9:10 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

a designer baby clinic lets parents decide their child's sex, eye color, hair color, hair style such as curly ...
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6998135

the race is on to make the future super-man. Hitler's dream is realized

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 1:12 am

K_Kelly wrote:

There is a huge part of the inland US that is, practically speaking, all white (like 95% + of the population is white).That is not going to change. Also, most people prefer to date within their own ethnic group. That is not going to change. I don't see brown people taking over Europe or Russia. I don't see a mass migration North (one that is large enough to displace the people who have traditionally lived in Europe), and I don't see intermixing happening to such an extent that pure whites disappear. The white race has been around for thousands of years and will continue to be around.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 1:38 am

K_Kelly wrote:
I doubt the US can sustain itself as a minority-majority country....Think of how fragile our national infrastructure and resources are.
Our infrastructure is failing because of poor government policies that go back decades. People want more government benefits and fewer taxes. People also have bought into the idea of free trade agreements, which make it easier for companies to take their money and resources to other countries instead of spending it here in the U.S. If you want better government, vote in better politicians. Don't scapegoat immigrants.

Why are we not doing everything possible to educate U.S. kids so that they can compete with the foreign competition? We have to import foreign workers in some fields because of a lack of qualified U.S. job applicants. Our public education system (K-12) sucks! Immigrants are going to save this country by bringing in new ideas...just like they always have. I say welcome. The more diverse the population the better.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

We are a nation of immigrants. This is the basis for our existence.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:00 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

Any evidence that they WILL go extinct in 200 years?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 8:56 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:

Any evidence that they WILL go extinct in 200 years?

The story about the report was a hoax.

"In 2002 BBC News reported that unnamed German experts had concluded that the natural distribution of blond hair would cease within the span of 200 years owing to the genes associated with blond hair being recessive. The article reported the scientists had said that there is a reportedly low number of people carrying the recessive blond allele, especially in nations of mixed heritage (for example, the United States, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, New Zealand and Australia). The dominant alleles (brown hair, black hair, brown eyes) "overthrow" the recessive genes or metaphorically, endanger them. Subsequently the study was attributed to the World Health Organization. In the BBC article Prof. Jonathan Rees of the University of Edinburgh cast doubt on the story—he was quoted as saying "The frequency of blondes may drop but they won't disappear."

As I cited above, people can choose their children to be blonde if they think that is desirable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearing_blonde_gene

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 9:25 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

I have to wonder how they come up with stuff like this....I doubt people with genetics to create blonde and red-headed offspring are not going to spontaneously stop breeding. Maybe it will become less common as interracial people will become more and more common theoratically....but even then genes can lay dormant, a mostly white person could have kids with someone of entirely african decent and the first kid might have black hair, darker skin, darker eyes....next one might have blue eyes, paler skin but still with the dark more curly hair...basically you never know what you are going to get. I am mostly white decent but part native because my grandma on my dads side...and me and my siblings have different traits of both. Like my sister has more tan skin than me and my brother so looks like she has a tan all year around but is blonde with blue/green eyes, I have more pale skin dark straight hair and people have commented that my somewhat high cheek-bones sort of give away that I am part native a couple people have asked me if I was because of that specifically. My brother and sister don't have that particular trait though.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 2:20 am

Bump

Why is it that only those of mostly European descent are becoming a minority in USA? How unfair. Just imagine what non-white races would do if they were diminishing

I am very sensitive right now.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 2:46 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Bump

Why is it that only those of mostly European descent are becoming a minority in USA? How unfair. Just imagine what non-white races would do if they were diminishing

I am very sensitive right now.

What makles you think they are diminishing ? The political people seperate the English from the Spanish. However, they both have European ancestery.

Mexican (Spanish) people:

"Despite that extra-official sources estimate the modern white population of Mexico to be only 9-16%, in genetic studies Mexico consistently shows a European admixture comparable to countries that report white populations of 52% - 77% (in the case of Chile and Costa Rica, who average 51% & 60% European admixture respectively, while studies in the general Mexican population have found European ancestry ranging from 56% going to 60%,64% and up to 78%. The differences between genetic ancestry and reported numbers could be attributed to the influence of the concept known as "mestizaje", which was promoted by the post-revolutionary government in an effort to create a united Mexican cultural identity with no racial distinctions.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_people