Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chromanebula
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2015, 11:31 pm

Just look at this letter from a parent: https://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2015/02/02/day-ill-have-put-my-son-group-home?utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=The%2520Day%2520I'll%2520Have%2520to%2520Put%2520My%2520Son%2520In%2520a%2520Group%2520Home%2520&utm_campaign=mostpopular
In case the link doesn't work for you, here it is:

Quote:
The Day I'll Have to Put My Son In a Group Home

This guest post is by Sarah, a mom blogger who writes at TheStayAtHomeSoprano.com. You can read this original post on her blog here.

I just read a blog post where the author was asked to list the hardest thing about autism, and she said, people. For me, the hardest thing changes as time and life change. A long time ago, it was other people not being kind, instead very very judgmental. Later it was hitting and pinching. Later still it was loneliness and so on. Today, it is fear…pain. Fear of giving up, pain of letting go.

Many people have heard the song “Say Something” by a Great Big World and a cover by Pentatonix. Most see it as a romantic or familial toned song. I ask that you close your eyes and listen to it again, trying to imagine yourself as a mom who has to give up her young teen child (or any age, for that matter) to a group home…to live away from his/her family. Imagine this is the first day of that chapter of their lives.

Imagine the feelings of failure, the guilt that overwhelms. Think of the sadness, the loss, the dashed hope, the feeling of giving up. Think of them in the new room of their child. Imagine the car ride home with an empty seat in the back…

This isn’t an ‘if’, it’s a when. It isn’t today, nor tomorrow, the next day, or the next. I hope it’s later, not sooner, but it will happen. This happens everyday. Parents have to give up their kids to a group home. Before people say something, I do know I didn’t fail. I know I shouldn’t feel guilty, like a failure, or that I am giving up. I know I’m not giving up. I know it will be the best for him. I also know it isn’t goodbye. But it is goodbye to life as we know it now, and that feels like enough of a goodbye to me. I know we can visit; I know we can bring him home to stay with us as much as we would like, but tell that to a mom who is giving up her baby, placed in her charge by God himself. No matter what I know in my head, I know my heart will wait until that time comes to start working to reconcile itself to believe what the head says.

On that day, when we are standing in the doorway of his new room, tears will flow freely. Guilt will overwhelm. My heart will be pleading with my non-verbal son “Say something! Please! Tell me you love me. Tell me you know I love you. Tell me we don’t have to do this. Tell me you forgive me. Tell me I didn’t fail. Tell me you understand.”

I know it will be okay. I know I will be okay. I have faith in Jesus that he’s going to have it in his hands, have Taylor in his hands…have me in his hands.

But if you ask me today what is the hardest part?…. knowing this is my future.

It's so...ugh! Do you only think about yourself, and not about what your autistic child may be going through? It's so hypocritical, because you say WE'RE the ones with no empathy... :evil:

eloralouistra

20 Feb 2015, 4:00 pm

Ugh yeah. I've recently been reading several Autism Speaks blog posts by "Autism moms" (when I can manage to stop being hurt by the ableism, I find them hilarious and have started recording Dramatic Readings of them). While that's definitely one of the worst, they basically all go, "My child has autism and it makes my life so hard, no one understands me and my child isn't the person I want them to be, someone feel sorry for me!! !"

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2015, 10:53 am

Autism Speaks as a whole is more about the parents with kids on the spectrum rather than Autistics themselves, isn't it? I don't really know a lot about this group, but that's the vibe I seem to be getting whenever I hear about them. In this case, the mom should at least understand that being in a group is probably what's best for her son, and that not every autistic ends up living in one. There are plenty that are perfectly capable of living on their own and having functional lives.

MelissaCho

26 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm

I read the article and this article is one of the many reasons that I have cut my ties with so-called organization.