What would u do if spouse told u, "honey I'm on Mars 1!"?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:50 pm

If your spouse ended up going to Mars, it is highly unlikely you would ever see them again. The chances of them returning to Earth are remote. Would you stay married even though you would be pretty much abandoned? Divorce and try to find someone new? I read at least one candidate is married and will leave their wife.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:03 pm

I'd say, "Can I come with.... pleaseeeeee?"

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:05 pm

I wonder if we get email on Mars!

I'd ask her: What's it like there?

I would be SOOOOOOO envious!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:35 pm

why do you all consider living on Mars to be desirable?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:23 pm

Because it's "there."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:28 pm

I've never been married, so I don't really know. I guess it would be a really big deal if we had small children who will never see their daddy again that I will end up raising alone. (Ha, I sure can pretend, can't I?)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:34 pm

I'd say, "Go ahead, pull the other one! It's got bells on!"

My wife is no more interested in space travel than I am interested in giving birth.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:36 pm

I used to want to be in the Lunar Module with those astronauts when they were on the Moon!

I wanted to just stand there and behold the Earth from the Moon.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:47 pm

I still enjoy reading science-fiction stories that include space travel or living on other worlds. SF is my favorite literary genre.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 2:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to want to be in the Lunar Module with those astronauts when they were on the Moon!

Were talking about living there. Not just visiting it.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 2:02 am

Just from a practical standpoint- are they accepting married applicants?

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2015, 2:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Were talking about living there. Not just visiting it.

It is also an one way trip!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 10:41 am

SignOfLazarus wrote:
Just from a practical standpoint- are they accepting married applicants?

I guess they are since there was a story about a married man applying for Mars One.
I was just thinking about that! Why accept applications from people who are married? But then again, if you really love someone, you would want them to follow their dream even if it means they will go someplace far away and might never return. So, you would say, go ahead and go if that's what you really want.

The question I have is for the spouses left behind. What will they do? Technically, they are married but their better halves are very difficult to reach and impossible to hold. Not sure how long it takes emails to get here from Mars. Longer than on earth, I suppose.

It would be so odd to be married yet not. And what if they decide they want a divorce later but cannot get in touch with the spouse who has left?

If it were me in the situation, with a spouse leaving for Mars I would tell him honey I love you just grant me a divorce before you go...because it won't really be a marriage anymore anyway.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2015, 10:52 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Not sure how long it takes emails to get here from Mars. Longer than on earth, I suppose.

Mars doesn't have email as we understand it.

Mars' orbit is just over three light-minutes away from Earth's. Theoretically, you could transmit a message between the two planets in that time. In practice, the planets can be nearly 25 light minutes apart. The message would need to be sent to NASA or whoever, who could then forward it as an email to their family. Very slow conversations.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

The_Walrus wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Not sure how long it takes emails to get here from Mars. Longer than on earth, I suppose.

Mars' orbit is just over three light-minutes away from Earth's. Theoretically, you could transmit a message between the two planets in that time. In practice, the planets can be nearly 25 light minutes apart. The message would need to be sent to NASA or whoever, who could then forward it as an email to their family. Very slow conversations.

I assume they will figure out a way to relay information before they go but how can there not be a delay? How long a delay I dunno. Maybe it will only be a few minutes?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 4:06 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I assume they will figure out a way to relay information before they go but how can there not be a delay? How long a delay I dunno. Maybe it will only be a few minutes?

Just thinking aloud here:

In theory it could be done at the speed of light. Earth is 8 light minutes from the sun, and the orbit of Mars is another 3 light minutes beyond earth. So when the two planets are lined up next to each other on the same side of the sun (rare) there would be a three minute delay. But if the planets were on opposite sides of their respective orbits it would be 8+8+3=19 light minutes of seperation between the two planets. So in theory the lag would vary between 3, and 19 minutes. But in practice e-mails would have to be sent to some central transmitter at NASA, and then sent. So I dunno.