Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 7:43 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Wouldn't it be weird if there were some way to create this bridge to Mars so we could just put everyone on Mars and let earth air out for say, ten years, then bring them back while Mars is "airing out" and just keep shuffling them back and forth?

Considering the difference in speeds and time to go around the sun, that's putting it mildly.

Precisely how would you "air out" the Earth?

Haha. By shuffling everyone to Mars. I just imagine all these people walking to Mars. Can you see it?

That would take years, wouldn't it?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 7:47 am

I also think that fixing our planet should be more of a priority. It would cost less money to do so.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Wouldn't it be weird if there were some way to create this bridge to Mars so we could just put everyone on Mars and let earth air out for say, ten years, then bring them back while Mars is "airing out" and just keep shuffling them back and forth?

Considering the difference in speeds and time to go around the sun, that's putting it mildly.

Haha. By shuffling everyone to Mars. I just imagine all these people walking to Mars. Can you see it?

It was something in my imagination that I liked thinking about. How realistic it is, or even if it's possible, I don't know.

I have news about the Mars One mission. Scientists are dubious of whether it will be possible on the given timeline due to lack of funding. They say colonists could only last 68 days with the equipment they will use to generate oxygen.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... -supporter

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 9:35 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

It was something in my imagination that I liked thinking about. How realistic it is, or even if it's possible, I don't know.

I have news about the Mars One mission. Scientists are dubious of whether it will be possible on the given timeline due to lack of funding. They say colonists could only last 68 days with the equipment they will use to generate oxygen.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... -supporter

If planets are like carpets, and need to be "aired out" at intervals why not just drap Earth over the banister and beat it for awhile?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 11:42 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Let's say the Mars Project is a raving success and we see this planet become earth like, as in oceans, land, oxygen atmosphere, moderate temperatures that can sustain life. Who will get to decide what lives on Mars and where? Will it become another Earth or some elite place where only certain people are allowed in based on certain character traits or beliefs? What about animal life on Mars? Will the only ones who make it there be the ones used to feed humans? Can a cock roach survive the journey to Mars thus spreading the species there? What about spores of mold or little bits of pollen hitching a ride aboard the space vessel?

There are a lot of implications.

Even while terraforming, who decides what plants or is it going to be a smorgasbord?

Don't hold you breath till all that happens.

1. We do not a decent propulsion system for making long journeys in space
2. We do not have a fraction of the technology needed to terraform Mars. And even we we did, it is futile because Mars no longer has a magnetic field so solar radiation will blast any atmosphere that is produced by terraforming.

We could build habitats on Mars and even do some agriculture in sheltered habitats using artificial light with the solar spectrum. Earth plants will love it. The best we will ever do is build permanent habitats on Mars which will give us a good base for future mining of the asteroid belt.

But until we can cut down the transit time to under a month, send people to Mars is a suicide journey. The ten month ride in vessels using current technology when Mars and Earth are in conjunction will mean exposure of the crews to cosmic radiation which will cook them right a proper. Until we get propulsion technology that can move properly shielded space craft rapidly a trip to Mars is a foolish undertaking. And fatal too.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 6:11 pm

Well, we have to put the brakes on any plan on going to Mars. Pat Robertson recently said NASA is wasting the public's tax money, because the earth is the only place where God has put life. :P

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 7:49 am

ruveyn wrote:
1. We do not a decent propulsion system for making long journeys in space

Aren't the ion thrusters quite efficient?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:08 pm

Y'know, when it comes time to go, I have to wonder how many volunteers are actually going to go through with it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Well, we have to put the brakes on any plan on going to Mars. Pat Robertson recently said NASA is wasting the public's tax money, because the earth is the only place where God has put life. :P

And...according to one Evangelical novelist: folks traveling in space run the risk of missing out on the Rapture!

I had the impression that Jehovah was supposed to rule the whole Universe. So if the Rapture actually happened, and it happened in your life time, and you happened to be an astronaut in interplanetary/interstellar space the moment it happened, that you would just get raptured out of your space ship just like(and at the same moment that) folks on earth get raptured.Being off-Earth wouldn't make any difference. But I guess I am missing something in Christian theology.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

And...according to one Evangelical novelist: folks traveling in space run the risk of missing out on the Rapture!

I had the impression that Jehovah was supposed to rule the whole Universe. So if the Rapture actually happened, and it happened in your life time, and you happened to be an astronaut in interplanetary/interstellar space the moment it happened, that you would just get raptured out of your space ship just like(and at the same moment that) folks on earth get raptured.Being off-Earth wouldn't make any difference. But I guess I am missing something in Christian theology.

Well, not all of us adhering to Christian theology actually believe in the Rapture.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 2:32 pm

Well, Jesus *did* talk about people being gathered from one end of the heavens to the other (Matthew 24 v. 31)...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 2:48 pm

Magneto wrote:
Well, Jesus *did* talk about people being gathered from one end of the heavens to the other (Matthew 24 v. 31)...

But that's at the last judgement for all believers, and not just for the select few being carried away before the so called tribulation, followed by a thousand year reign of Christ.