Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

eloralouistra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2015, 3:48 pm

Oops, I've been busy at Uni and haven't been around for ages, but hello again everyone!

Anyway, I noticed today that Autism $peaks are asking people to tweet about the ways their lives have been changed by A$ over the last ten years with the hash tag AutismSpeaks10, and I decided it'd be good to actually let them know. Using the tag #AutismSpeaks10 so all "autism supporters" who look at it will see and the tag #actuallyautistic, I'm starting a movement to tell people about the bad ways Autism Speaks has affected us.

If you don't have twitter, you could email [email protected] and if you want to join in and can't think of any tweets yourself, examples could be:

#AutismSpeaks10 A$ has touched me in so many ways. I love how they spread hate speech and misinformation about people like me constantly

Thanks #AutismSpeaks10 for how much awareness you’ve spread about how horrible and burdensome I am… #ActuallyAutistic

#ActuallyAutistic and constantly fighting to get my voice heard instead of Autism Speaks’ hate #AutismSpeaks10

#AutismSpeaks10 Apparently it’s perfectly acceptable to “advocate” for a cause in ways the people you’re “supporting” hate #ActuallyAutistic

#AutismSpeaks10 Thanks A$ for making it so hard to find people who’re positive about autism over the past 10 years! #ActuallyAutistic

#ActuallyAutistic and my life has been harder for the past ten years, because #AutismSpeaks10 tells people I need to be cured.

#AutismSpeaks10 You’ve touched my life by making me fight harder to get my own voice heard, instead of people who’d rather I didn’t exist.

#AutismSpeaks10 So glad Autism $peaks has been spending the last 10 years making money by claiming #ActuallyAutistic people shouldn’t exist.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

Thanks #AutismSpeaks10 We now have to work that much harder to dispel the hateful intolerant bigotry that you've spread #ActuallyAutistic

So grateful that #AutismSpeaks10 has made it easy for people to compare me to cancer to be eliminated #ActuallyAutistic

Thanks #AutismSpeaks10 I've always wanted a hate group to set us back in progression to the 1940's, then have the temerity to ask for thanks

There you go, there's mine.

It's a shame, but I still think we have a lot of AS people that are too cowardly to call Speaks out like this.

eloralouistra

20 Feb 2015, 6:28 pm

Those are good tweets!

True, a lot of people may be scared, but I feel like that just makes doing things like this more important - the more we fight against them, the easier it gets. Hopefully more people will feel brave enough to be involved in things like these eventually.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2015, 4:01 am

Holy s**t, this is the most glorious thing I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/autismspeaks10

Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:04 am

Good job Autism Speaks. In just one short decade you have helped set back public attitudes towards autism by several decades #AutismSpeaks10

Probably one of the better ones I saw lol.. that's brilliant. I don't use twitter so I can't help much.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:49 pm

Second consecutive $peaks hashtag campaign successfully hijacked. Here's to hoping their next ten years aren't as good as the first.

brokenmuse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2015, 1:21 am

Figured I'd stop by to see if there was a thread about this! I never use twitter, but when someone shared that there was a thing where we were taking over the #autismspeaks10 tag, I decided to meander over, and we're absolutely hammering that tag with genuine lived experiences. I highly encourage anyone and everyone reading this to sign up and get on board if you are not already.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 3:27 am

brokenmuse wrote:
Figured I'd stop by to see if there was a thread about this! I never use twitter, but when someone shared that there was a thing where we were taking over the #autismspeaks10 tag, I decided to meander over, and we're absolutely hammering that tag with genuine lived experiences. I highly encourage anyone and everyone reading this to sign up and get on board if you are not already.

Doing this now actually lol, this is probably one of the better ways to get the real message out there.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 9:07 am

I added my two cents by email, with the actuallyautistic hashtag if it makes any difference. I don't expect it to help much in the grand scheme of things, but for two minutes there I didn't feel like a victim.

It will probably come back to bite me, because I used my real name. In for a penny, in for a pound.

eloralouistra

25 Feb 2015, 9:24 am

They seem to be ignoring all our tweets and messages, but apparently GMA are interviewing them this morning, so I hope they might talk about our response.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 5:35 pm

eloralouistra wrote:
They seem to be ignoring all our tweets and messages, but apparently GMA are interviewing them this morning, so I hope they might talk about our response.

It's funny that someone's interviewing them now because they declined an interview from buzzfeed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 5:44 pm

Interview was a enthusiastic commercial for Autism Speaks

Watch it and weep if you must.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/autism- ... y-29211597

Only thing missing was cheerleaders(sarcasm)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

eloralouistra

25 Feb 2015, 6:40 pm

Ugh. I suppose it's not really surprising that they only accept interviews with people who'll make them look good.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 9:10 pm

eloralouistra wrote:
Ugh. I suppose it's not really surprising that they only accept interviews with people who'll make them look good.

Of course, for every PR nightmare that they've been responsible for with us, they have to make themselves look good for people to actually support them, and mainstream news is the best biased output available to anyone who has the money for it, even when that money comes from the millions that should be used to help people on the spectrum. They'll never speak with anyone who asks the hard questions about their practices because they know it would be committing Public Relations suicide, people wouldn't follow them after that.

eloralouistra

26 Feb 2015, 5:20 am

So Autism Speaks have apparently now started using #AutismChampions as a tag instead. So, yay we took over one tag, but now we have another one.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 2:08 pm

They've been doing the #autismchampions hashtag for a long time. It's very patronizing.