Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BeyondInfinity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2007, 4:47 pm

Has any one else seen the Japanese movie "Densha Otoko" (Train Man)? I had to watch is for my Japanese film course today. It was supposed to be a comedy, but I found it to be one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen. It’s about a 23 year old Otaku with severe social challenges who meets a beautiful young woman on a train, and through the help and advice of his online message board friends he awkwardly tries to win her heart.
The main character displays plenty of aspie traits in the film and I found him very easy to relate to. The problem is that the entire comedy dynamic of the film is based on his social inability and while all the NT's thought it was funny throughout, for me it was like watching replays of my biggest social blunders to the chorus of laughter...I felt so depressed and angry after the film was over, NTs just don't understand do they?

BeyondInfinity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2007, 11:40 am

Perhaps I should clarify the question, do you find media portrayal of aspie traits as comedy offensive?

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 4:42 pm

Yeah, I find it offensive.
That's why I stay away from movies where I aready know that one of the characters is a lot like myself.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.