So... I'm new here. I hope to get along with you all.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Gigallypuff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2015, 1:01 am

I'm August, and I'm 17. I don't really know what to put here, nor how to transition to it, really. I guess I'll continue with that fact that August is not my birth name, nor is it my legal name, but I plan to get it changed to that at some point. Won't happen before college though. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age six in first grade, though my parents didn't explain a thing to me until middle school, when I was eleven. My memory sucks, and pretty much all of elementary school, save fifth grade, and middle school is a blur. Hell, even my junior year is a blur, and that was only a year ago. Anyway, back to the poi- oh. I give up. Just ask me anything you're curious about. I'm bored and don't have anything better to do (besides homework).

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 4:04 am

Hey August welcome. :sunny:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:48 pm

Hello and welcome! I'm Allison and I'm 16. I was diagnosed at the age of 7.

How did you find out about this site?

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:48 pm

Hi and welcome!

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:52 pm

hi, august. welcome. what sorts of things do you enjoy doing?

Gigallypuff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2015, 8:39 pm

I found out about Wrong Planet through Wikipedia, actually. Took me a while to make an account though. My interests primarily include video games and anime/manga/light novels/visual novels. I also read "regular" books, but I have a hard time finding series that I like these days. Thinking about starting The Wheel of Time, and I'd really like to get into Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, but the first half of the first book (The Dragonbone Chair), which is around 600 pages, is really slow, while the second half is all action, from what I've read about it. I'm mainly a fantasy and sci-fi person. If a series could conceivably happen in real life, it usually doesn't interest me much.

As for what light and visual novels are, that's a whole separate wall of text. I'll try to be succinct, so bear with me. Light novels are short books (usually 200 to 300 pages) that are typically released every three to six months in Japan. They usually have a character from the series on the cover, drawn anime-style, with a few illustrations of important events in the book spread throughout. The plots usually aren't too different from what you'd find in an anime or manga series, as a lot of the tropes are the same. They'll also usually go on for a few years at the least, and a few have been going on for over ten. If you're willing to give one a chance, may I recommend Spice and Wolf? If the author name wasn't Japanese, and the cover illustration wasn't obviously anime-style, I guarantee you it would be more well known and impossible to tell that it emerged from the same medium.

Now, visual novels... they're computer "games" with a very heavy or exclusive focus on story, often with no gameplay outside of choices that influence the route the game takes. In other words, some have multiple directions the plot can take, but not all. They've got text overlayed on the screen or in a text box at the bottom along with character sprites (images), background images and music, and sometimes voice acting (in Japanese). They can range in genre, too. Two I recommend are the murder mystery When the Seagulls Cry/Umineko no Naku Koro ni (Information on purchasing and patching the game into English here plus a free demo.) and the time-travel thriller Steins;Gate (You can buy it here for Windows.). Umineko is available for both Windows and Mac OS X (and it's possible to get it working on Linux, too, if you're up to fiddling a bit - no WINE needed!).

Sorry, this turned into an advertisement, but I really like spreading good series that most people won't give a chance because they're unfamiliar with them, and I feel that pure-text books are less off-putting to people than manga/comics or anime/cartoons, while the novelty of a computer "game" might interest them more as well.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 12:02 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Taking a wild guess here, but based on your username, are you into Pokemon?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 2:32 pm

Welcome to WP Gigallypuff. I hope you like it here. :)

bigbossman9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2015, 3:46 pm

Hi August, or whatever your real name is. I'm Max. I too have Aspbeger's syndrome, but my memory is spot on. It's great to meet someone who is like me. Let's be friends. :D