Why do you think people turn like their paternal side?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 12:10 pm

I find that most people are more like their paternal side not only in physical appearance only but also in their personalities and behaviors, I know personality and behaviors are genetic somehow but people also have their maternal genes so why do you think as children grow older they become more like the father??Even when the mother has more influence the offspring are more like the father

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 1:25 pm

I don't know about this; I've never heard before that people are more like their fathers than their mothers. I personally am more like my mother than my father.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 1:39 pm

TheAP wrote:
I don't know about this; I've never heard before that people are more like their fathers than their mothers. I personally am more like my mother than my father.

Maybe it depends, but someone I know once told me that and my mother keeps commenting on how much me and my sibilings act or look like my father or like relatives from his side.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Feb 2015, 1:55 pm

I wouldn't say this is true, I'd be taller and blonder if I looked more like my paternal side and personality? I dunno. Maybe? Its hard to say, I mean obviously me and my dad are both guys but I see both of my parents in me and then a lot just came out of nowhere. I think looks wise I look a lot more like my mothers side. We never had much to do with my dad's side of the family, he had a traumatic childhood and overcame a lot to escape where he came from whereas my mother had a much more family orientated idyllic upbringing so growing up I was much much closer with my mom's side of the family altho now we've sadly seemed to have drifted apart since my grandparents have passed. I don't have much if any contact with my extended family on either side anymore just my parents and siblings.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 4:29 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I wouldn't say this is true, I'd be taller and blonder if I looked more like my paternal side and personality? I dunno. Maybe? Its hard to say, I mean obviously me and my dad are both guys but I see both of my parents in me and then a lot just came out of nowhere. I think looks wise I look a lot more like my mothers side. We never had much to do with my dad's side of the family, he had a traumatic childhood and overcame a lot to escape where he came from whereas my mother had a much more family orientated idyllic upbringing so growing up I was much much closer with my mom's side of the family altho now we've sadly seemed to have drifted apart since my grandparents have passed. I don't have much if any contact with my extended family on either side anymore just my parents and siblings.

I think there are things which won't be necessarily inherited, everyone tells me says I look nothing like my mother and that I'm a carbon copy of my father but I seem to lack the charisma he has. I guess my father's life was different from mine too, I would say it was harder than mine because his father died while he was young and the enviroment he lived in was different than the one I live in, but I think I have strong family ties like he did and hes always traveling so I think I can somehow understand what its like not to have a father, my mother had a normal life and a normal enviroment so I can see similarities between me and her here, but her personality is so much different than mine; she's social, loud, she was shy in early childhood while I don't remember being shy even thought I was so anti social, she enjoys being around people<-- I'm the exact opposite of that, so are my sibilings and father.
I never had any grandparents from both sides except my maternal grandfather but he died while I was young, before his death relations with maternal side was better than now, althought relations with paternal side relatives have always been stronger but not really strong but better to when compared to my maternal side.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:23 pm

You get slightly more DNA from your mother (the male Y chromosome is shorter), and of course all mitochondrial DNA is from your mother but I doubt that affects appearance.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:29 pm

trollcatman wrote:
You get slightly more DNA from your mother (the male Y chromosome is shorter), and of course all mitochondrial DNA is from your mother but I doubt that affects appearance.

I will search about that but I remember I once read that you get 50% genes from each parent.

--

I remember this topic was an obsession once - I think its coming back again haha. I used to look at pictures and compare, I noticed that people inherit their father's skull or jaw structure more, even bones,
I guess it has to do with this somehow; in olden days a male can't be sure the offspring is his but the female could because she carries it inside her and gives birth to it> so the offspring resembles father more so that he can be sure its his offspring. Lol .

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 7:19 pm

Well, I think that women get 50% of both parents. The chromosomes that determine sex (X, Y) do not contain the same amount of genes in them. Women are XX so they get equal parts of both parent, but men get XY. Since the Y chromosome contains fewer genes I think that men inherit slightly less from their father. That is also why they are more likely to have color-blindness and a few other conditions.
The mitochondrial DNA is entirely from the mother, but that is not really human DNA. Mitochondria are the things in our cells that provide energy to them, they are thought to have originally been independant organisms but they now live in our cells. We can trace descent through the mother's line by looking at mitochondrial DNA.
If you are obsessed by heredity, you could become a geneticist 8)

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 1:36 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Well, I think that women get 50% of both parents. The chromosomes that determine sex (X, Y) do not contain the same amount of genes in them. Women are XX so they get equal parts of both parent, but men get XY. Since the Y chromosome contains fewer genes I think that men inherit slightly less from their father. That is also why they are more likely to have color-blindness and a few other conditions.
The mitochondrial DNA is entirely from the mother, but that is not really human DNA. Mitochondria are the things in our cells that provide energy to them, they are thought to have originally been independant organisms but they now live in our cells. We can trace descent through the mother's line by looking at mitochondrial DNA.
If you are obsessed by heredity, you could become a geneticist 8)

I read about that, males get more DNA from the mother, they are also more likely to inherit diseases from the mother.
Lol I will always keep getting obsessed about something new; now I'm obsessed with inheritance later I might get obsessed over apples.
--
I noticed traits like skull , forehead and jaw bones are from the father mostly, eyes and eyebrows too, face structure.
I also remember that time when someone in class said that me and a friend looked like sibilings from the same father but different mothers because we had similar eyes lol. So I think father genes leave a more noticeable signature on the offspring, more than the mother's.