Page 4 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jwfess
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2015, 3:13 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
jwfess wrote:
...If the US changes the laws and made firearms illegal, then that's what the citizens need to obey. The right to bear arms like any law can be changed....

Not quite. The natural right to keep and bears arms (all weapons, not only firearms) is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution for the United States of America. As such, Article Five of the Constitution defines expressly how the Constitution may be amended (two-thirds of both the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives OR a national convention assembled at the request of the legislatures of at least two-thirds of the states; AND the request of legislatures of three-fourths of the states OR state-ratifying conventions of three-fourths of the states. Without amending the Constitution according to this constitutionally required method is, by itself, a violation of the Constitution.

Laws, on the other hand, can come and go quite easily requiring usually a simple majority vote of both the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives and the president's signature.

So, "the right to bear arms, like any law, can be changed" isn't an accurate statement.

Also, the recent affirmations of the Second Amendment in 2010 and 2012 by the U.S. Supreme Court, not to mention the inability of the Congress to adopt gun-control laws much less amend the Constitution, and ongoing public-opinion polling which shows that majorities of Americans support the Second Amendment for the defense of themselves, their families and friends against violent crime and government abuse suggests to me, at least, that changing the natural right to keep and bears arms isn't going away very soon.

Yes you are right, I was not accurate when stating changing "laws" versus amending the constitution. But we both agree that nothing is going to change any time soon.

But the definition of "arms" is interesting, I'd imagine some people could debate what that means. Knives and bats? Pistols? Machine guns? Obviously some arms are legal and other aren't.

jwfess
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2015, 3:28 pm

sly279 wrote:
in fact it would be average citizens not militias that would raise up to stop and fix, not overthrow a corrupt broken government. the result would be a similar government just with its unlawful obtained powers rolled back to the 1900s style it was suppose to be. if the gov suspends all bill of rights, then it is no longer a gov for the people by the people, but a government trying to create a dictatorship. if you are behind supporting that then you on the wrong side. yes they will then claim anyone fighting for the bill of rights to be terrorist or militia as a propaganda.

all comes down to point of view. I don't view those who would fight for freedom from this gov that has removed our rights that predate the us as a legit government. a show jericho was good at what could happen. finally the military decided they no longer recognized the new gov as legit.( in the show this gov was behind 26 nuke stricts on the us, and civil war, all to gain control and remove the bill of rights and fix what they saw as a weak nation)

I don't think a future government that takes away all our rights is impossible. probably far off though. the founders of our nation saw this as possible heck they'd just defeated one in a war, they new it was possible. we've seen other nations in recent times do this. to think it can't and won't happen in the us cause we are so amazing is living blind.

so yes any government and military that would remove our rights, oppress people, round them up and camps will get compared to nazis.

well being of society, well to be honest, a complete military control where the military controls everything we do, say, think and live. were theres border checks, chips in our arms, and we go from work to home only, would be great for our wellbeing. no one would die, we would be completely safe from dangers, this however would mean no freedom, to many freedom is way more important then well being. anyways only way since the legal way is impossible to do, would be for the gov/president to illegally remove the 2nd amendment. which is why such people fighting against this gov would not be illegal in their actions.

really don't see a point in talking to antis though, they live in a make beleive world.
as for wiped away with eas, looks what happens when one black guy is shot by a cop, now do that times millions. how about adding in no freedom of speech, no internet. people will go crazy rioting all over. and when the military starts popping shots into the crowd, you're get uprising like happen in the middle east.

Well your scenario is not what I was talking about. I was saying that if the government, by completely legal means "changed the law" (but what I meant was "amend the constitution") and banned firearms, then it would still be legitimate and any "freedom fighters" would be traitors. That is the only "right" that we currently have that I am suggesting the government would take away.

It has never been a government by the people, for the people. We elect representatives who have the power to make laws and amend the constitution if need be. Whatever they so, goes.

I much say I appreciate this discussion because I have not thought about this topic in depth before and you guys have interesting and nuanced perspectives on it.

jwfess
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2015, 3:39 pm

Raptor wrote:
jwfess wrote:
Sorry but not many US citizens are willing to fight and die for the right to bear arms.

No way of telling what they would do if the time came. It's not just for the love of firearms but one has to ask WHY the right to bear arms would be removed and the answer would indicate a malevolence. Besides, it's not gonna happen. The last 6 years has seen a huge increase of new gun owners.

Quote:
If you all want to congregate around an airfield have fun in your mass grave. There might be 270 million guns in the US but how many can pierce a M1 Abrams' armor or take down a Warthog? You can have all the assault rifles you want, all the government needs is a few GAU-8 Avengers to wipe your ass out.

Obviously, you don't target an A-10 or an M1A. For a militia it would be more about small unit tactics such as ambushes, hit & run raids, use of IED's or other boobie traps, sabotage, long range rifle work where a skilled rifleman or two take out a few targets then vanish.
It's called guerrilla warfare and I'm surprised at how many people are ignorant of it whenever this topic comes up.

Yes this is a hypothetical discussion, things aren't changing any time soon. But I enjoy hypothetical discussions.

But as to the why, I'm not sure it would be malevolence, just because people might look to gun policies and crime statistics in other "progressive" nations and believe there is a link. I don't think people who want to ban guns (I'm not one of them) have that opinion because they want the government to gain more power, nor do I think the government will become more dictatorial if its citizenry were unarmed.

The guerrilla war you described would be one way to go. But I'm not sure given the incredible amount of surveillance already present in this country, along with how easy it would be to infiltrate guerrilla groups (because they'd be American, not Vietnamese, Iraqi, Afghani, etc.), that it would be that effective.

Americans typically have a great life compared to the rest of the world. They have families, homes, cars, etc. They are much less willing to die for a cause than impoverished angry young men in 3rd world countries.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:38 pm

jwfess wrote:
...the definition of "arms" is interesting, I'd imagine some people could debate what that means. Knives and bats? Pistols? Machine guns? Obviously some arms are legal and other aren't.

Federally, individuals may own, possess and use "discriminate" weapons (meaning that they aren't likely to harm others if and when they are used defensively against a specific individual), but not "indiscriminate" weapons (various gases, bombs and nuclear devices). Also, federal laws actually allow individuals to own, possess and use otherwise exempt weapons (fully automatic firearms and various firearm attachments) if the individuals pass an FBI criminal-history review and pay for a $200 Federal Transfer Tax on each weapon purchased.

Each state has its own laws about what types of weapons are considered lawful (as long as the state laws comport to the federal laws), of course. In my own state, a "weapon" simply means any thing that can be used to cause intentional injury or death (firearms, knives, rocks, sticks, hands, motor-vehicles etc.), but only firearms are determined by law to be dangerous weapons which require their ownership, possession and use to be restricted in certain ways apart from the prohibition of the criminal use of any weapon.

I like the distinction between discriminate and indiscriminate weapons as the guide for whether they should be available for private ownership, possession and use. But, I admit that many states have laws which disregard that distinction.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 6:08 pm

There are, at this time, many who understand the government is only a "tool" of large corporations. Don't believe me??? Then just ask Dick Cheney (or filth of his ilk).

The people who control these corporations know there are many patriotic Americans who understand this.

When you add up corporate profits lost because of public insurrection, to say nothing of personal safety, the equation changes. This would be especially true because of the way many patriotic Americans (in all walks of life) think. Corporate directors understand this as well.

They know a conflict would not be confined to a nice tidy battlefield somewhere far away. They will never allow a situation where they can not ship product.

People in many foreign countries are sheep, but in countries where they are not, you see insurrection. Corporate America will not allow this to happen.

Many foreign posters to this forum will not believe this.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 5:39 am

jwfess wrote:

Ummm..., I think we ousted those governments pretty quickly. The rest of the military operations in those countries was not intended to be a conquest.

Do you not realize that ousting a government is very different from fighting an insurgency, particularly a domestic one, and that our success in toppling the Afghan and Iraqi regimes contrasts fairly starkly with our failure to gain control of either country?

Let me explain to you a little bit about how this would go. First, some numbers. Over 30% of Americans report owning guns, which is probably low for a variety of reasons, but lets just call that a nice even 100,000,000 people for the sake of argument. The US military has a combined active and reserve strength of 2,000,000-ish. Now, assuming a full on revolt is going on, some percentage of that military is either going to actively turn, while only a small percentage of firearms owners need to rise up in order to vastly outnumber the military.

Now, that doesn't even matter that much, nor does the fancy hardware possessed by the military, because of the style of conflict we're talking about here, guerrilla warfare, not conventional. Who needs to shoot down drones when the pilots can be killed (and I don't mean on the battlefield, I mean murdered)? Same with tanks and their operators, jets helicopters and their pilots, etc. In their homes, on their way to work, while they're off base, etc? How about their families? Politicians, active military, police, opposition, can all of them be protected at all times, along with their loved ones? The state can't fight that way, not without turning the population further against it, while those fighting the state are dispersed and difficult to target without causing unacceptable collateral damage, which would be impossible to conceal in this day and age. If you were in the government, would you be willing to spend the rest of your life in a gilded cage over what comes down to domestic policy? Nobody can't be gotten to, and frankly, that's a good thing.

Also, the GAU Avenger is a 30mm anti-tank weapon firing DU shells mounted to a jet, not exactly an anti-personnel weapon like you seem to think; maybe you should put down the Tom Clancy and learn about the subject at hand before commenting next time. Even if you'd picked a more appropriate weapon, like say an M134, it's still not applicable to the style of war being discussed, and kind of points to shallow understanding of military equipment and strategy.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 10:16 am

Dox47 wrote:
...Over 30% of Americans report owning guns, which is probably low for a variety of reasons, but lets just call that a nice even 100,000,000 people for the sake of argument. The US military has a combined active and reserve strength of 2,000,000-ish. Now, assuming a full on revolt is going on, some percentage of that military is either going to actively turn, while only a small percentage of firearms owners need to rise up in order to vastly outnumber the military....

Yep. We surround them. Remember that.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

jwfess
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

Dox47 wrote:
jwfess wrote:

Ummm..., I think we ousted those governments pretty quickly. The rest of the military operations in those countries was not intended to be a conquest.

Do you not realize that ousting a government is very different from fighting an insurgency, particularly a domestic one, and that our success in toppling the Afghan and Iraqi regimes contrasts fairly starkly with our failure to gain control of either country?

Let me explain to you a little bit about how this would go. First, some numbers. Over 30% of Americans report owning guns, which is probably low for a variety of reasons, but lets just call that a nice even 100,000,000 people for the sake of argument. The US military has a combined active and reserve strength of 2,000,000-ish. Now, assuming a full on revolt is going on, some percentage of that military is either going to actively turn, while only a small percentage of firearms owners need to rise up in order to vastly outnumber the military.

Now, that doesn't even matter that much, nor does the fancy hardware possessed by the military, because of the style of conflict we're talking about here, guerrilla warfare, not conventional. Who needs to shoot down drones when the pilots can be killed (and I don't mean on the battlefield, I mean murdered)? Same with tanks and their operators, jets helicopters and their pilots, etc. In their homes, on their way to work, while they're off base, etc? How about their families? Politicians, active military, police, opposition, can all of them be protected at all times, along with their loved ones? The state can't fight that way, not without turning the population further against it, while those fighting the state are dispersed and difficult to target without causing unacceptable collateral damage, which would be impossible to conceal in this day and age. If you were in the government, would you be willing to spend the rest of your life in a gilded cage over what comes down to domestic policy? Nobody can't be gotten to, and frankly, that's a good thing.

Also, the GAU Avenger is a 30mm anti-tank weapon firing DU shells mounted to a jet, not exactly an anti-personnel weapon like you seem to think; maybe you should put down the Tom Clancy and learn about the subject at hand before commenting next time. Even if you'd picked a more appropriate weapon, like say an M134, it's still not applicable to the style of war being discussed, and kind of points to shallow understanding of military equipment and strategy.

You didn't really address the other points I made on this hypothetical situation, but straw man arguments are always a way to make you feel good about how smart you are.

I like how you didn't include all the local police forces when assessing the numbers of personnel who would be involved with fighting the insurgency. Please explain to me how this would go more, wise sage. You've clearly thought of all the variables.

Americans are mostly soft though, when faced with the prospect of death they will put down their firearms. They are not used to living in huts and barely having enough food and water to live. Real insurgents don't have loving families and big homes they would risk losing. The amount of surveillance in the US is extensive, so any insurgents could be easily tracked and wiped out. In fact, I'm sure the government already has a list of the majority of people who would lead the insurgents. And it would be easy to infiltrate insurgent groups and take out the leaders because they're all American who speak English, not Vietnamese, Iraqi, Afghani. The idea that you could effectively organize an insurgency in the US as easily in other countries is way off base.

If you'd like to belittle my knowledge about military weapons, I hope you feel better about yourself. The exchange reveals much more about your warped psychology than my ability to memorize useless facts. I happen to spend my time learning about other things, but that doesn't mean I can't have some favorite guns to learn about. But your demand that I learn about military technology before I can even make a comment is an controlling impulse, and you have no control over me.

You seem to suggest that going on a mass murder spree to fight against a legal amendment to the constitution would garner support for the insurgents rather than the government? Please. The insurgents would be gutless terrorists, proud Americans would gladly see those traitors eviscerated.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

I just assume that anybody who supports gun control was never abducted, institutionalized, drugged, beaten, and raped over a period of years, without due process and on the taxpayers' dime.

Anybody who wants to remove my means of preventing that from happening to me again is just as much my enemy as the thugs who tortured me.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 12:53 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
I just assume that anybody who supports gun control was never abducted, institutionalized, drugged, beaten, and raped over a period of years, without due process and on the taxpayers' dime.

Anybody who wants to remove my means of preventing that from happening to me again is just as much my enemy as the thugs who tortured me.

Exactly why those in the federal government who support extreme gun control want so desperately to make defenseless victims out of citizens. The Second Amendment will be the last domino to fall if they get their way.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 1:04 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:

Exactly why those in the federal government who support extreme gun control want so desperately to make defenseless victims out of citizens. The Second Amendment will be the last domino to fall if they get their way.

If I'm reading you right, I think that's overly broad.

Proponents of gun control generally do seek to effect a ceteris paribus increase in each individual's probability of becoming victimized, but most don't intend such. Rather, most either have misplaced faith in the functional benevolence of government-as-a-whole (as opposed to that of the individuals comprising government), or else they don't mind a few cases like mine as long as the majority are kept safe (with undertones of "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas").

Not to say I discount their existence or the potential threat they pose, but I suspect it's very few proponents of gun control who seek to implement it for the purpose of violently exploiting it.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 1:25 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
...Proponents of gun control generally do seek to effect a ceteris paribus increase in each individual's probability of becoming victimized, but most don't intend such. Rather, most either have misplaced faith in the functional benevolence of government-as-a-whole (as opposed to that of the individuals comprising government), or else they don't mind a few cases like mine as long as the majority are kept safe (with undertones of "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas").

Not to say I discount their existence or the potential threat they pose, but I suspect it's very few proponents of gun control who seek to implement it for the purpose of violently exploiting it.

I agree that is usually true among citizens, but I singled out those gun-control supporters among our elected public officials. When U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein has a concealed-firearm permit (and has admitted to having possessed her firearm on the floor of the U.S. Senate, if she doesn't still do so), but acts and votes in ways to dismantle the Second Amendment, I can't see her actions as equitable or absent malice toward us simpletons who wish to enjoy the same rights she enjoys. While she is just one example, I blame others like her because they have done little or nothing to stop her and her cohorts. I see that fact as evidence that those in government are actively pursuing a double standard applied to the Second Amendment whereby the elite get to have guns while their "subjects" don't.

I suppose there might be some as you described among our elected officials who see little damage done to the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, but, for them, I blame the general dumbing down of our citizenry about all things constitutional.

I don't disagree with your details. I just wonder if the evidence we see isn't suggestive of a larger agenda, especially with the general trend among citizens, and our state and federal courts to appreciate and bolster the Second Amendment; in other words, maybe our successes are provoking their continue reactions despite our successes (a paradox?). :D

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 1:50 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
...Proponents of gun control generally do seek to effect a ceteris paribus increase in each individual's probability of becoming victimized, but most don't intend such. Rather, most either have misplaced faith in the functional benevolence of government-as-a-whole (as opposed to that of the individuals comprising government), or else they don't mind a few cases like mine as long as the majority are kept safe (with undertones of "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas").

I agree that is usually true among citizens, but I singled out those gun-control supporters among our elected public officials. When U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein has a concealed-firearm permit (and has admitted to having possessed her firearm on the floor of the U.S. Senate, if she doesn't still do so), but acts and votes in ways to dismantle the Second Amendment, I can't see her actions as equitable or absent malice toward us simpletons who wish to enjoy the same rights she enjoys. While she is just one example, I blame others like her because they have done little or nothing to stop her and her cohorts. I see that fact as evidence that those in government are actively pursuing a double standard applied to the Second Amendment whereby the elite get to have guns while their "subjects" don't.

I suppose there might be some as you described among our elected officials who see little damage done to the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, but, for them, I blame the general dumbing down of our citizenry about all things constitutional.

I don't disagree with your details. I just wonder if the evidence we see isn't suggestive of a larger agenda, especially with the general trend among citizens, and our state and federal courts to appreciate and bolster the Second Amendment; in other words, maybe our successes are provoking their continue reactions despite our successes (a paradox?). :D

I think you're attributing to malice that which is explicable by stupidity. I don't think allistic persons raised in highly organized societies are capable of perceiving social topologies which aren't endorsed by the organization(s) said individuals deem legitimate. Such is the burden of being a herd beast.

More plainly, I suspect Senator Feinstein et. al. are literally incapable of seeing any social issue not outlined in their party's platform. Since the Democratic Party doesn't define firearm ownership as a class issue, such people are incapable of conceiving of gun ownership as being reserved for the elite. Rather they truly, earnestly believe that gun ownership should be reserved for those with certain security risks which they view to be legitimate, and those who qualify just so happen to be the elite.

Bit off topic but, much as I despise politics, I could get behind a Democrat who pushed for gun redistribution rather than gun control. Empty out those police armories, organize and arm every neighborhood and community that has been living in fear of the police. It'll never happen though.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 1:56 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
...I could get behind a Democrat who pushed for gun redistribution rather than gun control. Empty out those police armories, organize and arm every neighborhood and community that has been living in fear of the police. It'll never happen though.

Haha! I agree completely. :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 4:19 pm

jwfess wrote:
You didn't really address the other points I made on this hypothetical situation, but straw man arguments are always a way to make you feel good about how smart you are.

Such as? Your argument seems to be 'the US military is so technologically advanced that resistance would be futile', which I refuted. If you're going to claim that you're being straw-manned, it helps if you point out where.

jwfess wrote:
I like how you didn't include all the local police forces when assessing the numbers of personnel who would be involved with fighting the insurgency. Please explain to me how this would go more, wise sage. You've clearly thought of all the variables.

Same as the military, only with less equipment and training and even more vulnerability, as they don't have barracks to live on. Ever seen the cops shoot? I have, hence part of the reason that I don't really consider them much of an issue, especially as they'd have many of the same divisions in loyalty that the military would.

jwfess wrote:
Americans are mostly soft though, when faced with the prospect of death they will put down their firearms.

Cite? Also, we're talking over 100 million people just among the directly gun owning, which as I previously said, means that only a small fraction need to do anything to cause serious trouble.

jwfess wrote:
They are not used to living in huts and barely having enough food and water to live. Real insurgents don't have loving families and big homes they would risk losing.

Who said anything about living in huts? We're not talking about Red Dawn here, you don't need to go off and live in the woods to occasionally murder a cop or a soldier or a politician, and if you're careful and don't talk about it, it's not even difficult to get away with. Crimes are typically solved after the fact by uncovering connections between the victim and the perpetrator, making random killings very difficult to solve barring a stupid mistake by the killer; again, maybe actually learn about things before posting?

jwfess wrote:
The amount of surveillance in the US is extensive, so any insurgents could be easily tracked and wiped out. In fact, I'm sure the government already has a list of the majority of people who would lead the insurgents. And it would be easy to infiltrate insurgent groups and take out the leaders because they're all American who speak English, not Vietnamese, Iraqi, Afghani. The idea that you could effectively organize an insurgency in the US as easily in other countries is way off base.

"Take out the leaders"? More Clancy... Technology cuts both ways, strong encryption is widely available, and if you really want to be secure, one time texts are actually unbreakable. Further, who needs leaders? All you need is a list on a website of who to kill and where they live, it's pretty simple. You can't seem to grasp that this is not a conventional conflict being discussed, this is the government being seen as illegitimate by a large enough number of people that actual fighting breaks out, which means a hostile environment for agents of the state, English speaking or not. Troops in the street and commando raids mean nothing when the people ordering those things are afraid to leave their houses, which is what the situation would actually be.

jwfess wrote:
If you'd like to belittle my knowledge about military weapons, I hope you feel better about yourself. The exchange reveals much more about your warped psychology than my ability to memorize useless facts. I happen to spend my time learning about other things, but that doesn't mean I can't have some favorite guns to learn about. But your demand that I learn about military technology before I can even make a comment is an controlling impulse, and you have no control over me.

I used the fact that you named a semi-obscure weapon but have no idea what it's actually used for to point out that you don't know what you're talking about and suggested that you might want to avoid that in the future so as to not appear ignorant; that's not control, that's advice. You also didn't seem to think the information was useless when you were attempting to use it to bolster your own credibility; I think I smell a bit of butthurt here...

jwfess wrote:
You seem to suggest that going on a mass murder spree to fight against a legal amendment to the constitution would garner support for the insurgents rather than the government? Please. The insurgents would be gutless terrorists, proud Americans would gladly see those traitors eviscerated.

So, do you actually work for DHS, or are you just hoping to some day?

jwfess
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm

Dox47, I'm not going to go back and forth any further with you over this hypothetical scenario, but I do disagree strongly with how you see this conflict panning out. Rest assured I've never read a page of Tom Clancy. Our predictions of human behavior vary too widely to find any common ground, and our assumptions of how the domestic terrorists would be organized and how the government would respond to this kind of situation are very far apart.

What I don't understand is why people would see the government as illegitimate, so much so as to become murderous terrorists in order to get their way. Our government is populated by politicians elected by the people, if they decide to change the laws, then that is legitimate. If someone disagrees and uses violence as a means to get their way, they seem much more like a member of al-Queda than an American who makes a positive contribution to society.