Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 8:05 pm

I read that eating grapefruit can affect how Abilify works. How will it affect it?

I get chills when I forget to take Abilify sometimes. Are the chills actually because I skipped it?

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

Grapefruit can affect a lot of medications (my Dad was given the same warning about his blood pressure medication). Essentially, there's a compound in grapefruit that makes it harder for your liver to metabolise certain medications, so they stay in your system longer. This can cause an overdose, because you take your next dose when you still have a lot of the previous dose in your system.

Xelatoneffer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Apr 2015, 1:46 pm

I was on Abilify for one year and it was a HUGE mistake! It made me want to sleep for 13 hours a day and I gained 80lbs in 8 months. It took me 2 years to lose that weight. It made me feel tired all day long and I would get muscle twitching in both hands. It also gave me dry mouth and made me sweat a lot.

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2015, 10:48 am

Abilify sent me to the emergency room with heart attack-like conditions.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 8:06 am

serenaserenaserena wrote:
I read that eating grapefruit can affect how Abilify works. How will it affect it?

I get chills when I forget to take Abilify sometimes. Are the chills actually because I skipped it?

Grapefruit affects how quickly a drug is metabolized usually meaning that it metabolizes it faster than it is supposed to be. This means that you may experience withdrawal like symptoms even if taking the drug because there is not enough of it in your system due to taking grapefruit or grapefruit juice.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult