Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 12:39 am

I only joined the Autism community a few of years ago and I've never gotten the AutismSpeaks hate until now. That video was god awful. How is it that at no point during production did anyone say, "Hey, guys... This might offend our target demographic..."? I mean, you wouldn't say anything like that to anyone about any condition. What in the world were they thinking?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 1:33 pm

Pileo wrote:
I only joined the Autism community a few of years ago and I've never gotten the AutismSpeaks hate until now. That video was god awful. How is it that at no point during production did anyone say, "Hey, guys... This might offend our target demographic..."? I mean, you wouldn't say anything like that to anyone about any condition. What in the world were they thinking?

Because Autistics were not the target demographic. Donors were. They were thinking scare the hell out of people, make them pity us so the people will hand over money to them. It worked so well that they became the group the media go to when they want a source for autism. While they have had a few setbacks due to many autistics fighting back and organizing a boycott of sponsors they still largely set the Autism agenda in the USA.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

eloralouistra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Feb 2015, 7:21 pm

I'm so proud we got an article - I hope it can help people stop their support of Autism Speaks.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:28 pm

Cool 8)