Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 12:50 am

For a few afternoons in a row, I have gone to bed for a nap. I set two loud alarms in the hallway (i.e. not in my bedroom in reach) to wake me up 20-30 minutes later. I then wake up at midnight or 1am with both alarms disabled, and I often wake up with different items of clothing on and certain parts of my house reorganised illogically.

I am scared to go to sleep at night now as I am worried I won't wake up for uni due to my sleepwalking switching my alarms off.

In fact I don't want to sleep at all as I fear I could hurt myself in my sleep. But I know I need sleep as a human.

I've been thinking about sleeping during the day and being awake all night.

I don't know what to do, I keep missing my night meds and having to take them in the early hours of the morning.

And I'm scared of missing uni.

Advice?

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 7:30 am

You should mention these symptoms to your psychiatrist or doctor. Sleeping pills and other sedative/hypnotic drugs can cause this side-effect but you probably know far more about that than I do. It does sound potentially dangerous and seriously disruptive. My mild sensory issues are always made much worse by lack of sleep.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 3:53 pm

Will do. Yes you're right, some medications can cause sleepwalking and reduction of REM sleep. However I haven't been put on anything new for several months now.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 3:07 pm

Also, you could try getting a combination lock on your bedroom door. Hopefully your sleepwalking self won't be able to do the combination.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

Sleepwalking interestingly decreased on starting mirtazapine for OCD.