Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MightyOfus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2015, 6:27 pm

Hello, everyone!

My name is Patrick. I'm 26 years old. I'm currently in college with the goal of becoming an middle/high school math or science teacher. I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was a child, but I never understood what is was or how it was affecting me until about five years ago - and I had to lose a few friends, as well as a fiance, to do it. Since then, I've been trying to learn everything I could so that I can interact with people better.

I must say, I'm quite impressed with this place. How have I gone so long without knowing that it exists? This page has so much information, not just about Aspergers, but FOR people WITH Aspergers. And I think that's fantastic. In just an hour or so on this site, I can reasonably conclude that this is exactly what a person with Aspergers needs: Articles that can explain how the world works, put in terms for people who are not hard-wired to understand it. I plan to spend a lot more time here in the future.

I a HUGE sci-fi nerd: Star Trek has been my passion since I was a child, and I run a text-based role-playing group on Tuesday nights where we tell our own stories within the Star Trek universe (P.S. - Not to brag, but you should see some of the stories we've written - your mind would be blown). I recently discovered Doctor Who a year or two ago, and I honestly can't get enough (Side note: How is EVERYONE not watching this?! Believe me, I have taken extensive measures to correct that). I also enjoy gaming. I have a twitch page where I primarily play Age of Empires against my friends late into the night (I'm not that good yet, but I'm working on it).

Since learning about my disability, it's become easier for me to interact with people, but I still suffer many of the drawbacks: I'm terrible with the ladies. I'm not always good at taking care of my personal hygiene. And my job doesn't always accommodate my needs. For example, Vyvanse is amazing, but it kills you if you don't eat. And my job seems to think the fact that "we're busy" takes presence over a panic attack (which is why I'm currently looking for a new job). I also struggle with self-esteem. I know I'm different, and sometimes it makes me feel... I don't know. Broken? I tend to pick and choose my friends carefully because not everybody is considerate enough to even try and understand what I'm going through. Like, since I have Aspergers, I'm usually pretty good at picking out other people who have it, too (or some other kind of invisible disability). I just wish that normal people could do that. They're supposed to be "better" at this social thing, right?

That being said, I'm a pretty happy person most days. Work sucks, and school is challenging. And it kind of lonely when you don't have a girl around. But as long as I have my family, my friends, and unlimited Star Trek on Netflix to relax to at the end of the day, that's all I really need. :-P

I'm really looking forward to exploring this community and making friends like me. :-P

Let_It_Go
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2015, 7:54 pm

Welcome!

I'm also a nerd! Is your text based game a dice rolling sort of RPG, or is it more a writing a story sort of RPG? If I knew more about Star Trek, I would be beyond enthusiastic about possibly joining the group! ;) Doctor Who is a great show, too. :)

(As a side-note, yes, I saw your PM. :P )

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 8:36 pm

Hey Patrick welcome. :sunny:

MightyOfus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2015, 9:58 pm

Let_It_Go wrote:
Welcome!

I'm also a nerd! Is your text based game a dice rolling sort of RPG, or is it more a writing a story sort of RPG? If I knew more about Star Trek, I would be beyond enthusiastic about possibly joining the group! ;) Doctor Who is a great show, too. :)

(As a side-note, yes, I saw your PM. :P )

It's a story-based RPG. I give you a premise, and everyone plays the story out like it's a normal episode of the show. It's up to you to make yourself important - How would your character react if it was fighting a Klingon, or if it switched bodies with another crewmate, or if you were stranded on a planet with that one crewmate your character absolutely CANNOT STAND? :-P

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:26 pm

I too am a deadly serious Trekkie. My obsession however has more to do with making phantasmal technologies a reality. Lately it's a nonstop labor of love - I leave my 3D modeling gig & study code until my brain's numb.

I've been meaning to torrent AOE II for some (w)LAN partying lately. I played that as a robotics club palette cleanser of sorts, PM me if you want a br0074Lly 1337 opponent. I make it rain Chu Ko Nu.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: