Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 6:27 am

Could Psychosis or schizophrenia coincide with autism? Or can visualizing and hearing sounds louder and occasionally not there things make it hard understand schizophrenia versus autism

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:20 pm

Yes, it can, but to be diagnosed with both, you have to have clearly met criteria for autism before the psychosis started, since pretty much every autistic trait can be a result of psychosis.

With regards to the sensory aspects, all the things that autistics perceive are actually there. Autism can make a person have more acute senses, so for example being able to hear a sound too soft or high-pitched for others to hear, but it's still an actual sound being made by something.

In contrast, one of the defining features of psychosis is perceiving things that aren't really there. That would be the key trait to distinguish autistic sensory processing issues from an actual psychosis.

nyxzee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2015, 7:23 pm

I have psychotic depression, though I've only developed the psychosis within the last few months, so I know it's possible to have both. I'm not schizophrenic, but sometimes I hear voices and get delusional. My psychs are adamant that this is from the depression though, so I'm not sure if it really answers your question.