Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

squirenonny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2015, 12:54 pm

So I'm an allistic writer (mostly young adult fantasy), and very interested in writing diverse characters--including, but not limited to, autistic characters. I've done research--books, blogs, YouTube, forums--but I'm still allistic. What do you all think I should do to make sure my character doesn't become one of the many stereotypical, offensive autistic characters out there?

Also, if anyone would like to give direct feedback on my novel, that would be fantastic!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:20 am

what does allistic mean

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2015, 10:27 am

vermontsavant wrote:
what does allistic mean

Allistic means neurotypical, not autistic. It was invented to have a more equivalent term that reflects the nonexistence of "normal," I think.

You're off to a great start just by understanding that something might go wrong. May I recommend you read the "Hollywood Autism" page at TVTropes to see what not to do?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:16 am

For high-functioning characters, I'd recommend a flat affect, little emotional engagement, formalized speech with polysyllabic words, non-mainstream interests, and an odd sense of humor. Make them tolerant of bright lights, crowds and loud noises for short periods of time. Otherwise, fully capable of interacting with others and taking care of themselves.

For medium-functioning characters, leave out the eye contact, make their selectively mute, make their movements seem as if the person perceives his or her environment as fragile or hazardous, and occasionally needing guidance in what to do in any given situation. They should be intolerant of crowds, bright lights, and loud noises. Routine becomes important.

For low-functioning characters, then occasionally catatonic, stimming, non-verbal, clumsy with a shuffling gait, intolerant of any sudden changes in his or her environment.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 12:26 pm

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" was written by a neurotypical. I thought the autistic character was well done.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2015, 7:02 pm

I think the easiest option would be to find an Autistic you know and base your character on them.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2015, 12:58 pm

I suggest focus on how other people react to the little things they notice. "Something about the way he/she walks" "sits with us but doesnt join in the conversation" "handshake isnt right" "not much eye contact so I dont feel safe" etc and oh yeh, the bullying which you can search for here. Otherwise you have to make things obvious and stereotypical so you can write about them.

For many most things don't rate a mention but its how other people notice little things and react. Generally people dont say anything but I become an acquaintance of an outspoken person who after a while read out a mental list of a things he noticed. It was like a checklist for topics on this site. Made me wonder how many people notice little things, say nothing but use them base their opinions on you.

There's a saying around these parts, "You don't suffer from Aspergers. You suffer from other people."

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:01 pm

Just write a good character and don't be fearful. If you've done your research, then you have a reasonable idea of what Autism is and is not, and the kind of experiences real people go through. If gender and species doesn't restrict other writers from the characters they want, then this shouldn't restrict you from writing a non-offensive character with Autism.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:21 pm

Don't make the character the robotic "little professor" stereotype who is a genius but has no clue about anything to do with emotions or social skills. Give him/her some degree of self-awareness and awareness of others. Read around here to see how real autistic people think and experience the world.

Good luck! If you publish your novel, I'll definitely read it. I love books about people with autism.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:21 am

It's difficult to give tips without first seeing the ideas you have. In general, I'd say don't give him/her every symptonm, cut out a few symptoms that aren't essential for diagnosis. After all, all autistics are different and I don't know any who exhibit every symptom. Also keep in mind that the symptoms aren't usually absolutes. For example, some may generally struggle with metaphors but be able to understand one here or there.

Thanks for seeking input from autistics and best of luck in your writing.

squirenonny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2015, 1:16 am

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! They're very helpful. :)

@PlainsAspie: Since you mentioned it, here's a little more about the character. He's eighteen years old and grew up in a noble family that's heavily involved in court politics. He was pushed into the political arena at a fairly young age. He relies on social scripts a lot and spent a lot of time watching the other nobles interact. Politics is exhausting and frustrating for him, so he avoids it when he can, and he's not a master schemer (or interested in becoming one) but can suffer through formal events when his father forces him to attend.

He stims sometimes, and especially when he's stressed. Finger tapping, rubbing the strap of his bag, and playing with stim toys are the most common. He also rocks when he gets overwhelmed. He can handle chaotic, noisy environments for short periods of time, or when he's not already tired and/or stressed from dealing with other things. He avoids eye contact, or only makes eye contact briefly and deliberately.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2015, 11:13 pm

I know that I'm posting on an inactive thread, but I found this article that gives some ethical guidelines to depicting disability. The main thing is to get input from disabled people, and if you can't do that remember to stress their humanity over stereotypes.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2015, 9:01 am

Here's an example on a recent thread (although I've seen this topic before).

PPL Think you're gay thread

See how an autistic persons mileage may vary from non-autistic.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2015, 10:04 pm

squirenonny wrote:
What do you all think I should do to make sure my character doesn't become one of the many stereotypical, offensive autistic characters out there?

Some research

(PS that's not meant to be offensive so please don't take it that way)

Silas 112
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm

There is a comic called Daredevil: Wake Up wich features an autistic and abused kid. It's dark but really good, I recommend checking it out.

squirenonny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2015, 12:09 am

Thanks to SpaceAgeBushRanger and flamingshorts for the links. Very helpful!

sonicallysensitive: No offense taken. :)

Silas 112: Thanks for the rec. I'll check it out!