Out in Public Wearing an Indian Chief's Head Dress?

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 6:09 pm

I would wear this one:

http://indianheaddress.com/collections/ ... AseH8P8HAQ

Besides, Cossack warriors had feathery things, just not War Bonnets. A winged Hussar. I would tell them I am honoring my Hussar ancestors with a War Bonnet because it's similar to the wings of the Hussar. My ancestors have a proud heritage, too. It's not exactly the same, but similar. I would feel like the War Bonnet was my wings.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 6:36 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Soon most "white people" in the US will have Indian ancestery, because of the huge influx of Hispanic people.

Also, going to the Indian museum in DC , you will see white people with names like 'little bear" or "little foot" telling you about their Indian ancestery.

It's not that easy because you have to have proof and many tribes are no longer accepting new members, meaning, your parents have to be members of the tribe for you to be accepted.

My point is that soon it will be approporiate for most anyone to wear Indian items because they will have Indian ancestery. Soon 1/3 of America will be Hispanic. Looks like the majority of Americans will be part Indian in the near future.

HA! the best EVENTUAL revenge against foreign invaders...

Out reproducing the 'weaker' ones.. who JUST DON'T DO 'IT' or protect themselves against IT..;)

Humans..

the smartest species on the planet...

HEHE! ;)

hmm.. maybe the POTENTIAL is still there..

i'll keep the faith...:)

THAt pArt can't hurt....;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:03 pm

I don't know much about Native American culture, but my understanding is that the war bonnet is only worn by great warriors and heroes of their tribe. It's something that must be earned, and worn with great respect. And even then, it's not like they just walk around wearing it. It's for ceremonial use only, like a dress uniform in the military.

So no. I'd say wearing a feathered bonnet is a very, very bad idea.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It's not their fault Native Americans created something so beautiful and attractive. If it looked like a hijab rather than beautiful plumage, the dilemma wouldn't exist.

Ahem. I wear a hijab. 8)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm

Barchan wrote:
I don't know much about Native American culture, but my understanding is that the war bonnet is only worn by great warriors and heroes of their tribe. It's something that must be earned, and worn with great respect. And even then, it's not like they just walk around wearing it. It's for ceremonial use only, like a dress uniform in the military.

So no. I'd say wearing a feathered bonnet is a very, very bad idea.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It's not their fault Native Americans created something so beautiful and attractive. If it looked like a hijab rather than beautiful plumage, the dilemma wouldn't exist.

Ahem. I wear a hijab. 8)

The hijab isn't very ornate but the War Bonnet is. Think of crowns and stuff like that. Kings and princes, various royals, used to be the only ones who could wear them and they believed it was earned by pedigree. Nowadays, in the west, anyone can wear a crown if they can afford one and want to badly enough. A royal will not get angry over it. Same idea with a War Bonnet. It has a special ceremonial place but it is not any more sacred than any other article of clothing.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Think of crowns and stuff like that ... anyone can wear a crown if they can afford one and want to badly enough. A royal will not get angry over it. Same idea with a War Bonnet.

That's a bit of a false equivalence, because European royalty are privileged and wealthy. They're not a marginalized group living on white imperialists' allowance like Native Americans are.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:39 pm

Barchan wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Think of crowns and stuff like that ... anyone can wear a crown if they can afford one and want to badly enough. A royal will not get angry over it. Same idea with a War Bonnet.

That's a bit of a false equivalence, because European royalty are privileged and wealthy. They're not a marginalized group living on white imperialists' allowance like Native Americans are.

I understand colonial government were horrible to Native Americans, I live in the state designated as the Indian state, and am familiar with removal acts and the history of Native Americans plus my ancestors came from a country that had been invaded and partitioned and has experienced a genocide so I am in touch with these realities.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 1:25 pm

HEY, even, gay MALE 'Indians' DO IT (wear the Sioux Indian Headdress) FREELY.. ON YOUTUBE MUSIC videos, at least..;)

It's considered MACHO in some 'arenas'....

HEY.. HEY.. Hey hey hey hey..

MACHO MACHO MACHO MAN.. i wanna be a......;)

"lighten up..it's like living in the LIGHT....."

(:quote by me; originated JUST NOW;)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 2:58 am

Heh, I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Village People. :P Damn it, now I have YMCA stuck in my head. I HATE that song, it's just so annoying!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 3:10 am

ominous wrote:
Yes, we find this incredibly offensive. Don't do it. Figure out what your own Indigenous culture is and celebrate that by wearing clothing that is 'original' to your own people.

http://nativeappropriations.com/?s=headdress

People should stick to their own kind; whites and coloureds shouldn't mix.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 3:28 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Heh, I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Village People. :P Damn it, now I have YMCA stuck in my head. I HATE that song, it's just so annoying!

I don't like YMCA either but Macho Man has always been fun for me.

It's just so ironic it makes me wanna PEE, with laughter, as I grew up around literally thousands of Patriarchal so-called macho homophobes.

And they still amuse me, as the only real PATRIARCHAL homophobes are folks who are afraid THEY are homosexual.

And that's sad, as THEY might not be expressing themselves fully out of the closet...:)

But some do still meet in public parks, thinking folks don't notice.....

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:10 am

aghogday wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It's just so ironic it makes me wanna PEE, with laughter, as I grew up around literally thousands of Patriarchal so-called macho homophobes.

And they still amuse me, as the only real PATRIARCHAL homophobes are folks who are afraid THEY are homosexual.

And that's sad, as THEY might not be expressing themselves fully out of the closet...:)

I know what you mean. There's tons of guys like that around here, who drive big obnoxiously loud trucks, brag about how many women they've allegedly slept with, etc. To me, REAL men have class and sophistication, and are willing to treat other people with respect.

I don't get why so many people think being gay is such a bad thing, because it's really not. If anything, it's a good thing since it helps to curb overpopulation, and I think that's what its purpose is in nature. Unfortunately, human society, as f****d up as it is, has made homosexuality an unacceptable thing, for the most part, so many people have to hide it, or even worse, fake being straight which sort of defeats the biological purpose of it.

Anyway, case in point, my dislike of YMCA is purely for musical reasons. ;) I could care less if one of my favorite artists is gay or not. Judas Priest are awesome, and they helped popularize the leather biker look.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 2:59 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I know what you mean. There's tons of guys like that around here, who drive big obnoxiously loud trucks, brag about how many women they've allegedly slept with, etc. To me, REAL men have class and sophistication, and are willing to treat other people with respect.

I don't get why so many people think being gay is such a bad thing, because it's really not. If anything, it's a good thing since it helps to curb overpopulation, and I think that's what its purpose is in nature. Unfortunately, human society, as f****d up as it is, has made homosexuality an unacceptable thing, for the most part, so many people have to hide it, or even worse, fake being straight which sort of defeats the biological purpose of it.

Anyway, case in point, my dislike of YMCA is purely for musical reasons. ;) I could care less if one of my favorite artists is gay or not. Judas Priest are awesome, and they helped popularize the leather biker look.

Next question I want to ask is if you are Native American, do you like The Village People?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Next question I want to ask is if you are Native American, do you like The Village People?

The one member of the Village People who wears a head dress (back in the Seventies he wore just one feather, but now he wears the whole war bonnet) is also the one member who is also a real ethnic native American. The whole act evolved out of Greenwhich Village gay nightclub subculture- dancers as common American icons of male sexiness: cops, construction workers, and both cowboys, and Indians. Since it implies that guys in Native American garb are macho and sexy I would think that it would be taken as a compliment.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 1:03 pm

Just wikied the Village People.

Felipe Rose (the Indian guy) is half Puerto Rican, and half Sioux. So he is even of the right tribe to wear the Sioux war bonnet.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Just wikied the Village People.

Felipe Rose (the Indian guy) is half Puerto Rican, and half Sioux. So he is even of the right tribe to wear the Sioux war bonnet.

Let's hope it's true and he's not just making it up to appease people. Maybe it is true because no one has disputed the claim. I take what people say with a grain of salt, sometimes. Depends on what it is.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm

Back to the topic, what better compliment is there than saying, you know, what you created is so beautiful I want to wear it everyday because I love it so. That sounds like quite an honor to me.