ISIS is the real-life GLA? (Politics/Gaming thread)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:26 am

I was wondering whether I have to post this in P&R or in gaming section, for those who played the 2003's classic (Command and Conquers: Generals) - don't you find it's ironic how GLA...turned into a reality -as ISIS?

GLA was a fictional faction in the game.

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Global_Liberation_Army

In game, GLA is portrayed as a bunch of non-state army and their Islamist ideology is obviously portrayed (even if it's not verbally mentioned as Islamist). Their main cash source was the black markets, their weapon sources from salvaged arms and arms trade, and their main war tactics are stealth and indirect confrontation and their expansion strategy is by instilling fear in local territories.

From the wiki page:

Quote:
The GLA recruited their troops mainly from the angry, desperate, disenfranchised and disillusioned people of the Third World. They can be easily indoctrinated into the GLA cause. There were no shortage of these recruits, and the GLA is able to build up their forces quickly to challenge their militarily-superior foes on the battlefield. The typical GLA infantry is armed with cheap weapons and often have little training, although the GLA employed overwhelming numbers and the element of surprise to challenge and defeat their foes. Some were so fanatical as to strap bombs to their own bodies and sacrifice themselves in an attack on any enemy.

Quote:
The aspiring freedom fighters and desperate fanatics who made up its ranks often truly believed they are standing up for the downtrodden peoples of the world, in spite of the fact that they often killed civilians who got in their way. During its existence, the GLA succeeded in inspiring a great fanaticism among its considerable number of followers, to the point where many were willing to kill themselves for the cause.

The GLA managed to gain the support of many of the world's disenfranchised peoples. Its splinter cells are scattered around the world. In certain areas, the GLA acted as the de facto government (as was the situation in Mogadishu, Somalia). The GLA also used the media to spread their propaganda - ARC News is allegedly funded by the GLA or one of their backers, and it is through this channel that the GLA leadership issues official statements.

Quote:
The GLA claim to be liberating oppressed peoples from imperialists. In reality, civilians were often the victims of GLA aggression. In fact, collateral damage was of little concern to GLA commanders as they believed in the absolute righteousness of their cause. Civilians receiving UN foreign aid were dismissed as 'sheep' to be killed if necessary. When the GLA attacked or took control of an area, civilians would almost certainly be caught up in the fighting. The GLA also committed atrocities such as testing their biological weapons on civilian populations deemed sympathetic to their enemies. In short, civilian casualties are considered necessary to sacrifice for the noble cause.

Traitors to the GLA are not taken kindly either, a splinter cell that defected to the Chinese were wiped out using their very own weapons their new allies (stolen by the original GLA) had provided them with. In general, the GLA will go to the extremes, perhaps even the impossible to eliminate their enemies they claim as "infidels".

Quote:
A visitor to a typical GLA base - if he or she managed to evade an untimely bloody death at the hands of the defenders - will find a lot of tunnels. The GLA tunnel networks are one of the wonders of modern warfare. It allows GLA units to travel quickly and in comparative safety anywhere where there is a tunnel entrance, and also serve as arms depots and field hospitals.

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/iraq-isis-has- ... deo-613899

There's also this youtube channel, and they seem made some ISIS-related videos O_O

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaQ5oR ... lREkn5yFrg

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:01 pm

ISIS doesn't really use stealth. In the siege of Kobane it tried to use conventional warfare.

The flaw of being a 'state', is you are subject to the weakness of a state. If you are just an entity that just melts away, and inspire more of the same, they they can carry on begin PITA as long as they have followers.

ISIS is trying to be a caliphate but they have got their work cut out maintaining it.

Their influence is actually bigger than the routes they control. They control roads, tracks and river valleys, They had some tanks, and heavy weaponry (not thanks to some 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' morons). As their capacity is reduced to Toyota trucks, they will struggle against a more capable force. They will probably revert to the same asymmetric tactics they used when they were AQI.

It would be easier though it there wasn't so much fatalism, and self-abasement.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:46 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I was wondering whether I have to post this in P&R or in gaming section, for those who played the 2003's classic (Command and Conquers: Generals) - don't you find it's ironic how GLA...turned into a reality -as ISIS?

I don't think so. The GLA always struck me as a arbitrary mish mash of middle eastern stereotypes of everything from that region that was supposed to be anti-western from Colonel Gadaffi to Al Quaeda which is in itself pretty ridiculous as many of the arab factions hate each other as much as they hate the west. I wouldnt go looking for any real world equivalency here, its far too broad a bogeyman that was invented for no purpose other than to sell games.

That wasn't even the thing which irritated me the most about Generals though. I hated the way that the end game of the Chinese campaign was to destroy the GLA rather than to go on to take America on. There was an extra five or six missions there at least.

My deviant art profile

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 1:40 pm

I think ISIS is more like the Brotherhood of NOD from the earlier games, just substitute oil for Tiberium.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 11:19 pm

staremaster wrote:
I think ISIS is more like the Brotherhood of NOD from the earlier games, just substitute oil for Tiberium.

Nod weren't backward as*holes though and promoted foward thinking (the technology of peace).

The Nod religion seems pretty progressive to me. If it existed i'd probably join up. Also Kane would make an awesome leader.

My deviant art profile

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 1:50 am

game... real
real... game
(says he, looking between his two hands)

huge difference

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.