Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:51 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem like the more that too many people on online gaming circles try to be cocky and arrogant, the more infantile they end up appearing?

And this is a culture that seems to embrace and encourage that kind of conduct.

It kinda makes me slightly ashamed to enjoy video games as much as I do. It is a shame that the people who rant the loudest and speak with the most profane of tongues get the most attention, especially in gamer culture.

I am a recreational gamer, however. A "scrub", so they say. Better to be a scrub and not live in my parents' basement, I think.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2015, 5:20 pm

I'm not particularly fond of a good deal of gamer culture either due to the overwhelming amount of immaturity that is, like you said, generally accepted and encouraged by the community imo. Thankfully things like you mentioned are easy enough to avoid and don't have to take away from one's own enjoyment of video games.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm

KagamineLen wrote:

I am a recreational gamer, however. A "scrub", so they say. Better to be a scrub and not live in my parents' basement, I think.

So that is what that means, good to know for future reference I play League of Legends and someone who was b*tching at me called me that, and well I mostly do play games for fun....if I got good at one and someone wanted to pay me to be in some sort of promotional video or something that would be cool but I don't play as if I am counting on it. A lot of people get on games thinking they'll become some kind of pro and blame everyone else in team games if they lose because they can't stand looking anything less than 'great'...even if the real reality is they weren't doing very well at playing that round them-self. But I find it best to just do my best to ignore the b*tchyness aspect that tends to come with the territory of video games....some people do act like little fit throwing kids, its unfortunate if they are the ones who get the most attention and are the sort of image someone imagines when they picture someone who enjoys video games.

And people who ongoingly complain about 'noobs' though this happens on some online forums to....its like, well der weren't you all noobs at one point, it seems much more effective to help said 'noobs' like try and help them out to learn the game and how to play better....instead of yelling at them for being a new player like wtf.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 7:45 pm

I find a disturbing amount of people who are *literally* immature (as in children) are online playing games meant for people 18 and over. I know most parents wouldn't let their kids watch an R-rated movie so why do they still think all video games are for kids? How is it so for them to understand? I just want to yell at the kid, "Why are you even playing this, go play some Mario or something!"

And of course, a lot of players are old enough to play online M-rated games but they're sure a long way from being mature. If I could I'd suggest playing something more suitable, like a PC game with that talking car Putt-Putt or Freddi Fish. :lol:

Anyway, a recreational gamer or "scrub", isn't that someone who plays games to have fun? Is that wrong, now??

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:04 pm

Quote:
I find a disturbing amount of people who are *literally* immature (as in children) are online playing games meant for people 18 and over.

This. My husband used to play Assassin's Creed online, and there were always high-pitched little kids running around in the same games as foul-mouthed men. Video games and online gaming have been around long enough now for ALL parents to know better, regardless of whether they are gamers themselves. It's just laziness and a lack of concern.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 9:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
KagamineLen wrote:

So that is what that means, good to know for future reference I play League of Legends and someone who was b*tching at me called me that, and well I mostly do play games for fun....if I got good at one and someone wanted to pay me to be in some sort of promotional video or something that would be cool but I don't play as if I am counting on it. A lot of people get on games thinking they'll become some kind of pro and blame everyone else in team games if they lose because they can't stand looking anything less than 'great'...even if the real reality is they weren't doing very well at playing that round them-self. But I find it best to just do my best to ignore the b*tchyness aspect that tends to come with the territory of video games....some people do act like little fit throwing kids, its unfortunate if they are the ones who get the most attention and are the sort of image someone imagines when they picture someone who enjoys video games.

And people who ongoingly complain about 'noobs' though this happens on some online forums to....its like, well der weren't you all noobs at one point, it seems much more effective to help said 'noobs' like try and help them out to learn the game and how to play better....instead of yelling at them for being a new player like wtf.

"Scrub" means someone that is A: too new to the game to know what's going on, B: really bad at it, or C: both. The term is mostly used as an insult designed to boost up the one using the insult. They can feel superior to whoever they're throwing it at.

I hear it the most often in the fighting-game community. So often. Often for no reason. I'm usually the one winning, against basically anyone, but some of them will still throw that at me WHILE getting utterly erased. It's kinda pathetic, really.

And yeah, the "insult the n00bs instead of helping them" is all sorts of illogical, but they'll do it for a couple of reasons: 1. in team games they often have to team up with those new players, which can cost them the match, 2. they're just "n00bs", they're inferior by default, they cant be helped!! !! and so on.

Nothing that can be done about these issues except to ignore them, unfortunately.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:02 pm

Misery wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
KagamineLen wrote:

"Scrub" means someone that is A: too new to the game to know what's going on, B: really bad at it, or C: both. The term is mostly used as an insult designed to boost up the one using the insult. They can feel superior to whoever they're throwing it at.

I hear it the most often in the fighting-game community. So often. Often for no reason. I'm usually the one winning, against basically anyone, but some of them will still throw that at me WHILE getting utterly erased. It's kinda pathetic, really.

And yeah, the "insult the n00bs instead of helping them" is all sorts of illogical, but they'll do it for a couple of reasons: 1. in team games they often have to team up with those new players, which can cost them the match, 2. they're just "n00bs", they're inferior by default, they cant be helped!! ! ! and so on.

Nothing that can be done about these issues except to ignore them, unfortunately.

I've pretty much given up on Call of Duty. While I am decent at it I'm not good enough to play it. I was told by my sibling to be silent about it.

I'm mostly into fighting games, but I'm into games like PaRappa the Rapper, Bayonetta, Resident Evil and other games. I would rather stick to stuff I know than make a laughingstock out of myself.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:15 pm

Misery wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
KagamineLen wrote:

And yeah, the "insult the n00bs instead of helping them" is all sorts of illogical, but they'll do it for a couple of reasons: 1. in team games they often have to team up with those new players, which can cost them the match, 2. they're just "n00bs", they're inferior by default, they cant be helped!! ! ! and so on.

Seems like it, it also interferes with game play I mean sure I've gotten sucked into that trap of responding to those b*tchy people and then of course losing focus on the game getting worked up about that which doesn't help anything. I also do my part to avoid pushing people away that might want to get into something...on account of them being new to it. I mean hell I had no idea what in the hell was going on in that game when I first started playing just figured I'd give it a go since my brother and an acquaintance of ours kept bugging me to try it especially since its free....since then I know a lot of how it works but beings I was quite a noob initially, I can't really give people too much crap about that I find it better to just be helpful, unless their being a real a** like acting like they where born pro and calling you names if you try to help like some know it all.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:

I've pretty much given up on Call of Duty. While I am decent at it I'm not good enough to play it. I was told by my sibling to be silent about it.

I'm mostly into fighting games, but I'm into games like PaRappa the Rapper, Bayonetta, Resident Evil and other games. I would rather stick to stuff I know than make a laughingstock out of myself.

Is Call of Duty multiplayer online now? I remember back when I was a teen and me and my siblings had an xbox for a while till it stopped working I had got COD 3 I think, the one where it takes place in WW2 mostly because I was fascinated about that part of history but i thought it was largely single player...so either its changed or I simply did not know it had multiplayer features that would give one opportunity to make a laughing stock of them-self. I've known about that zombies settings for the one COD game however.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Is Call of Duty multiplayer online now? I remember back when I was a teen and me and my siblings had an xbox for a while till it stopped working I had got COD 3 I think, the one where it takes place in WW2 mostly because I was fascinated about that part of history but i thought it was largely single player...so either its changed or I simply did not know it had multiplayer features that would give one opportunity to make a laughing stock of them-self. I've known about that zombies settings for the one COD game however.

It's both. I don't play multiplayer though.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:27 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

It's both. I don't play multiplayer though.

I was disappointed with the one I got, that I mentioned....It turns out I really do not like first person shooters or other first person perspective video games. I prefer third where you control your character and see them from behind or above depending on game format, and am better at those kinds of games.

Also I don't like X-box for some reason playing games on that system makes me nauseous whereas that doesn't happen with Playstation though if I play a game too long I might get a little disoriented from staring at the screen too long...but that's different.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:17 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Seems like it, it also interferes with game play I mean sure I've gotten sucked into that trap of responding to those b*tchy people and then of course losing focus on the game getting worked up about that which doesn't help anything. I also do my part to avoid pushing people away that might want to get into something...on account of them being new to it. I mean hell I had no idea what in the hell was going on in that game when I first started playing just figured I'd give it a go since my brother and an acquaintance of ours kept bugging me to try it especially since its free....since then I know a lot of how it works but beings I was quite a noob initially, I can't really give people too much crap about that I find it better to just be helpful, unless their being a real a** like acting like they where born pro and calling you names if you try to help like some know it all.

The dumb part is that the players doing the insulting and the whining are usually bloody terrible at the game in question themselves; often, the problem they're moaning about is in fact THEIR fault. But they'll never admit this, or more likely, not even notice it (thinking they're so awesome and all), so it MUST be everyone else's fault.

In addition, the moment they start with the name-calling is the moment when THEY stop paying attention to the game and become a detriment to the entire team.

Best response is to just insta-mute them. If a player warrants a mute though, it's best to consider them a hazard, and make certain that you not only dont rely on them in any situation, but also to have very low expectations of their performance, so that you yourself are not suddenly surprised and defeated by them not doing something important in a tough fight or something.

Probably the worst example of that type of jerk that I've run into happened at an anime convention, in the gameroom. Playing Guilty Gear Accent Core on the PS2 with random people, and this guy walks up, figures he'll have a go. He used Venom, who can place these ball things in the air and then swat them at you with a billiard stick or whatever it's called. My main in that series is Bridget, and I'm also a cosplayer; because of the fact that I was cosplaying as Bridget, the guy likely took a low opinion of me, figuring that a silly cosplayer is probably going to be easy to beat.

Well, he sat down, we started. I won the first couple of matches easily. The guy is getting obviously irritated at this point. The next match, I figured I'd switch characters to make it more interesting. I go to do so, and he just outright yells at me, telling me to pick the same character again. So I dont change characters after all, and he wins the next match. He says, loudly, "That's RIGHT. That's how it goes, you scrub!". This is the point where my patience completely snapped and I got rather enraged. In the fighting games I play, I have never lost a match while in that state, as I'm dramatically faster and more coordinated when that's going on. The guy had no chance, none of his attacks worked after that. That match ended, and I said "Okay, that's enough now", and got up to leave. He jumped up, screamed an f-bomb at the top of his lungs (drowning out everything else in the gameroom, which as is typical was a loud place to begin with), launches the controller (which wasnt his) at the table, and storms out. And I'm thinking.... what in the hell is wrong with that guy? Why cant he just sit down and enjoy the damn game? Why play it at all if you're going to react like that and break everyone's enjoyment of it?

But I've since run into way too many more of that type of player, though none had a moment quite that extreme as he did (yet). And really, it's just... pathetic. Particularly with online games like mobas, where not only do they get angry, but they get angry OFTEN. Over and over and over. And I just dont get why they're even playing at that point. Just... ugh. I hate that sort of thing. It just ruins the whole experience. Particularly in person, where you cant just mute them.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 1:01 am

YippySkippy wrote:
It's just laziness and a lack of concern.

No, it's not, but I'm glad you think you have us all figured out.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 2:17 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
I find a disturbing amount of people who are *literally* immature (as in children) are online playing games meant for people 18 and over.

This. My husband used to play Assassin's Creed online, and there were always high-pitched little kids running around in the same games as foul-mouthed men. Video games and online gaming have been around long enough now for ALL parents to know better, regardless of whether they are gamers themselves. It's just laziness and a lack of concern.

I just noticed this post.

Going along with Ominous' post, you're making an arbitrary generalization here. I'm into gaming myself, have been for as long as I can remember, and there's never been laziness or a lack of concern anywhere about it.

My parents sure as heck arent either of those things, and neither am I, as I always make a point of being courteous and actually caring. If my teammate/opponent isnt having a good time, this makes me not have a good time. I do not swear or yell at others though, regardless of the situation. I try to keep things fun.

And I dont know where in the world laziness could fit into that at all.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 2:28 am

Misery wrote:
And I dont know where in the world laziness could fit into that at all.

Didn't ya know that people can tell how lazy and unfit someone's parents are by whether or not a person's voice sounds old enough to be playing an MA game? I have to get my kid off steam asap lest somebody assume I don't know what he's doing on there when he plays mature games.

It certainly couldn't be because I have long and involved discussions about the games my son plays, watch him play the games, sometimes play with him, and have developed a healthy relationship with him based on trust without arbitrary definitions set by the censorship industry to determine what he is and isn't mature enough to play. Nah, couldn't be that. I'm just too lazy and neglectful to bother. Probably why I home ed him, too, because I just can't be bothered to get him ready for school in the morning. ;)

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 1:25 pm

I miss the days of the arcades, when someone had to be within arm's length in order to be annoying, "grief" or make insulting remarks.