Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

If you had a time machine, what would you do?
Bring copies of Tesla's notebooks back to this timeline and make them available to everyone for free on the internet. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rescue the artists you like who died prematurely throughout history, expose them to modern medicine, bring them back to this timeline and finance new artworks. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Empower the Iroquis confederacy to the point where they can prevent the indian genocides, eventually being peacefully amalgamated into the U.S.A and bringing about a dominant hybrid culture of Iroquis and European sensibilities. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Rescue the scrolls at the Library of Alexandria, and the House of Wisdom, bring them back to this timeline and release them to the public. 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Build an Ark, travel to Mu, Atlantis, Lumeria etc just before their respective collapses, rescue and re-settle everyone then pump them for information. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Something else. 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 7:57 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Why do all the stock options involve travelling to the past?

Tell me one current stock where I can invest $1,000 and get back $100,000 in 12 months. :P

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 8:00 pm

Narrator wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

Tell me one current stock where I can invest $1,000 and get back $100,000 in 12 months. :P

Tell me you aren't interested in seeing what the future has in store for humanity (assuming we have one).

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 8:09 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Narrator wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

Tell me you aren't interested in seeing what the future has in store for humanity (assuming we have one).

At 57, I've played that question over in my head many many times.
I spent a whole year back in 1971 being afraid we were going to blow the planet to pieces.
But.... I would love to see what it looks like in 50 years, 200 years, 500 years.
Meanwhile, the past still has some value to be unearthed.
Even my own past has much value... even if only to me. :P

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 8:42 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Narrator wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

what if you travel to the future when earth is gone or radiated, and you die when opening the door. too risky

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 9:30 pm

Narrator wrote:
At 57, I've played that question over in my head many many times.
I spent a whole year back in 1971 being afraid we were going to blow the planet to pieces.
But.... I would love to see what it looks like in 50 years, 200 years, 500 years.
Meanwhile, the past still has some value to be unearthed.
Even my own past has much value... even if only to me. :P

The question has been a consistent one throughout my life too. Perhaps it stems from a desire to know that it all works out in the end, though a big part is that I'd be excited to see the technology of 500+ years from now. It'd also be interesting to see how future humans would respond, though the possibility of becoming a 26th century media curiosity is somewhat daunting. There are thousands of considerations, none of which I have the time to contemplate in a forum post, sadly.

sly279 wrote:
what if you travel to the future when earth is gone or radiated, and you die when opening the door. too risky

Well if we're going to invent hypothetical hurdles, I'm going to respond by taking exactly the right tools to deal with any hypothetical eventuality and we end at a stalemate.